Pro Wrestling Only

Have you ever cried watching wrestling?

joeg

Have you? I have. To the front of my mind I can think of at least 3 times I've gotten choked up watching wrestling- Kenta Kobashi's return from cancer in 07, Kobashi's retirement match, and Daniel Bryan's retirement speech. So what moments in wrestling have gotten you choked up or made you shed a tear?

Owen Hart's tribute show.

In general tribute shows for deceased workers are tear jerkers to get through, but for me, there always seems to be the reaction of one person that can set you off - for the Owen Hart show it's Jeff Jarrett's reaction, makes me well up whenever I've seen it. In the same vein, but a bit more uncomfortably it's Benoit's reaction on stage when they are doing the 10 bell salute to Eddie. That and the video package set to the Johnny Cash version of Hurt had me in floods back in the day.

Owen Hart's tribute show.

In general tribute shows for deceased workers are tear jerkers to get through, but for me, there always seems to be the reaction of one person that can set you off - for the Owen Hart show it's Jeff Jarrett's reaction, makes me well up whenever I've seen it.

I haven't watch any other tribute show (except maybe JWP's tribute to Plum, but that was different as it was years after the fact, I wasn't following WWE at all when Eddie died) and I hate tear-jerkers in general. But for Owen you could feel the genuine emotion of many, Jarrett being indeed the hardest one to watch, you could feel how devastated he was.

Last time was Bayley vs. Sasha at Summerslam

...but I'm the kind of guy to start crying when I see other people cry, and they started pulling tear jobs after 30 minute ironman matches, and had to cut that out. Enough was enough. But on the real I thought Bayley/Sasha was pretty transcendent stuff for a whole bunch of reasons. The allergies were on high alert

I kinda hate to admit it, but I cried at the end of Bayley/Sasha from Takeover Brooklyn 2015. The pre-match video promo hit me, the crowd was super live for it, the emotion of the finish and post-match. I don't know, sometimes the corniest crap gets to me. Case in point, I fucking wept at the awful Adam Sandler movie "Click." It is one of my most embarrassing moments that my wife loves to bring up in front of company for a laugh and, at a recent dinner party, we were joking about it and another guest admitted they cried too - which made me feel better for falling (and falling HARD) for such melodramatic BS. I kinda feel the same way for Bayley/Sasha - it was designed to make fans tear up and they succeeded. Honestly, I'm surprised they didn't have Bayley celebrate with a puppy who survived cancer.

So, anyway, if anyone wants to make me feel better, they can say they cried after Bayley/Sasha too.

EDIT - Just as I posted this, Benbeeach made it okay!

Flair's retirement did for me. After all the tragedies in 07 like the Benoit saga and other deaths I was feeling real low on wrestling. It was a breath of fresh air to have a feel good story during that time period.

Small shout out for Jake Roberts HOF speech. I didn’t cry but it almost got me there.

A couple of times. I distinctly remember being overcome with emotion from the wave of nostalgia that hit me when Hulk Hogan "Hulked Up" against The Rock at Wrestlemania X-8. It immediately transported me back to when I was a kid.

Mark Henry reading that damn poem on the Owen Hart Tribute Show got me too. That was so heartbreaking.

I hate tear-jerkers in general.

Weren't you pretty much in tears the entire time you were reviewing the Russo era of WCW? And I imagine now that you're viewing his run in TNA, your cheeks are pretty tear-stained as well. :P

Nah, that ship has sailed. The name is not Cornette. I just fast-forward a lot through the TNA stuff, the TV show is mostly very uninteresting, with all the terrible WWEism (written promos with awkward delivery, with a thousand overemphased "TONIGHT !") added to Russo's brutal "creative writing" (the whole Abyss & Sting angle is some of the worst rehashed shit). I'm just trying to look for a few cool matches and angles, which I give full credit to Dutch Mantell (Storm feuding vs Harris, LAX vs Team 3D stuff).