Pro Wrestling Only

[2000-06-11-GAEA] Mayumi Ozaki & Akira Hokuto & Kaoru vs Chigusa Nagayo & Meiko Satomura & Chikayo Nagashima

soup23

As much as I hated the previous match, this is another brawl on the same day in the same building that I loved. I think the opening of the heel trio just demolishing Nagayo’s arms set the tone for the rest of the match. Meiko was an animal in this match and her exchanges with Hokuto were tremendous. I also got a lot out of Karou’s facials as at one point, Ozaki is giving forearms in the corner and Koaru has the biggest grin on his face in pure delight. A chaotic and frantic match that ends with Hokuto getting the victory on Nagashima with the other members of her team looking on. This match had a brawling feel but it also clearly defined the factions that were waging and it created some beautiful visuals. **** (8.0)

• 1 month later...

Hokuto completely stole the show here: the viciousness, the taunting, off the charts great selling. Kaoru was great too. Pretty great chaotic brawl with a nice heel-face divide and attention to detail. The initial Chigusa isolation and beatdown was probably the best part but the rest of the match was top notch as well. The finish was a terrific visual thanks to more Hokuto brilliance. ****

• 3 months later...

Hokuto's hair was awful here and that's saying something since she had some ghastly hairdos during her career. She looked like a demented ragdoll. Really good match with the heels working Chigusa over allowing the younger girls to come to the fore. The commentators pushed it as a "Heisei" vs "Showa" battle -- the younger generation vs. the older generation -- and that was typified by Satomura vs. Hokuto. Satomura/Hokuto was the last great feud that Hokuto had. The young star was able to draw the fire from Akira one last time and she produced her best late-period work against the GAEA prodigy. Their work here was excellent and the near submission of Hokuto was the high point of the bout. I liked the way that Hokuto harkened back to her days as the leader of Las Cachorras Orientales with the triple team spots. The Ozaki vs. Nagashima dynamic was also strong with Nagashima having just quit Oz Academy to return to the GAEA fold.

This reminded me of all the fun 3 1/2 star bouts the Oz Academy vs. GAEA feud produced in the late 90s. A bit garbagey in spots but the wrestling scene is like that across the board in 2000. Worth watching if you want to see some good post-AJW Hokuto.

• 2 months later...
  • GSR changed the title to [2000-06-11-GAEA] Mayumi Ozaki & Akira Hokuto & Kaoru vs Chigusa Nagayo & Meiko Satomura & Chikayo Nagashima
  • 3 years later...