Pro Wrestling Only

Rape culture in pro-wrestling

El-P

I don't know. The ring boy scandals were a pretty huge deal in 1992.

Were they?

The only national media attention was on daytime talk and tabloid shows. It was largely a New York story. When NBC News was reporting out a segment for a new prime time show around the indictment in late 1993, WWE got it killed when their fixer planted a bunch of nonsense about the producer (an incredibly well respected reporter) colluding with the investigator from the US Attorney's Office.

We think of it as a big mainstream story, and it would be absorption gigantic now, but WWE absolutely lucked out that the coverage was mostly confined to a sports opinion column in a not super respected New York newspaper.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm kinda amazed that on the verge of the Harvey Weinstein debacle, we heard no one in "da business" come out and tell about some shit that surely happened.

Then again, the WWE was paying a tribute to Jimmy Snuka not too long ago, so that's one of a kind business for sure... But still.

Does the SeanOrleans/Mike Elgin/Glory Pro stuff count?

https://411mania.com/wrestling/michael-elgin-sells-glory-pro-quits-twitter-glory-pro-wrestler-accused-sexual-assault/

https://twitter.com/Th_BodyElectric/status/939261602544709633

https://twitter.com/Th_BodyElectric/status/939263007867179010/photo/1?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fs9e.github.io%2Fiframe%2Ftwitter.min.html%23939263007867179010

ps: I still have no clue how to embed tweets on this board.

It's been funny seeing the reaction to Jerry Lawler making less than respectable comments about women recently. Like, yeah, it's gross but did anyone expect anything else from the guy who's fondness for young girls was so well known it was made a running gag on WWE commentary?

I'm kinda amazed that on the verge of the Harvey Weinstein debacle, we heard no one in "da business" come out and tell about some shit that surely happened.

Shelly Martinez a few days ago on Twitter

"I almost got raped while on a over seas tour. Since then others have shared with me they were raped. So sad. I appreciate those who are concerned about me after I tweeted about almost being raped in WWE I’m totally fine. I’ve lived with all this since then so it’s nothing new. I was just chiming in on my experience to help raise awareness......This isn’t the 1st time I’ve mentioned it. I’ve done an audio diary on it before. Maybe people are paying attention this time due to what going on it Hollywood."

It came up after Russo claimed on his podcast that a female wrestler told him she was raped by one of the male wrestlers while working in WWE.

• 1 month later...

It should be noted that Enzo probably didn't rape the girl. She was apparently bragging to her friend about having slept with a wrestler the night it happened. I'd guess she just regretted it later when she went to the police, which seems a pretty common thing these days. Dude's a dick backstage and he handled the situation poorly in not telling WWE about it, but he's not a rapist.

It should be noted that Enzo probably didn't rape the girl. She was apparently bragging to her friend about having slept with a wrestler the night it happened. I'd guess she just regretted it later when she went to the police, which seems a pretty common thing these days. Dude's a dick backstage and he handled the situation poorly in not telling WWE about it, but he's not a rapist.

Like Bix said, fuck you. If you really think that, you should really study the issue, because this is flat out wrong.

That's really not what this sounds like. She sounds like a compulsive liar to the point you shouldn't believe anything she says. Her credibility is bad enough that it will keep him out of prison. I think he most likely is innocent. But he is a dumb fuck and if he didn't do this, I hope he uses this as a wake up call to stop being a dumb fuck.

It should also be noted that the backstage segment where Mickie James came on to Trish Stratus' date and then accused him of assaulting her when he rebuffed her was inspired by that incident.

This is why XFL the Reborn has a good chance of biting Vince in the ass. It makes him someone the mainstream media has to cover seriously rather than ignore as the fake pro wrestling guy. With all the skeletons in his closet, you have to think it's only a matter of time before some of them come to light.

• 2 weeks later...

Mookie did a breakdown on what "exceptionally cleared" means on the Wrestlenomics podcast and the only two options are that the State Attorney found conflicting testimony or that they flat out didn't want to proceed on the case. Considering the police report made it clear the cops felt the case was solid enough seems to imply the latter.