Rape culture in pro-wrestling

• Please log in to reply
99 replies to this topic

#41 LifeIsAWork

LifeIsAWork
  • Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 04 November 2017 - 08:21 AM

Is it valuable at all to talk about the kayfabe element here? Example...HHH's faux-then-real-then-DUDE THESE TWO PEOPLE ACTUALLY GOT MARRIED LATER ON wedding angle was designed by a company desperately trying to get him over as the uber-bad guy (never worked, in my estimation).

I don't know if I even validate (let alone accept) the idea that it isn't a reinforcement of rape culture if it's the bad guys who are doing it...and that's an especially bullshit argument in the Russo-Attitude Era when no one was supposed to be a true face or heel...but I do feel reasonably certain that They were the heels would be the counterargument offered by the writer/bookers.  

#42 sek69

sek69

Winnipeg Arena's gonna be on fire

• Members
  • 10728 posts

Posted 04 November 2017 - 01:11 PM

In HHH's case in particular they were trying (too hard IMO) for the cool heel element with him and somehow thought that was how to achive that.

#43 LifeIsAWork

LifeIsAWork
  • Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 08 November 2017 - 03:01 PM

In HHH's case in particular they were trying (too hard IMO) for the cool heel element with him and somehow thought that was how to achive that.

No doubt they were trying too hard (I think I have a near-fanatical desire to expose how tragic that prolonged effort was for the business). I just don't know if his actions were supposed to be perceived as cool* as opposed to super-villainous. 

*Let's be clear, I don't care, ultimately. Rape is among the unthinkable offenses that, to me, are incredibly unwise to portray in pro wrestling subject matter. I'm not onboard, personally, under any circumstances. Hell, I think overt blasphemy is a stupid idea, and I'm a left-winger. 

I just wonder if we think that one can validate booking/writing rape if (and only if) the justification the creative team gave was "he's the bad guy!" Because...ideally...that would always have to be part of the justification, right? Not that they haven't made Kane the Rape-Babyface a couple of times, I think.      

#44 superkix

superkix
  • Members
  • 506 posts

Posted 10 November 2017 - 04:47 PM

I'm pretty sure most Danshoku Dino matches count. 

#45 Loss

Loss
  • Admins
  • 43648 posts

Posted 19 November 2017 - 12:24 AM

Not to defend the taste level of that angle, but just to point out that the HHH-Stephanie drugged and date raped thing was revealed to be the two of them scheming a week later.

#46 flyonthewall2983

flyonthewall2983
  • Members
  • 2696 posts

Posted 29 November 2017 - 10:13 AM

I seem to remember Vince defending something (might have been Trish on her fours barking like a dog *douchechills*) to Bill Costas saying that weeks later his character got his comeuppance from that. The Attitude Era's booking ran the risk of doing these highly tasteless things that would turn people off from watching it, who later wouldn't care at all if there was something to counter-balance it from a story-telling point of view. 

I'm remembering this from memory but there's a pretty funny moment on Prichard's show about the XFL when he talked about the time Stephanie was on camera in the crowd, and everybody around her was chanting "slut! slut! slut!" to her. Bruce was in the production truck, and someone inside was freaking out saying "who is it? get her out of there" thinking there might have been a woman who took a top off or something. Bruce then had to explain to her that they were chanting that to the on-screen persona of who they sent out in the crowd to do a segment for their national broadcast. I say it's funny because I can imagine just how bewildering to someone who wasn't aware of the McMahons something like that would be.

#47 El-P

El-P

NFLTG

• Members
  • 9181 posts

Posted 02 December 2017 - 03:58 PM

I'm kinda amazed that on the verge of the Harvey Weinstein debacle, we heard no one in "da business" come out and tell about some shit that surely happened.

Then again, the WWE was paying a tribute to Jimmy Snuka not too long ago, so that's one of a kind business for sure... But still. 

#48 Loss

Loss
  • Admins
  • 43648 posts

Posted 02 December 2017 - 04:43 PM

I keep expecting it to happen and still think it's only a matter of time. The question is if anyone will care. I think they still benefit from the perception that because "it's all fake", somehow the people involved aren't real either.

#49 NintendoLogic

NintendoLogic

Grim and frostbitten

• Members
  • 2848 posts

Posted 03 December 2017 - 02:05 PM

I don't know. The ring boy scandals were a pretty huge deal in 1992.

#50 fakeplastictrees

fakeplastictrees
  • Members
  • 777 posts

Posted 03 December 2017 - 09:13 PM

Reading through this thread and the reactions, ideas, etc. shared around the web in the past few months--I will discuss this unfortunate aspect of our culture on a future episode of MIS.

#51 Bix

Bix
  • DVDVR 80s Project
  • 6293 posts

Posted 04 December 2017 - 12:49 AM

I don't know. The ring boy scandals were a pretty huge deal in 1992.

Were they?

The only national media attention was on daytime talk and tabloid shows. It was largely a New York story. When NBC News was reporting out a segment for a new prime time show around the indictment in late 1993, WWE got it killed when their fixer planted a bunch of nonsense about the producer (an incredibly well respected reporter) colluding with the investigator from the US Attorney's Office.

We think of it as a big mainstream story, and it would be absorption gigantic now, but WWE absolutely lucked out that the coverage was mostly confined to a sports opinion column in a not super respected New York newspaper.

#52 Jmare007

Jmare007
  • Members
  • 1320 posts

Posted 09 December 2017 - 11:26 AM

I'm kinda amazed that on the verge of the Harvey Weinstein debacle, we heard no one in "da business" come out and tell about some shit that surely happened.

Then again, the WWE was paying a tribute to Jimmy Snuka not too long ago, so that's one of a kind business for sure... But still. 

Does the SeanOrleans/Mike Elgin/Glory Pro stuff  count?

https://411mania.com...sexual-assault/

https://twitter.com/...261602544709633

https://twitter.com/...263007867179010

ps: I still have no clue how to embed tweets on this board.

#53 sek69

sek69

• Members
  • 10728 posts

Posted 09 December 2017 - 04:39 PM

It's been funny seeing the reaction to Jerry Lawler making less than respectable comments about women recently. Like, yeah, it's gross but did anyone expect anything else from the guy who's fondness for young girls was so well known it was made a running gag on WWE commentary? 

#54 El-P

El-P

NFLTG

• Members
  • 9181 posts

Posted 09 December 2017 - 04:49 PM

It's been funny seeing the reaction to Jerry Lawler making less than respectable comments about women recently.

I would certainly enjoy a link or two.

And yeah, the Lawler case is pretty interesting in these matters...

#55 sek69

sek69

• Members
  • 10728 posts

Posted 09 December 2017 - 05:22 PM

(I know, it's the Sun, but the story hits all the important points)

https://www.thesun.c...sault-comments/

#56 El-P

El-P

NFLTG

• Members
  • 9181 posts

Posted 10 December 2017 - 07:18 AM

Yeah, Lawler does sound like an old sexist pig. It was embarrassing enough having him going crazy for "puppies" back in 99.

#57 Alucard

Alucard
  • Members
  • 311 posts

Posted 10 December 2017 - 06:08 PM

Shelly Martinez a few days ago on Twitter

"I almost got raped while on a over seas tour. Since then others have shared with me they were raped. So sad. I appreciate those who are concerned about me after I tweeted about almost being raped in WWE I’m totally fine. I’ve lived with all this since then so it’s nothing new. I was just chiming in on my experience to help raise awareness......This isn’t the 1st time I’ve mentioned it. I’ve done an audio diary on it before. Maybe people are paying attention this time due to what going on it Hollywood."

It came up after Russo claimed on his podcast that a female wrestler told him she was raped by one of the male wrestlers while working in WWE.

#58 El-P

El-P

NFLTG

• Members
  • 9181 posts

Posted 11 December 2017 - 04:15 AM

Wow. Terrible. I honestly hope the shit will hit the fan sooner than later. 

#59 El-P

El-P

NFLTG

• Members
  • 9181 posts

Posted 24 January 2018 - 11:11 AM

So 'member when the WWE had this great tag team, Enzo (alleged rapist) & Cass (vocal Trump supporter) ?

#60 sek69

sek69

• Members
  • 10728 posts

Posted 24 January 2018 - 04:13 PM

I mean, I don't like a thing about the guy and anyone supporting him at this stage def. gets side eye from me, but that's not in the same universe as being an (alleged) rapist. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users