Pro Wrestling Only

The XWF

The XWF: Part One

What if I told you in late 2001 there was a wrestling promotion backed by Shark Tank investor Kevin Harrington that could have very well challenged the WWE and brought back competition to the business? With a roster that included the likes of Hulk Hogan, Curt Hennig, Road Warriors and a young AJ Styles, the company was built for success both short and long term. However, Vince McMahon must have sensed competition and snatched up the major talents.
I'm taking a look at the company and their three pilot episodes that were used to pitch to various networks.

I remember seeing Curt Henning was really sad on these. His face had that bloated look that really made you realize he was going to die soon.

Past that. The promotion had a lot of problems from the first 3 episodes but I thought there was some potential there as well. Schiavone and Lawler were an oddball commentary team that didn't work, I hated the Piper/Sable power struggle and there were some really past their prime teams getting pushed. But with that said, the cruiserweights had a ton of potential and they kept the matches short and sweet. I would have had this on my DVR every week if it had gotten picked up by a network.

• 4 weeks later...