Pro Wrestling Only

FOR YOUR CONSIDERATION... A Podcast series discussing the nominations for the GWWE project

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Regularly.

Those ones are all from a period of a month or so, maybe a couple of months in 2003. I was already raving about her bumps and then I saw all of those one after the other and was just laughing at how it kept happening so I began sharing them with Elliott and Matt.

There are plenty of other examples of similar bumps throughout her career, but particularly in 2002-03 when she was a face. WMX8 has quite a few. I'd have to comb through the files for more specifics.

I just super don't know how she's not dead.

Regularly.

Those ones are all from a period of a month or so, maybe a couple of months in 2003. I was already raving about her bumps and then I saw all of those one after the other and was just laughing at how it kept happening so I began sharing them with Elliott and Matt.

There are plenty of other examples of similar bumps throughout her career, but particularly in 2002-03 when she was a face. WMX8 has quite a few. I'd have to comb through the files for more specifics.

I just super don't know how she's not dead.

Impressive. On the one hand I don't feel too badly because its not like the women were pushed as much more than eye candy then which limited how seriously I'd ever approach those matches. On the other, damn. Absolutely need to take a look at this with a fresh eye. Who knows when that'll happen, but we'll get there.

Trish's bumps remind me of that bizarre Meltzer talking point about Bruiser Brody. How he'd spend the whole match throwing worked strikes and then in the middle out of nowhere he'd kick somebody in the chest legit to "bring the fans back into the match." Presumably because Brody matches were terrible and couldn't keep the fans interest? I dunno. It was always a weird talking point Meltzer first brought up like 20 years after Brody had died. And. You know. We can't point to a single example of that happening. Nor does it really make sense as a positive trait.

Anyway, it does kinda remind me of Trish's death bumps that she would do in 3 minute long match designed for the crowd to not take seriously. That was something she could do to draw people's attention in a way that went beyond "TITS! YEAAAAAAHHHH!"

Also in regards to this...

When I was watching her PPV matches on the Network they always struck me as solid for the era but a far cry from anything we'd see now.

You're just not going to get anything that compares to the best stuff of this era of Women's Wrestling. It just didn't happen. But that's all about opportunity. Ric Flair or El Hijo del Santo couldn't have a "great match" in 1:25 against Torrie Wilson. That's just not something that's feasible. So Trish's case isn't going to be about "look at these hidden gem MOTYC's that we found! Holy Crap!" Her case is more like Buddy Rose's than Mitsuharu Misawa's. You gotta watch everything. :)

However, I have no doubt if she came back on RAW tomorrow and was getting thrown into 15 minute matches with Sasha or Becky or Charlotte, that Trish would be more than capable of holding up her end.

Trish's bumps remind me of that bizarre Meltzer talking point about Bruiser Brody. How he'd spend the whole match throwing worked strikes and then in the middle out of nowhere he'd kick somebody in the chest legit to "bring the fans back into the match." Presumably because Brody matches were terrible and couldn't keep the fans interest? I dunno. It was always a weird talking point Meltzer first brought up like 20 years after Brody had died. And. You know. We can't point to a single example of that happening. Nor does it really make sense as a positive trait.

Anyway, it does kinda remind me of Trish's death bumps that she would do in 3 minute long match designed for the crowd to not take seriously. That was something she could do to draw people's attention in a way that went beyond "TITS! YEAAAAAAHHHH!"

Also in regards to this...

When I was watching her PPV matches on the Network they always struck me as solid for the era but a far cry from anything we'd see now.

You're just not going to get anything that compares to the best stuff of this era of Women's Wrestling. It just didn't happen. But that's all about opportunity. Ric Flair or El Hijo del Santo couldn't have a "great match" in 1:25 against Torrie Wilson. That's just not something that's feasible. So Trish's case isn't going to be about "look at these hidden gem MOTYC's that we found! Holy Crap!" Her case is more like Buddy Rose's than Mitsuharu Misawa's. You gotta watch everything. :)

However, I have no doubt if she came back on RAW tomorrow and was getting thrown into 15 minute matches with Sasha or Becky or Charlotte, that Trish would be more than capable of holding up her end.

Oh I don't doubt it. She definitely requires a different eye and was simply never put out there to have great matches. No doubt she'd hang in the current environment.

• 2 weeks later...

http://placetobenation.com/for-your-consideration-6-more-rock-n-wrestling/

For Your Consideration #6: More Rock ‘n’ Wrestling!

Johnny Sorrow and El Boricua join Will from Texas to run down more wrestlers for the GWWE project. Which wrestlers excelled in the ring in other territories? Which characters fizzled and which ones became iconic? Why is Bobby Heenan on the list? All this and much more!

Hillbilly Jim
Jim Duggan
Iron Sheik
George Steele
Big Boss Man
Akeem/One Man Gang
Harley Race
Mr. Perfect
Ted Dibiase
Jimmy Snuka
Roddy Piper
Bobby Heenan

http://placetobenation.com/for-your-consideration-7-the-wcw-invasion-that-should-have-happened/

For Your Consideration #7: The WCW Invasion That Should Have Happened!

Will from Texas, Johnny Sorrow and Parv reunite to discuss wrestlers who made a splash in both WCW and the WWF. Who had more highlights in WCW? Who really made their name in the WWE? And who really made their mark on both companies? The following wrestlers are discussed…

Mike Rotundo
Rick Rude
Animal/ Hawk
Ric Flair
Rick Steiner/ Scott Steiner
Lex Luger
Brian Pillman
Finlay
William Regal
Booker T
Chris Jericho
Eddie Guerrero

Johnny Sorrow and El Boricua join Will from Texas to run down more wrestlers for the GWWE project. Which wrestlers excelled in the ring in other territories? Which characters fizzled and which ones became iconic? Why is Bobby Heenan on the list? All this and much more!

Hillbilly Jim

Jim Duggan

Iron Sheik

George Steele

Big Boss Man

Akeem/One Man Gang

Harley Race

Mr. Perfect

Ted Dibiase

Jimmy Snuka

Roddy Piper

Bobby Heenan

Really enjoyed this one... Boricua was great! Also very interesting stuff on Bobby Heenan, will be interesting how that shakes out but it was a great discussion.

Hillbilly Jim

Jim Duggan

Iron Sheik

George Steele

Big Boss Man

Akeem/One Man Gang

Harley Race

Mr. Perfect

Ted Dibiase

Jimmy Snuka

Roddy Piper

Bobby Heenan

Really enjoyed this one... Boricua was great! Also very interesting stuff on Bobby Heenan, will be interesting how that shakes out but it was a great discussion.

Thank you for the kind words JT. For this (and other types of list projects such as last year's GWE), I've always operated on the belief that it's not my job to make an objective list, it's my job to make an honest list. Even now, a month removed from my conversation with Will and Johnny, I'm still struggling with whether or not to include Heenan on my list. There is no question as to Bobby Heenan's quality of work, impact and moments, and the high placement the whole package would deserve if he were to be included on GWWEWE list (as so eloquently was put forth by both Will and Johnny). My hang up continues to be if I can overcome that whole 'loophole-ish' feeling of him being nominated since in-ring wise as a wrestler is not where the bulk of his case is found.

NOW people want to say nice things about Trish Stratus. I'd be willing to do a whole podcast laying out my case she's the WWF female GOAT if anyone is willing to listen. Or check out my microscope thread if you want to see how much research I've done.

But that aside, I was thinking about avoiding this thinking it another GWE poll like the last one. But if you are going to approach this with such an open mind and produce some amazing podcasts, I guess it's time to start giving this series a listen. Feedback to come soon.

I've really been enjoying these podcasts (and the podblasts and other discussions) precisely because they have been so open minded and people are really stepping up to go to bat for people more outside the box than conventional wisdom would say. With these things there is always a risk that it it's a list of just the most famous or people that won world titles, but it's really great to see so many varied opinions being shared and interesting discussion points raised that's opening my eyes to names you might not think about considering. In particular loved the women's wrestling episode where there was great chemistry between Will. Stacey and Glenn, and I'm definitely another fully on the get Trish Stratus into the top 100 wagon!

Thanks for the nice feedback guys. I had a blast doing the women's show, and I agree that it's been great getting content on a lot of candidates besides the obvious, whether it's women, random midcarders, tag teams, pre-Hogan guys...even Tim going to bat for Pete Dunne or something. We're going to end up with almost all of the candidates delved into in some way or other I imagine, which is fantastic.

PWOers who didn't want to dive back into another GWE should definitely consider getting involved. It is way more relaxed and I think with WWE being what it is, there is more focus on characters and things that are, shall we say, a bit "lighter" than what we often get into here. And all it takes is joining the Facebook group and adding to the discussion on whichever candidates you choose (and listening to the audio of course).

brainfollower the Trish pod is coming!

• 3 weeks later...

I'm just now catching up on a bunch of these, and I'm enjoying the hell out of this series.

I really expected to hate the "Worst of the Worst" episode, because I find it annoying when people bitch & moan too much about the wrestling that they habitually and obsessively decide to watch anyway. But the show was a fucking blast. Tremendous, good fun all the way through.

The chemistry between Will and Johnny is still top shelf shit. Sorrow shutting down Will's rant about Muraco had me in stitches. "Yeah, yeah, yeah. And the only thing more boring than a Don Muraco match is your diatribe about how much you hate Don Muraco. So there." Left me legitimately cracking up.

Dylan stole the show though. The line about how Crush should have called his heart punch the Hawaiian Punch was great. Plus the point about Bray Wyatt feeling like such wasted potential was right on point. Calling him "more Kane and less Undertaker" than what people initially thought had me nodding in total agreement, for sure.

But best of all was after Steve piling on the criticisms for Shane McMahon coming in once or twice a year to wrestle a marquee match, only for Dylan to chime in at the end with the, "I'm sorry. My audio went out for a second, but I agree wholeheartedly with everything Steve just said about Brock Lesnar." Fucking fantastic.

The ECW show was a lot of fun, too. Kind of curious to see if Will comes away with a slightly elevated appreciation for Stevie Richards after watching some of his later C-show stuff.