WWE Goodness Gracious! Great Balls of Fire

• Please log in to reply
132 replies to this topic

#121 CapitalTTruth

CapitalTTruth
  • Members
  • 782 posts

Posted 10 July 2017 - 06:09 AM

Brock/Joe was fun for what it was. I am somewhat overly critical of I think. There were little nitpicky things that bothered me, but aren't worth harping on. I am not disappointment really, but I am somewhat guarded. If that is the last time they wrestle it seems like they partially wasted the best build they have executed in a long while. If there is still meat on the bone for this feud down the road (seems quite possible), I am pretty good with all this. I am getting a little tired of Brock's offense being reduced to suplexes though. They need to return him to form, let him have some longer matches.

The build was for something more than a Brock match. They didn't deliver.

They at least built to a brock match circa '12-'15. I keep assuming we will eventually get that again, but maybe that just isn't the case.

#122 gordi

gordi
  • Members
  • 1265 posts

Posted 10 July 2017 - 06:47 AM

I genuinely enjoyed Roman and Strowman, as foemen, roamin' in the gloaming.

But...

The announcers with their "serious voices" and in particular Dingleberry all stuttering and finding it hard to get his words out in the aftermath of that ridiculous angle.

Yikes.

That was BRUTAL.

#123 DMJ

DMJ
  • Members
  • 677 posts

Posted 10 July 2017 - 12:20 PM

Overall, I found the show quite watchable. Full review on my blog. A few notes for conversation's sake:

- Disagree with the comment that Miz's entourage is unnecessary. Found their involvement (and Maryse's) to be the only remarkable thing about the Miz/Ambrose match and an element that helped it stand out. Plus, as others have pointed out, Miz's batting average is really high at getting himself and his partnerships over (see his work with Morrison, Big Show, Sandow, Riley, R-Truth, etc.) and even if it doesn't do anything for Bo or Axel in the long run, its not like we're talking about two undeniable blue chippers getting held back. It's Bo and Axel. 

- Wasn't as big into the Ironman match as others but am willing to chalk it up to this sort of stipulation match just not being "my thing." It wasn't a bad match (I rated it above average), but it won't make my short list of MOTY contenders.

- What might've made that list (at least until the finish) was Bliss/Banks. From beginning to end, I was hooked in this match and found that it may have been Banks' most seamless match in awhile. It helps when the internet is buzzing about "shoot" heat and then you see a match where both performers are not only laying their shit in, but looked like they were actively competing to be "the star" (this was Banks as The Boss in a way she never got to be against Charlotte while Bliss looks and work like she legitimately savors the championship and how it places her above her jealous opponents). Others may have seen the dislocated elbow bit before, but it was new to me, so, yeah, I loved it (and didn't find that it happened "too early" in the match at all as it actually would've been even dumber to have that as your finish knowing that it had been used before). Tack on a better ending to this match that sees Bliss cheat to win and keep the awesome post-match spot and I'm probably at 4-stars for it.

- If there was a moment in the Braun/Roman match that screamed "babyface" to me it was Braun shrugging off chair shots. Just awesome. The post-match angle and commentary definitely put some heat on Roman, but I don't think the WWE is halting production on Reigns gear any time soon. I think they've come around to the idea that Roman is not going to be "the next Cena," but maybe they see him as the next Lesnar or (and I'm puking in my mouth as a type this) Triple H in that Roman will get whatever reaction he gets depending on who he's facing and will maintain his main event position/credibility because he'll be the "cornerstone" of the company the way Triple H was from say 2001-2005 (as mostly heel, but also face at times). With Cena, his challengers were almost always heels throughout his run, but Reigns is currently a different case as he's gone up against increasingly popular new guys like Strowman, "smart" fan favorites like Joe and AJ, and "casual" fan favorites like Lesnar and Taker.

With Reigns, I think the strategy makes some sense - the more intriguing question to me is how it will work with Strowman. Braun gets cheered when he's tossing Roman around or when he's going face-to-face to Lesnar. I think he'd get cheered for beating on Wyatt. But against Balor? Against Ambrose? There's some interesting dynamics to consider if they ever do decide to "lighten" Braun's monster side and have him actually become a full-fledged "good guy."

#124 Loss

Loss
  • Admins
  • 43472 posts

Posted 10 July 2017 - 12:33 PM

As Dave mentioned on WOR, WWE seems to want their top guys to be both babyfaces and heels now so they aren't limited in the matches they can run on top. See Brock, Reigns, and now Strowman. Joe may be going in that direction too.

#125 NintendoLogic

NintendoLogic

Grim and frostbitten

• Members
  • 2730 posts

Posted 10 July 2017 - 12:55 PM

And Asuka in NXT.

#126 TravJ1979

TravJ1979
  • Members
  • 1309 posts

Posted 10 July 2017 - 03:53 PM

So which elbow/shoulder did Braun hurt originally? The video packages show his left arm in a sling, but during the match at GBOF, they worked the right arm. And after he is rescued from ambulance, he magically had a white bandage on right elbow. Was the ambulance sequence pre-taped?

#127 Al

Al

Because a wrestling avatar seemed appropriate

• Members
  • 2932 posts

Posted 10 July 2017 - 04:07 PM

To pre-tape they would have needed two different ambulances

#128 WingedEagle

WingedEagle
  • Members
  • 5112 posts

Posted 10 July 2017 - 04:07 PM

Haven't heard either way but my instinct while watching is that the post-match angle was pretaped.

#129 TravJ1979

TravJ1979
  • Members
  • 1309 posts

Posted 10 July 2017 - 05:09 PM

I feel like the actual backing up and crashing was pre-taped, but everything after Angle came out was live.

#130 fakeplastictrees

fakeplastictrees
  • Members
  • 726 posts

Posted 10 July 2017 - 07:39 PM

So Reigns (the face) goes for a spear,misses, lands in the ambulance, and loses the match. He gets out of the ambulance, blindsides Braun, tosses Braun in, drives away, and then backs the ambulance in a tractor trailer. Reigns, like a coward, then walks away while people try to get Braun out of the ambulance. The GM, who is a face, can't believe the actions of Roman. The crowd is concerned for Braun and start chanting his name. The two wrestlers who have to go on to 'fill time' also look like their minds are with Braun's condition. The announcers' concerns are put to ease as soon as Braun emerges from the ambulance (to the delight of the fans) and refuses medical attention as he stumbles off.

Exhibit 342230203293 of why Roman Reigns is not over as a face.

#131 WingedEagle

WingedEagle
  • Members
  • 5112 posts

Posted 11 July 2017 - 06:47 AM

Exhibit 342230203293 of why Roman Reigns is not over as a face.

But would make a tremendous heel.  And potentially, eventually, a tremendous face.  Or not.  But its a different mindset now.  A proper heel run used to set up the big babyface turn but I guess that's no longer in the cards.  At least he's an excellent worker.

#132 TravJ1979

TravJ1979
  • Members
  • 1309 posts

Posted 11 July 2017 - 09:42 AM

Asked Jordynne Grace on Twitter ... all live.

#133 Al

Al

Because a wrestling avatar seemed appropriate

• Members
  • 2932 posts

Posted 11 July 2017 - 10:46 AM

But I'll go out on a limb and say Braun wasn't in the ambulance when it crashed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users