Pro Wrestling Only

NWA Great American Bash '85 Events

agentofenton

July 4th, 1985

1st Night of the Great American Bash 1985

RFK Stadium

Washington, DC

• Tag Team Match, One-Fall, 15-Minute Time Limit

• Mil Mascaras & Pedro Morales defeated Bill & Scott Irwin in 9:33 after a flying headbutt from Mascaras onto Scott for the pinfall. Basic tag team match. A fresh opening tag team match to get the crowd started.

• The Woman’s Battle Royale, No-Time Limit

• Madusa won after throwing out Luna Vachon last in 11:10.

• NWA Mid Atlantic Heavyweight Championship Match, One-Fall, 30-Minutes

• “The Duke of Dorchester” Pete Doherty © defeated “Chief” Jay Strongbow in 8:44 after a swinging neckbreaker.

• 10-Man Tag Team Match, One-Fall, 30-Minute Time Limit

• The Hart Brothers {Bruce, Keith & Owen} and Jay & Mark Youngblood defeated Fuji’s Clan {The Great Kokina, Masters of Torture, Mr. Fuji (replacing Mr. Saito & Tiger Chung Lee) after Owen Hart pinned Mr. Fuji after a second-rope dropkick in 8:02.

• Grudge Match, One-Fall, 20-Minute Time Limit

• Jerry Lawler and Abdullah The Butcher went to a double DQ in 7:19.

• NWA United States Tag Team Championship Match, One-Fall, 45-Minutes

• Stan Hanson & Sam Houston (replacing Bruiser Brody) defeated The Foreign Legion © (w/ Paul Jones) via countout after 13:39 when they walked out of the match. The Foreign Legion retained the titles.

• ***NOTE: THIS WAS ORIGINALLY PLANNED AS A TITLE CHANGE, BUT I CAN'T READ MY OWN NOTES AND ACCIDENTALLY PUT IN BRODY, BUT HE IS IN JAPAN FOR THE MONTH OF JULY...THIS WAS MY MISTAKE, AND I APOLOGIZE FOR THE OVERLOOK***

• NWA Television Championship Match, One-Fall, 20-Minute Time Limit

• Tully Blanchard © (w/ JJ Dillon) defeated Ray Stevens after 11:30 with a brass knuckle shot given to Tully from JJ.

• Grudge Tag Team Match, One-Fall, 30-Minute Time Limit

• Bob Orton Jr. & Mystery partner defeated Ole & Arn Anderson in 21:41. Bob Orton Jr. came out to the end of the aisle. He doesn’t say a word. The Anderson’s were in the ring, waiting for him to enter. They don’t think he’s got anyone, but he just waves to the locker room. A band starts to come out of the locker room. They are playing bagpipes and they line the long aisle. Playing as “Rowdy” Roddy Piper walks out from the locker room. The crowd explodes, and the Anderson’s are not happy about this development. Roddy comes down the aisle and hugs Orton. They rush the ring and the brawl begins. Piper pins Ole after a running bulldog takedown.

• Six-Man Tag Team Match, One-Fall, 45-Minute Time Limit

• Magnum TA & The Rock ‘n Roll Express defeated NWA United States Champion Terry Funk & Masked Confusion in 23:38 after the Rock ‘n Roll’s double dropkick onto one of the Masked Confusion.

• NWA World Heavyweight Championship Match, One-Fall, 60-Minute Time Limit

• “Nature Boy” Ric Flair © (w/ JJ Dillon) defeated NWA Canadian International Television Champion Gino Brito with a little help from James J. Dillon and his dress shoe. Flair and Dillon put the boots to Gino until Rick Martel, whom is challenging for the World Title on the 7th, appeared and ran off the champion.

Very fun card. Any of those matches would have been great to see. I think the Abdullah-Lawler No DQ match needs a little more TV time to hype as I see a NO DQ stipulation as part of a feud or someone coming to be the savior.

Can't wait for Flair-Martel!

Piper took this card from good to great all by himself. He was so big in the Mid-Atlantic and his return would be epic.

JJ Dillion was causing havoc at the Bash. Wonder if it will continue or if someone will put him in his place.

Since I was a kid and my very first VHS tape I ever rented was Great American Bash '86, the Great American Bash has been one of my all time favorite events in wrestling and you are doing justice here my friend. I could just visualize the crowd response when Piper made his way out to tag with Orton. I think Tully vs. Ray Stevens would have been my favorite match on this card with the six man tag Funk and Masked Confusion against Magnum and the Rock & Roll Express.

- "Mil, you don't want to job? Fine, beat the Irwins. Pedro, try to make this match worth something, all right?"

- Yay Madusa, you're one of the few with talent at this point

- Dorchester being even quasi-pushed is hilarious

- That ten men would've been interesting, especially since the vast majority of the working was on the babyface side. I'm assuming lots of selling, before it ends with a flurry.

- I'm stunned neither Lawler nor Abby would job. :P

- These screw ups happen, but in a weird way, The Legion keeping the belts kind of works.

- Sorry Ray, here's some nice parting gifts as you head toward retirement.

- Piper & Orton as big time babyfaces in Charlotte as opposed to being to heels in New York is some really awesome alt-history

- The semi-main was kind of the real main event here. Just kind of odd booking to be honest. I realize Brito has been getting some TV time, but still weird to me. Probably was a solid match, but yeah.

Looking forward to the rest of the Bash!

Non Stadium Shows:

July 5, 1985

World Championship Wrestling TV Taping (Airing 7/6/85)

Richmond, VA

Richmond Coliseum

Tony Schiavone & David Crockett welcome the viewers to WTBS and World Championship Wrestling. We have brand new NWA World Tag Team Champions, coming out of Lutte Internationale recently. Later on tonight we will have footage of that title change. The Great American Bash is off and running with the huge show from RFK Stadium! Ric Flair has defended his championship once on the march to ten! Tomorrow night (in TV time) in Montreal, he will defend the championship against Rick Martel! Before we get there, lets get to the ring!

Sam Houston defeated Swede Hansen with the bulldog in 3:15.

COMMERCIAL BREAK 1

When we return from break, we see the match line-up for tomorrow night’s event in Montreal. Tony then discusses a MACW debut, with Alexis Smirnoff.

Alexis Smirnoff defeated Rene Goulet in 7:01.

COMMERCIAL BREAK 2

Tony and David hype more of the Great American Bash Tour. More talk about the World Title defense for Ric Flair. They discuss Magnum TA vs Terry Funk in the first of a possible seven series match in Montreal on Sunday.

Pedro Morales defeated Fred Ottman

COMMERCIAL BREAK 3

Tony is with David once again at the set. They send it to some footage from Lutte Internationale. This is the NWA World Tag Team Championship match where we crown new champions!

NWA World Tag Team Championship: The Creatchman Family (The Botswana Beast & Lord Humongous, w/Eddy "The Brain" Creatchman) beat The Rougeau Brothers when Eddy Creatchman threw powder in Raymond Rougeau's face in 16:28 - TITLE CHANGE

We return to the set and Tony informs us that in Montreal, the Rock ‘n Roll Express will be in town to challenge for the World Tag Team Titles. That should be a fun encounter. The fans are really excited about this match, thinking that the favorite’s are the Rock ‘n Roll’s going into this match.

COMMERCIAL BREAK 4

The Great Samu defeated Dusty Wolfe in pretty easy fashion in 3:34.

More Great American Bash tour talk, now discussing a huge 8-man tag team match. Fuji’s Clan clashes with the former World Tag Team Champions The Rougeau Brothers and NWA Canadian International Tag Team Champions The Midnight Rockers.

COMMERCIAL BREAK 5

The Andersons defeated Jeff Swords & Doug Vines in 6:04.

Tony brings the Andersons into the set, and they discuss ending the career of Bob Orton Jr. & Ray Stevens. They promise to make it a reality on the Great American Bash tour. Tony tries to bring up the mystery partner from last night, but the Andersons walk off before we get a name. (The mystery is still out there for those not in Washington, DC on July 4!)

COMMERCIAL BREAK 6

Abdullah The Butcher pins Dennis Stamp after 2:56 with an elbow drop.

More Great American Bash tour discussion. Updating some more dates and venues through the month of July before going to our last commercial break.

COMMERCIAL BREAK 7

Jay Strongbow & The Youngbloods defeated Gary Royal, JR Hogg & Lenny Kean.

END OF TV TAPING

Luna Vachon won a woman’s battle royal.

Magnum TA, Stan Hansen, Ray Stevens, Bob Orton Jr & Roddy Piper defeated NWA World Heavyweight Champion Ric Flair, NWA Television Champion Tully Blanchard, NWA United States Tag Team Champions Iron Sheik & Nikolai Volkoff and NWA United States Champion Terry Funk (w/ Paul Jones & JJ Dillon) in 41:04 when Piper pinned Volkoff after hitting him with the brass knuckles JJ tried to toss into Blanchard.

July 6, 1985

World Wide Wrestling TV Taping (Airing 7/7/85)

Norfolk, VA

The Scope

Bob Caudle & Johnny Weaver are at ringside. We welcome you to the first week of the Great American Bash Tour! Tonight we are from Norfolk, Virginia!

Mondo Guerrero defeated Dennis Stamp in 5:37 after a head scissors.

COMMERCIAL BREAK 1

Super Strong Machine and Strong Machine #2 defeated JR Hogg & Lenny Kean in 5:58.

Caudle and Weaver talk about how big the Bash tour is. With three major promotions being involved in it through the NWA. Just this week on World Wide, we have a number of talents from the Lutte Internationale promotion on TV this week.

COMMERCIAL BREAK 2 & 3

The Foreign Legion {Iron Sheik, Nikolai Volkoff & Boris Zhukov} (w/ Paul Jones) defeated Steve Strong, George Steele & Cpl. Kirchner after Jones smacked Kirchner with the Russian flag behind the referee’s back in 16:12.

END OF TV TAPING

Crusher Blackwell defeated Abdullah the Butcher via DQ when Abby went nuts with a fork, attacking Blackwell and swinging at a referee.

The Great Kokina won a battle royal.

NWA Television Championship Lumberjack Match

Tully Blanchard © (w/ JJ Dillon) defeated Superstar Graham after the Lumberjacks lost control and the Andersons were able to help out.

NWA United States Championship Match

Terry Funk © and Stan Hansen battled to a double-countout in 15:49.

Six-Man Tag Team Main Event

Magnum TA, Bob Orton Jr. & Roddy Piper (Replacing Ray Stevens) defeated NWA World Heavyweight Champion Ric Flair and Ole & Arn Anderson (w/ JJ Dillon). During the introductions, it was noted that the Andersons found Ray Stevens in parking lot as he was entering the building and attacked him from behind, causing him to not be in the main event. The place went nuts as Orton introduced Roddy Piper as Stevens replacement.

July 7th, 1985

2nd Night of the Great American Bash 1985

Jarry Park

Montreal, QB

• Eight-Man Tag Team Match, One-Fall, 30-Minute Time Limit

• The Rougeau Brothers & NWA Canadian International Tag Team Champions The Midnight Rockers defeated Fuji’s Clan {NWA World Six-Man Tag Team Champions Great Kokina & Masters of Torture} and Mr. Fuji (subbing for Mr. Saito) in 11:20 when The Rougeau’s defeated Mr. Fuji with the La Bombe Rougeau.

• NWA Canadian International Television Championship Match, One-Fall, 20-Minute Time Limit

• Mil Mascaras went to a 20-Minute time-limit draw with Gino Brito ©. Gino retained the title.

• Six-Man Tag Team Match, One-Fall, 30-Minute Time Limit

• The Hart Brothers {Bruce, Keith & Owen Hart} defeated The Guerreros {Mondo, Hector & Chavo Guerrero} in 12:48 when Keith was able to lock in a backslide to pin Hector. All six-men shook hands after the closely battled encounter.

• No-Disqualification Match, One-Fall, No Time Limit

• Jerry “The King” Lawler defeated Abdullah the Butcher after throwing a fireball into Abby’s face. Both men bled heavily in the contest.

• The Foreign Legion {Boris Zhukov, Nikolai Volkoff & Iron Sheik} (w/ Paul Jones) defeated Stan Hansen, Sam Houston & Cpl. Kirchner after interference from Paul Jones and the Russian Flag in 15:26.

• INTERMISSION

• 20-Man Battle Royal

• “Superstar” Billy Graham won the battle royal last eliminating “The Duke of Dorchester” Pete Doherty in 9:00.

• NWA World Tag Team Championship Match, One-Fall, 60-Minute Time Limit

• The Creatchman Family © {The Botswana Beast & Lord Humongous} (w/ Eddy "The Brain" Creatchman) defeated Rock ‘n Roll Express after Eddy interfered once again to help his team retain the titles in 18:44.

• Six-Man Tag Team Special Attraction Match, One-Fall, 30-Minute Time Limit

• Ray Stevens, Bob Orton Jr & Mystery Partner Roddy Piper defeated The Andersons {Ole & Arn Anderson} and NWA Television Champion Tully Blanchard (w/ JJ Dillon) in 19:07 when Piper pinned Blanchard after JJ tossed Brass Knuckles to Tully, but Piper intercepted them and punched out the champion. Piper’s arrival to the NWA hadn’t made it to TV yet, so he was still billed as a mystery partner in this contest. He only made dark segment appearances at TV this week.

• NWA United States Heavyweight Championship Match, One-Fall, 45-Minute Time Limit

• 1st Match in the Best of Seven Series

• Terry Funk © defeated Magnum TA in 21:46 after a low blow cheap shot on the floor and a piledriver to the concrete. He somehow got Magnum into the ring for the pinfall. Magnum did get busted open pretty good in this contest and was injured with the piledriver on the floor.

• Rick Martel defeated Ric Flair © (w/ JJ Dillion) via a countout in39:32. JJ tried to help out by pulling on Martel’s leg as he and Flair tried to get into the ring after battling on the floor. Martel was able to shake off JJ and pull Flair off the apron and slide into the ring before the 10-count. Martel celebrated as if he won the title. The announcer did tell the audience that due to a countout, Ric Flair retains the World Heavyweight Championship. Flair took the belt and walked off pissed off.

Great shows here. Loved reading the Flair-Martel bout. To be honest, I was not sure which way you were going to go here. You guys are so unpredictable and I could see positives to Flair keeping the title but also some positives to Martel winning the title.

I was surprised to see Flair work in an 8 man tag match without the other horsemen. I thought even the dirtiest player in the game would stay away from the Iranians and the Russians in 85 but I am sure he gets paid a lot of money to do what he is told.

LOVE THE AMERICAN BASH and you are doing a great job of hyping it up.

- Shouldn't it be the Great Canadian Bash?

- Kinda off for The Rougeaus to be opening the show in their hometown, but I'm sure they're getting plenty of the gate. Good win though.

- "Mil, no, you can't win the title. You can get a phantom pin on Brito right before the bell. OK?"

- Good six-man action, but The Canadian's had to go over in Canada.

- Blood blood blood! Lawler gets the pin, but I assume this won't be the end of the war.

- Yeah, I assume Hansen did not take the fall in that six man.

- Actually kind of shocked The Creatchman kept the belts for now, and even won, even if it was screwy as all hell.

- It's Piper! That'll help you get some WWF fans in the area to pay attention to NWA TV.

- Of course Funk has to win the 1st match.

- Yup, good way to give the local guy the win without changing the title.

• 2 weeks later...

July 10, 1985

World Championship Wrestling TV Taping (Airing 7/13/85)

Ashville, NC

Civic Center

Tony Schiavone & David Crockett welcome to us to World Championship Wrestling right here in Ashville, NC and on WTBS! This week, more Great American Bash news and some results from last week’s opening series.

Scott & Bill Irwin defeated JR Hogg & Lenny Kean in 4:19.

COMMERCIAL BREAK 1

We return to see Ray Stevens in the ring. Tony tells us after this match, we’ll see what happened last week with the mystery partner against the former 24 Karat members.

Ray Stevens defeated Swede Hansen in 5:52.

Tony talks a new arrival in MACW and the NWA. He sends it to the footage of the reveal from RFK Stadium and Roddy Piper’s entrance. Bob Orton Jr. came out to the end of the aisle. He doesn’t say a word. The Anderson’s were in the ring, waiting for him to enter. They don’t think he’s got anyone, but he just waves to the locker room. A band starts to come out of the locker room. They are playing bagpipes and they line up the long aisle. Playing as “Rowdy” Roddy Piper walks out from the locker room. The crowd explodes, and the Anderson’s are not happy about this development. Roddy comes down the aisle and hugs Orton. They rush the ring and the brawl begins. We cut to commercial as all four men are battling inside the ring.

COMMERCIAL BREAK 2

Cpl. Kirchner defeated Italian Stallion in 6:26.

David talks to Kirchner about his and Steele’s upcoming matches against The Foreign Legion, including a Flag match on the Bash tour. Kirchner is excited about the chance to wave the American Flag on the Great American Bash tour. He and George Steele will defeat the Legion and make the USA proud!

COMMERCIAL BREAK 3

Fuji’s Clan defeated Doug Vines, Jeff Sword & Pete Sanchez in 7:22 after Kokina dropped Sanchez with a second-rope senton splash.

COMMERCIAL BREAK 4

“Dirty” Dick Slater defeated Ray Apollo in 6:18 with a Russian Leg Sweep into a pinfall.

David talks with Slater. He welcomes Slater to MACW. Slater shuts David up and yells into the camera that he doesn’t care about being welcomed into anywhere. He just wants to beat up people, make money and take championships. He’s already beat up one guy, he’ll get paid when he gets to the pay window, and he’ll be looking for championships next.

COMMERCIAL BREAK 5

“Superstar” Billy Graham defeated Fred Ottman in 6:26.

COMMERCIAL BREAK 6

Masked Confusion defeated Rene Goulet & Terry Gibbs in 7:11.

COMMERCIAL BREAK 7

NWA Mid Atlantic Heavyweight Champion Pete Doherty defeated Gary Royal.

END OF TAPING

Magnum TA, Roddy Piper, Bob Orton Jr. & Mad Dog & Butcher Vachon defeated NWA World Champion Ric Flair, NWA Television Champion Tully Blanchard, Ole & Arn Anderson and NWA United States Champion Terry Funk in a Bunkhouse Brawl when Magnum TA pinned Ole Anderson after a Belly to Belly Suplex in 34:24.

July 11th, 1985

3rd Night of the Great American Bash 1985

War Memorial Stadium

Greensboro, NC

• The Hart Brothers {Bruce, Keith & Owen} defeated Ricky Santana, “Hollywood” John Tatum & “Iron” Mike Sharpe (w/ Madusa) in 9:03 with a second-rope dropkick from Owen onto Ricky Santana.

• NWA Mid Atlantic Heavyweight Championship Match, One-Fall, 30-Minute Time Limit

• “The Duke of Dorchester” Pete Doherty © defeated Thunderbolt Patterson in 8:44 after Patterson missed a running bodyblock into the corner and Doherty rolled him up for the pinfall.

• Special Attraction Single’s Match, One-Fall, 20-Minute Time Limit

• Mil Mascaras defeated “Dirty” Dick Slater with a flying headbutt in 10:20.

• Tag Team Match, One-Fall, 20-Minute Time Limit

• Butcher & Mad Dog Vachon (w/ Luna Vachon) defeated Bill & Scott Irwin in 7:04 after a powerslam from Butcher to Scott.

• NWA World Six-Man Tag Team Championship Match, One-Fall, 60-Minute Time Limit

• Jay Strongbow & The Youngbloods defeated Fuji’s Clan © {Great Kokina & Masters of Torture} (w/ Mr. Fuji) in 8:55 via DQ when Fuji threw salt into Strongbow’s eyes.

• Non-Title Tag Team Flag Match, One-Fall, 20-Minute Time Limit

• George Steele & Cpl. Kirchner defeated NWA United States Tag Team Champions The Foreign Legion {Nikolai Volkoff & Iron Sheik} (w/ Paul Jones) in 9:32 when Cpl intercepted a cane from Jones and nailed Sheik for the pin. The American Flag was raised above the ring near the entrance and the National Anthem played for the live crowd.

• INTERMISSION

• Woman’s Match, One-Fall, 20-Minute Time Limit

• Madusa defeated Luna Vachon in 6:49 with a German Suplex.

• Special Attraction Tag Team Match, One-Fall, 30-Minute Time Limit

• Rock ‘n Roll Express defeated Masked Confusion in 17:44 with the double dropkick.

• Grudge Tag Team Match, One-Fall, 20-Minute Time Limit

• Magnum TA & Stan Hansen went to a double DQ with NWA United States Champion Terry Funk & Abdullah The Butcher in 11:00.

• Roddy Piper, Bob Orton Jr. & Ray Stevens defeated NWA Television Champion Tully Blanchard, Ole & Arn Anderson (w/ JJ Dillon) in 19:36 after Piper intercepted JJ shoe and nailed Arn in the head with it.

• Ric Flair © (w/ JJ Dillon) went to a 60-Minute Time Limit draw with Jerry “The King” Lawler. JJ interference very late in the match helped Flair escape a pinfall from a Lawler piledriver. The referee didn’t see the interference, but it was long enough for Flair to kick out of the pin, and hold off Lawler for the draw.

July 12, 1985

World Wide Wrestling TV Taping (Airing 7/14/85)

Raleigh, NC

Dorton Arena

Mini’s 10-Man Tag Team Match

Haiti Kid, Tiger Jackson, Cowboy Lang, Chili Bowl & Butch Cassidy defeated Little Toyko, Lone Eagle, Tiny Tom, Little Coco & Sonny Boy Hayes in 9:12 when Tiger Jackson pinned Tiny Tom after flying dropkick.

COMMERCIAL BREAK 1

“Dirty” Dick Slater defeated Sam Houston in 8:37 with a swinging neck breaker.

COMMERCIAL BREAK 2

The Hart Brothers {Bruce, Keith & Owen Hart} defeated Mike Sharpe & Scott & Bill Irwin in 8:55 after Bruce pinned Scott Irwin with a rolling reverse cradle.

COMMERCIAL BREAK 3

NWA Television Championship Match

Tully Blanchard © went to a double countout with Botswana Beast in 5:21. Tully Blanchard retained the title.

END OF TV TAPING

Masters of Torture (w/ Mr. Fuji) defeated Mad Dog & Butcher Vachon

Stan Hansen went to a double DQ with Abdullah The Butcher.

Luna Vachon, Velvet McIntyre & Wendi Richter defeated Fabulous Moolah, Judy Martin & Madusa

Masked Confusion defeated The Youngbloods

NWA United States Tag Team Championship Match

The Foreign Legion © {Iron Sheik & Nikolai Volkoff} (w/ Paul Jones) defeated Pedro Morales (Replacing George Steele) and Cpl. Kirchner

Magnum TA, Roddy Piper, Bob Orton Jr. & Ray Stevens defeated NWA World Champion Ric Flair, NWA United States Champion Terry Funk and Ole & Arn Anderson (w/ JJ Dillon) in a Bunkhouse Brawl in 21:00 when Roddy Piper knocked out Ole Anderson with a cowboy boot.

July 13, 1985

Fayetteville, NC

Cumberland City Civic Center

The Hart Brothers {Bruce, Keith & Owen} defeated Ricky Santana, “Hollywood” John Tatum & “Iron” Mike Sharpe.

NWA World Six-Man Tag Team Championship Match

Fuji’s Clan © {Great Kokina & Masters of Torture} (w/ Mr. Fuji) defeated Jay Strongbow & The Youngbloods with interference from Mr. Fuji to retain the titles.

Mad Dog & Butcher Vachon defeated Bill & Scott Irwin

“Dirty” Dick Slater defeated Thunderbolt Patterson

Tag Team Flag (Non-Title) Match

George Steele & Cpl. Kirchner defeated NWA United States Tag Team Champions The Foreign Legion {Iron Sheik & Nikolai Volkoff} (w/ Paul Jones). The flag of the USA was raised to the top of the arena and the American National Anthem played for the crowd.

NWA Mid Atlantic Heavyweight Championship Match

“The Duke of Dorchester” Pete Doherty © defeated Sam Houston.

NWA World Tag Team Championship Match

The Creatchman Family © {The Botswana Beast & Lord Humongous} and Bob Backlund & Pedro Morales went to a double countout. The Creatchman Family retained the titles.

Ten-Man Tag Team Main Event Special Attraction Match

Magnum TA, Roddy Piper, Bob Orton Jr., Ray Stevens & “Superstar” Billy Graham defeated NWA World Champion Ric Flair, NWA Television Champion Tully Blanchard and Ole & Arn Anderson and NWA United States Champion Terry Funk (w/ James J Dillon)

July 14th, 1985

4th Night of the Great American Bash 1985

War Memorial Stadium

Greensboro, NC

• Battle Royal, No Time Limit

• George “The Animal” Steele won a 15-man battle royal in 9:44 after last eliminating Mid Atlantic Heavyweight Champion Pete Doherty.

• Mil Mascaras defeated Ricky Santana in 8:29 with a flying headbutt to the chest.

• Jay Strongbow & The Youngbloods defeated Fuji’s Clan © {Great Kokina & Masters of Torture} (w/ Mr. Fuji) in 11:39 to win the championships after a double-tomahawk chop from the Youngbloods to MoT #2.

• Stan “The Lariat” Hansen defeated “Dirty” Dick Slater in 14:42 after Hansen nailed a lariat.

• Rock ‘n Roll Express defeated Masked Confusion in 16:03 after the double dropkick.

• INTERMISSION

• Abdullah The Butcher & NWA United States Tag Team Champions The Foreign Legion {Nikolai Volkoff & Iron Sheik} (w/ Paul Jones) defeated Jerry “The King” Lawler & Mad Dog & Butcher Vachon in 15:49 after Nikolai hit Butcher with a elevated backbreaker. Abby & Lawler had brawled to the locker room moments before the finish of the contest.

• NWA Television Championship Match, One-Fall, Special 30-Minute Time Limit

• Tully Blanchard © (w/ JJ Dillon) defeated “Superstar” Billy Graham in 17:20 after knocking out Graham with a roll of half dollars handed to him from JJ Dillon.

• Tag Team Grudge Match

• Ray Stevens & Bob Orton Jr. defeated Ole & Arn Anderson in 17:48 after Orton pinned Arn with a superplex from the second rope.

• NWA United States Championship Match, One-Fall, 45-Minute Time Limit

• 2nd Match in the Best of Seven Series

• Terry Funk © defeated Magnum TA in 31:07 after a piledriver in the middle of the ring. The story here was Magnum was still injured from the first match, and Funk worked over the neck during the majority of the match.

• “Nature Boy” Ric Flair © (w/ JJ Dillon) went to a double disqualification with “Rowdy” Roddy Piper in 40 minutes after Blanchard, and the Andersons and Ray Stevens, Bob Orton Jr. & Superstar Graham all interfered.

The Bash is off and running!

Nice to see the women and midgets getting some time.

Flair and Funk really seem to be struggling in the tag team action here. Wonder if it will carry over to the singles. TA is off to a good start and Piper could really push Flair.

Nice to see the freelancers getting time also. They are all huge stars and need to be showcased!

• 2 weeks later...

July 17th, 1985

5th Night of the Great American Bash 1985

Municipal Stadium

Myrtle Beach, SC

• Woman’s Match, One-Fall, 10-Minute Time Limit

• Luna Vachon (w/ Mad Dog & Butcher Vachon) defeated Madusa (w/ “Hollywood” John Tatum after a second rope elbow smash in 7:20.

• Tag Team Match, One-Fall, 20-Minute Time Limit

• Masked Confusion defeated Mad Dog & Butcher Vachon in 9:03 after John Tatum returned to ringside and tripped Butcher from the outside to cause him to get hit by a double flying elbow attack from both Masked Confusion.

• Single’s Match, One-Fall, 20-Minute Time Limit

• “Dirty” Dick Slater defeated Pedro Morales in 10:38 after a bulldog headlock into the turnbuckles (think Bushwackers Battering Ram into the second turnbuckle).

• NWA Mid Atlantic Heavyweight Championship Match, One-Fall, 30-Minute Time Limit

• “The Duke of Dorchester” Pete Doherty © defeated Sam Houston in 14:03 after catching Houston in the corner with a double leg takedown, cradling him and putting Pete’s feet on the ropes for the illegal pinfall.

• Rock n’ Roll Express went to a time limit draw with Jerry “The King” Lawler and Mil Mascaras.

• INTERMISSION

• Jay Strongbow & The Youngbloods © defeated Fuji’s Clan {Great Kokina & Masters of Torture} in 14:47 after Strongbow pinned Master of Torture #2 with a Samoan Drop. Mr. Fuji was banned from ringside during the contest.

• Special Attraction Flag Match, One-Fall, 20-Minute Time Limit

• Cpl. Kirchner (w. George Steele) defeated NWA United States Tag Team Champion Iron Sheik (w/ Paul Jones) in 9:32 after a leaping clothesline off the second rope. Moments before the pinfall, George Steele stopped Paul Jones from interfering.

• After the match, they raised the American Flag in the stadium and played the American National Anthem.

• Special Attraction Grudge Match

• Stan “The Lariat” Hansen defeated Abdullah the Butcher (w/ Mr. Fuji) in 12:00 after a lot of brawling around the ringside area. Both men got bloody in this contest, but Fuji mistakenly tripped Abby and Hansen nailed the Lariat for the win.

• 3rd Match in the Best of Seven Series

• Magnum TA defeated Terry Funk in 34:55 with a piledriver. This match was Magnum getting revenge on Funk for the neck injury to start the series. Magnum was able to catch Funk with an injury early, and used it to work over Funk and his neck, finally ending it with a piledriver to make the series 2 to 1 with Funk still leading it.

• “Nature Boy” Ric Flair © (w/ JJ Dillon) and NWA United States Tag Team Champion Nikolai Volkoff (w/ Paul Jones) went to a double DQ around the 28 minute mark when both of the managers got involved causing the double DQ.

• Non-Sanctioned Special Attraction Steel Cage Six-Man Tag Team Match, No Time Limit

• “Rowdy” Roddy Piper, “Ace” Bob Orton Jr & “Crippler” Ray Stevens (w/ Superstar Graham) defeated Ole & Arn Anderson & NWA Television Champion Tully Blanchard (w/ JJ Dillon) after Graham intercepted a roll of half-dollars from JJ Dillon and gave them to Piper who knocked out Tully Blanchard for the pinfall at 31:31.

July 18, 1985

World Championship Wrestling TV Taping (Airing 7/20/85)

Greenville, SC

Memorial Auditorium

Tony Schiavone & David Crockett welcome us to WTBS and World Championship Wrestling. We are deep into the ‘85 Great American Bash tour! Tomorrow night we have #4 in the best of seven series between Magnum TA and NWA United States Champion Terry Funk for that championship. We will talk more about the other matches signed for Charleston, South Carolina, but right now we head to the ring for match number one this week.

The Andersons defeated Pete Sanchez and Terry Gibbs.

Ole & Arn Anderson approach the set with David Crockett and they discuss tomorrow night’s tag team grudge match against Roddy Piper and Bob Orton Jr. They told Orton they would end his career, and they look to check that off the list tomorrow. If that means ending Roddy Piper’s career as well, so be it.

COMMERCIAL BREAK 1

We return to see Jay Strongbow in the ring for his match.

NWA World Six-Man Tag Team Champion Jay Strongbow defeated Tiger Chung Lee.

Mr. Fuji had come to the set and did some commentary during the contest. Right before he arrived they discussed that Strongbow and The Youngbloods defeated Fuji’s Clan for the Six-Man Tag Team titles on the Great American Bash tour. Some speculation came from Tony and David that Mr. Fuji may have hired former ally Tiger Chung Lee to do his bidding this week on WCW to soften Strongbow up for future rematches with Fuji’s Clan for the Six-Man Tag Team Championships. Fuji just laughs and says his men will get what belongs to them back.

COMMERCIAL BREAK 2

The Vachon’s defeated JR Hogg & Lenny Kean.

During this contest, they hyped up the Bunkhouse Brawl tomorrow night. Also more discussion about Magnum TA vs Terry Funk in the Best of Series, indicating that the series was 2-1 in Terry Funk’s favor.

COMMERCIAL BREAK 3

“Iron” Mike Sharpe defeated Dusty Wolfe.

More talk during this match about tomorrow’s Bash show in Charleston at the Citadel Stadium. They also discuss a big arena show later tonight in Columbia with 10 big matches on the card.

COMMERCIAL BREAK 4

NWA United States Tag Team Champion Nikolai Volkoff (w/ Paul Jones) defeated Rene Goulet

Tony and David discuss Nikolai’s chance at the World Championship earlier in the week at Myrtle Beach, and how the match ended in a double DQ because of the manager’s interference. This has brought the NWA Board of Directors together about a stipulation in the match with Ric Flair vs Iron Sheik next week. They will have that announcement later in the show.

COMMERCIAL BREAK 5

Sam Houston defeated Doug Vines

The announcers discuss more Great American Bash dates for later in the month. They discuss the shows in Jacksonville, Atlanta, Baltimore, Philadelphia and Toronto.

COMMERCIAL BREAK 6

Roddy Piper vs Dennis Stamp never takes place. As soon as Piper made it to the ring, the Anderson’s arrive and start a beat down on Piper. Bob Orton rushes the ring to make the save, but Tully Blanchard and Ric Flair rush out and all four men beat down Piper and Orton. Flair gets to the set with David Crockett and tell them that’s how you deal with a problem. The Andersons, his cousins, they will finish that problem tomorrow night. He will continue to take on all challengers during the Great American Bash Tour. Whooo!!! Crockett asks about the countout loss to Rick Martel, and Flair responded with “Who?” and walked off the set.

COMMERCIAL BREAK 7

NWA United States Tag Team Champion Iron Sheik (w/ Paul Jones) defeated Ray Apollo.

It is announced during the match that when Sheik challenges Ric Flair, BOTH managers will be barred from ringside. That takes place in the NWA’s debut in Jacksonville next week.

END OF TV TAPING

The Hart Brothers defeated Masters of Torture & Great Kokina (w/ Mr. Fuji)

Magnum TA & Superstar Graham defeated NWA World Heavyweight Champion Ric Flair & NWA Television Champion Tully Blanchard (w/ JJ Dillon)

July 19, 1985

World Wide Wrestling TV Taping (Airing 7/21/85)

Rockhill, SC

WInthorp Auditorium

Bob Caudle and Johnny Weaver welcome the syndicated audience to this week’s show. They discuss the highly successful Great American Bash tour. They run a graphic on the screen for upcoming shows based on the local area this is shown.

NWA Six-Man Tag Team Champion Youngbloods (w/ Jay Strongbow) defeated BIll & Scott Irwin in 9:43 after a double knee lift.

COMMERCIAL BREAK 1

Madusa (w/ John Tatum) defeated Luna Vachon (w/ Mad Dog & Butcher Vachon)

COMMERCIAL BREAK 2

Superstar Graham defeated Ricky Santana.

Caudle and Weaver discuss Graham’s lack of championship success. They wonder if the Bash tour is helping or hurting him in terms of building a resume for a championship run.

COMMERCIAL BREAK 3

NWA Television Championship Match

Tully Blanchard © (w/ JJ Dillon) defeated Steve Regal in 9:07 after a slingshot suplex.

Bob Caudle explains that Steve Regal earned this shot as he is from Lutte Internationale, and recently had a string of impressive wins to earn this TV title shot. Unfortunately, Blanchard is too much for him on this night and is put away with Blanchard’s favorite move the Slingshot Suplex.

END OF TV TAPING

Eight-Man Tag Team Match

Magnum TA & The Hart Brothers defeated NWA United States Champion Terry Funk & Fuji’s Clan (w/ Mr. Fuji)

Gilles "The Fish" Poisson defeated Thunderbolt Patterson

Eight-Man Tag Team Match

NWA United States Tag Team Champions The Foreign Legion & Masked Confusion (w/ Paul Jones) defeated Cpl. Kirchner, George Steele, Mad Dog & Butcher Vachon.

Six-Man Bunkhouse Brawl Main Event

Roddy Piper, Bob Orton Jr. & Ray Stevens defeated NWA World Champion Ric Flair, Ole & Arn Anderson.

June 20, 1985

Columbia, SC

Township Auditorium

George Steele defeated Mike Sharpe in seven minutes.

Dick Slater defeated Dean Malenko in 5 minutes.

John Tatum (w/ Madusa) defeated Cpl. Kirchner in eight minutes.

Ricky Santana defeated Thunderbolt Patterson in 7 minutes.

NWA Mid-Atlantic Heavyweight Championship Match

Superstar Graham defeated Pete Doherty by countout. Doherty retained the title.

Fuji’s Clan (w/ Mr. Fuji) defeated Butcher & Mad Dog Vachon and Pedro Morales in 12 minutes.

Roddy Piper & Bob Orton Jr defeated NWA United States Tag Team Champions Foreign Legion (w/ Paul Jones) in a non-title match in about 20 minutes.

NWA Television Champion Tully Blanchard with Ole & Arn Anderson (w/ JJ Dillon) defeated The Hart Brothers (Bruce, Keith & Owen) in about 16 minutes.

Magnum TA, Sam Houston and Ray Stevens defeated NWA United States Champion Terry Funk and Masked Confusion via DQ when one of the Masked men were DQ’d when the referee found a foreign object in the mask after a headbutt that knocked out Sam Houston.

NWA World Championship Match

Ric Flair © (w/ JJ Dillon) defeated Baron Von Raske in 25 minutes with a small help from JJ Dillon.

July 21st, 1985

6th Night of the Great American Bash 1985

Citadel Stadium

Charleston, SC

• Bunkhouse Battle Royal, Come As You Are...Over The Top Rope Eliminations

• “Superstar” Billy Graham won last eliminating The Great Kokina in 12:09.

• Single’s Match, One-Fall, 20-Minute Time Limit

• “Dirty” Dick Slater defeated Sam Houston in 9:48 with a Russian Leg Sweep into a pinning combination.

• Special Attraction Six-Man Tag Team Match, One-Fall, 30-Minute Time Limit

• The Guerrero’s {Hector, Mondo, & Chavo} defeated The Hart Brothers {Bruce, Keith & Owen} in 15:05 after Chavo caught Owen in a headscissors into a double leg cradle. Both teams once against shook hands after the contest.

• Mil Mascaras defeated “The Duke of Dorchester” Pete Doherty © via countout when Pete grabbed his title and walked out of the match after about 11 minutes. Doherty retained the championship.

• Masked Confusion defeated The Rougeau Brothers when they switched partners inside the ring when the referee wasn’t looking, cradling Jacques to get the pin in 16:45.

• INTERMISSION

• NWA Television Championship Match, One-Fall, 30 Minute Time Limit

• Tully Blanchard © (w/ JJ Dillon) defeated Ray “The Crippler” Stevens with help from JJ and a pair of brass knuckles in 16:07.

• Special Attraction Six-Man Tag Team Match, One-Fall, 30-Minute Time Limit

• Jerry “The King” Lawler & Rock ‘n Roll Express defeated NWA United States Tag Team Champions The Foreign Legion {Iron Sheik & Nikolai Volkoff} and Abdullah the Butcher (w/ Paul Jones) in 21:26 after Lawler threw a fireball into Abby’s face as the two tag teams were brawling on the floor keeping the referee’s attention. This was in retaliation of Abby trying to throw a fireball at Lawler earlier in the contest.

• Tag Team Grudge Match, One-Fall, 30-Minute Time Limit

• “Rowdy” Roddy Piper & “Ace” Bob Orton Jr. went to a double DQ with Ole & Arn Anderson in 13:00 after both teams were brawling with weapons on the floor.

• 4th Match in the Best of Seven Series

• Magnum TA defeated Terry Funk in 29:59 with the Belly-to-Belly Suplex. This was just a brawl from beginning to the end. Both went back and forth with the advantage. Magnum just caught Funk with the Suplex to get the flash pin. The series is now tied 2-2.

• “Nature Boy” Ric Flair © (w/ JJ Dillon) went to a time limit draw with Stan “The Lariat” Hansen.