Photo

FOR YOUR CONSIDERATION... A Podcast series discussing the nominations for the GWWE project

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#21 JKWebb

JKWebb
  • Members
  • 826 posts

Posted 13 July 2017 - 06:29 PM

Some of things I'd point to are the Roberts feud, Bret Hart 3/8/86 is a good one, and Bob Orton Jr. 7/20/85 is really good.  He's got a good Valentine match in 85, and I like his stuff when he came back and faced Jericho in that tag at mania and PPV following...  Anyways, I think it's not about his longevity that he ranks so high for me, I just think he always performs exceptionally.  In my opinion, he performs at such a high level that he would surpass someone who had a longer career with the company (because in my eyes, they likely never reached his level).  Also, the historical significance for the Savage feud is pretty high in my book.  That's just some quick reasons.  I can probably discuss further when I have a little more time to think about it.  For example, you mentioned Christian.  Christian will rank highly on my list, so don't get me wrong.  I'll just rank Steamboat higher because I think his in-ring work was at a higher level than Christian.  I also don't think Christian had any moments that would come close to WrestleMania III.  Again, Christian is around 32 or 33 for me (where Steamboat is 20).  So, I'm not trashing.  I'm just saying what made the difference to me.

#22 goodhelmet

goodhelmet
  • Admins
  • 18946 posts

Posted 16 July 2017 - 05:33 AM

I don't put a premium on longevity for this project. Instead, how did he use the time in the company? How emotionally invested was I in this guy? If I have zero emotional investment, then they don't rank high. Someone like Steamer... 100% emotional investment.

#23 goodhelmet

goodhelmet
  • Admins
  • 18946 posts

Posted 19 July 2017 - 10:16 AM

http://placetobenati...n-of-wrestling/

For Your Consideration #5: Women of Wrestling

Will from Texas is joined by Glenn Butler (Podcast Hour Spectacular and Wednesday Walk Around the Web) & Stacey O’Loughlin (Stacey & Elliott’s Bogus Journey) to discuss the women in consideration for the GWWE Project. They discuss the biggest names from the Attitude era, the divas that followed, all the way to the current crop of transformative superstars. The following women are discussed:

Sable
Chyna
Molly Holly
Lita
Trish Stratus
Beth Phoenix
AJ Lee
Asuka
Becky Lynch
Sasha Banks
Bayley
Charlotte Flair

#24 elliott

elliott
  • Members
  • 1286 posts

Posted 21 July 2017 - 12:37 PM

First I wanted to say I loved the podcast yall did with Glenn running down the WWE women. I really need to give Asuka a fair look from the sound of things. Thus far, I've got Sasha, Becky, Trish, Charlotte, Bayley locked in. Depending on what my list looks like as we get closer to the due date, I could see putting the Jumping Bomb Angels at 99 & 100. I promised MattD I would give Judy Martin an honest look as well so I still need to do that. I have Moolah ranked right below Kane and Kevin Owens as the worst wrestlers in company history.

I'm currently watching every Trish Stratus match in preparation for a Mega Trish show Stacey and I are gonna do. Stacey's talking point about Trish being an all time great bumper is a real thing. Its kind of hard to compare her to someone like Kobashi or Misawa who would take a million neck breaking bumps in a match. Trish would only get her 2-5 minutes and couldn't cram in the quantity of bumps in like those guys. But the big bumps she took were completely fucking insane. Tons of bumps off powerbombs and moves like that where she's taking a Misawa level bump. Stuff where she bumps from the top rope to the floor and lands on her face. Etc etc. Its really kinda ridiculous.

If I knew how to edit and make videos I'd absolutely make a "Trish kills herself" montage on youtube. But here are some examples Stacey shared that really made me go back and start watching these matches to see if Trish really belonged on the list:

6min in:

http://www.dailymoti...m/video/x3datng (I'm pretty sure this is actually her last match because surely she died after that bump)

6min 30sec in:

http://www.dailymoti...m/video/x550nfh

4min 20sec in:

3min 15 sec in:

http://www.dailymoti...m/video/x473sln

#25 goodhelmet

goodhelmet
  • Admins
  • 18946 posts

Posted 21 July 2017 - 08:52 PM

Awesome post! Thanks for the feedback

And you're right... those Trish bumps are insane.

#26 SomethingSavage

SomethingSavage
  • Members
  • 825 posts

Posted 22 July 2017 - 06:40 AM

Holy shit. I don't know that I ever would've went out searching for some random Trish matches to re-watch before this, but yeah. The whole "Trish is such a nutty bumper" talking point has piqued my interest a bit now. Props to Stacey for that.

#27 WingedEagle

WingedEagle
  • Members
  • 5073 posts

Posted 22 July 2017 - 09:08 AM

Wow.  Elliott -- those bumps are out of this world.  When I was watching her PPV matches on the Network they always struck me as solid for the era but a far cry from anything we'd see now.  But I don't ever remember anything like that standing out.  Did Trish regularly kill herself like that?

#28 Jimmy Redman

Jimmy Redman
  • Members
  • 2338 posts

Posted 22 July 2017 - 11:41 PM

Regularly.

Those ones are all from a period of a month or so, maybe a couple of months in 2003. I was already raving about her bumps and then I saw all of those one after the other and was just laughing at how it kept happening so I began sharing them with Elliott and Matt.

There are plenty of other examples of similar bumps throughout her career, but particularly in 2002-03 when she was a face. WMX8 has quite a few. I'd have to comb through the files for more specifics.

I just super don't know how she's not dead.

#29 WingedEagle

WingedEagle
  • Members
  • 5073 posts

Posted 23 July 2017 - 04:10 PM

Regularly.

Those ones are all from a period of a month or so, maybe a couple of months in 2003. I was already raving about her bumps and then I saw all of those one after the other and was just laughing at how it kept happening so I began sharing them with Elliott and Matt.

There are plenty of other examples of similar bumps throughout her career, but particularly in 2002-03 when she was a face. WMX8 has quite a few. I'd have to comb through the files for more specifics.

I just super don't know how she's not dead.

Impressive.  On the one hand I don't feel too badly because its not like the women were pushed as much more than eye candy then which limited how seriously I'd ever approach those matches.  On the other, damn.  Absolutely need to take a look at this with a fresh eye.  Who knows when that'll happen, but we'll get there.  

#30 elliott

elliott
  • Members
  • 1286 posts

Posted 23 July 2017 - 04:28 PM

Trish's bumps remind me of that bizarre Meltzer talking point about Bruiser Brody. How he'd spend the whole match throwing worked strikes and then in the middle out of nowhere he'd kick somebody in the chest legit to "bring the fans back into the match." Presumably because Brody matches were terrible and couldn't keep the fans interest? I dunno. It was always a weird talking point Meltzer first brought up like 20 years after Brody had died. And. You know. We can't point to a single example of that happening. Nor does it really make sense as a positive trait.

Anyway, it does kinda remind me of Trish's death bumps that she would do in 3 minute long match designed for the crowd to not take seriously. That was something she could do to draw people's attention in a way that went beyond "TITS! YEAAAAAAHHHH!"

Also in regards to this...

When I was watching her PPV matches on the Network they always struck me as solid for the era but a far cry from anything we'd see now.

You're just not going to get anything that compares to the best stuff of this era of Women's Wrestling. It just didn't happen. But that's all about opportunity. Ric Flair or El Hijo del Santo couldn't have a "great match" in 1:25 against Torrie Wilson. That's just not something that's feasible. So Trish's case isn't going to be about "look at these hidden gem MOTYC's that we found! Holy Crap!" Her case is more like Buddy Rose's than Mitsuharu Misawa's. You gotta watch everything. :)

However, I have no doubt if she came back on RAW tomorrow and was getting thrown into 15 minute matches with Sasha or Becky or Charlotte, that Trish would be more than capable of holding up her end.

#31 WingedEagle

WingedEagle
  • Members
  • 5073 posts

Posted 23 July 2017 - 04:37 PM

Trish's bumps remind me of that bizarre Meltzer talking point about Bruiser Brody. How he'd spend the whole match throwing worked strikes and then in the middle out of nowhere he'd kick somebody in the chest legit to "bring the fans back into the match." Presumably because Brody matches were terrible and couldn't keep the fans interest? I dunno. It was always a weird talking point Meltzer first brought up like 20 years after Brody had died. And. You know. We can't point to a single example of that happening. Nor does it really make sense as a positive trait.

Anyway, it does kinda remind me of Trish's death bumps that she would do in 3 minute long match designed for the crowd to not take seriously. That was something she could do to draw people's attention in a way that went beyond "TITS! YEAAAAAAHHHH!"

Also in regards to this...

When I was watching her PPV matches on the Network they always struck me as solid for the era but a far cry from anything we'd see now.

You're just not going to get anything that compares to the best stuff of this era of Women's Wrestling. It just didn't happen. But that's all about opportunity. Ric Flair or El Hijo del Santo couldn't have a "great match" in 1:25 against Torrie Wilson. That's just not something that's feasible. So Trish's case isn't going to be about "look at these hidden gem MOTYC's that we found! Holy Crap!" Her case is more like Buddy Rose's than Mitsuharu Misawa's. You gotta watch everything. :)

However, I have no doubt if she came back on RAW tomorrow and was getting thrown into 15 minute matches with Sasha or Becky or Charlotte, that Trish would be more than capable of holding up her end.

Oh I don't doubt it.  She definitely requires a different eye and was simply never put out there to have great matches.  No doubt she'd hang in the current environment.

#32 WingedEagle

WingedEagle
  • Members
  • 5073 posts

Posted 23 July 2017 - 04:40 PM

Although I'm not sure how much I can take away from so many short matches where the goal may have very well been to carry non-workers to non-disasters.  Not on her, but its certainly very limiting.  Almost like a clip reel of highlights rather than game film.

#33 bradhindsight

bradhindsight
  • Moderators
  • 1551 posts

Posted 02 August 2017 - 08:31 AM

http://placetobenati...ck-n-wrestling/

For Your Consideration #6: More Rock ‘n’ Wrestling!

Johnny Sorrow and El Boricua join Will from Texas to run down more wrestlers for the GWWE project. Which wrestlers excelled in the ring in other territories? Which characters fizzled and which ones became iconic? Why is Bobby Heenan on the list? All this and much more!

Hillbilly Jim
Jim Duggan
Iron Sheik
George Steele
Big Boss Man
Akeem/One Man Gang
Harley Race
Mr. Perfect
Ted Dibiase
Jimmy Snuka
Roddy Piper
Bobby Heenan

#34 bradhindsight

bradhindsight
  • Moderators
  • 1551 posts

Posted 02 August 2017 - 08:32 AM

http://placetobenati...-have-happened/

For Your Consideration #7: The WCW Invasion That Should Have Happened!

Will from Texas, Johnny Sorrow and Parv reunite to discuss wrestlers who made a splash in both WCW and the WWF. Who had more highlights in WCW? Who really made their name in the WWE? And who really made their mark on both companies? The following wrestlers are discussed…

Mike Rotundo
Rick Rude
Animal/ Hawk
Ric Flair
Rick Steiner/ Scott Steiner
Lex Luger
Brian Pillman
Finlay
William Regal
Booker T
Chris Jericho
Eddie Guerrero

#35 Johnny Sorrow

Johnny Sorrow
  • Members
  • 4453 posts

Posted 02 August 2017 - 10:45 PM

Those last two shows with Boriqua and Parv were a blast. Thanks to both for helping curtail Will's weird bullshit and my big mouth.😎

#36 PeteF3

PeteF3
  • Members
  • 8974 posts

Posted 02 August 2017 - 10:53 PM

PARV!!! Holy shit, I thought Will's return was big news.

#37 cheapshot

cheapshot

The chap they call Allan.

• Members
  • 1037 posts

Posted 03 August 2017 - 07:48 AM

Parv talking about IRS again was a joy to behold. I hope he sticks around a bit more, as this place and PTBN shows aren't quite the same without his unique takes. 

#38 WingedEagle

WingedEagle
  • Members
  • 5073 posts

Posted 03 August 2017 - 07:49 AM

Parv talking about IRS again was a joy to behold. I hope he sticks around a bit more, as this place and PTBN shows aren't quite the same without his unique takes. 

Cosign.  Definitely miss his takes.

#39 Bigelow34

Bigelow34
  • Members
  • 990 posts

Posted 07 August 2017 - 07:13 AM

Johnny Sorrow and El Boricua join Will from Texas to run down more wrestlers for the GWWE project. Which wrestlers excelled in the ring in other territories? Which characters fizzled and which ones became iconic? Why is Bobby Heenan on the list? All this and much more!

Hillbilly Jim
Jim Duggan
Iron Sheik
George Steele
Big Boss Man
Akeem/One Man Gang
Harley Race
Mr. Perfect
Ted Dibiase
Jimmy Snuka
Roddy Piper
Bobby Heenan

Really enjoyed this one... Boricua was great! Also very interesting stuff on Bobby Heenan, will be interesting how that shakes out but it was a great discussion.

#40 El Boricua

El Boricua
  • DVDVR 80s Project
  • 1484 posts

Posted 07 August 2017 - 12:49 PM

Hillbilly Jim
Jim Duggan
Iron Sheik
George Steele
Big Boss Man
Akeem/One Man Gang
Harley Race
Mr. Perfect
Ted Dibiase
Jimmy Snuka
Roddy Piper
Bobby Heenan

Really enjoyed this one... Boricua was great! Also very interesting stuff on Bobby Heenan, will be interesting how that shakes out but it was a great discussion.

Thank you for the kind words JT. For this (and other types of list projects such as last year's GWE), I've always operated on the belief that it's not my job to make an objective list, it's my job to make an honest list. Even now, a month removed from my conversation with Will and Johnny, I'm still struggling with whether or not to include Heenan on my list. There is no question as to Bobby Heenan's quality of work, impact and moments, and the high placement the whole package would deserve if he were to be included on GWWEWE list (as so eloquently was put forth by both Will and Johnny). My hang up continues to be if I can overcome that whole 'loophole-ish' feeling of him being nominated since in-ring wise as a wrestler is not where the bulk of his case is found.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users