Pro Wrestling Only

[2017-07-09-WWE-Great Balls of Fire] Roman Reigns vs Braun Strowman

SmartMark15

YES.

Just yes? I'm sorry, that's all there is. Rough, stiff violence from both guys. They constantly upped the intensity and made believable transitions that got you to buy into Roman potentially winning. You had the classic ringpost transition which works particularly well after the Tag Title match early in the night. Roman Reigns sells his ass off (again) but really, did we expect anything else? Then you had monster among men Braun Strowman putting in a fairly decent sell job on his arm...before turning it around into one of the greatest heel comebacks possible. The violence on the stage area was stiff, going through the screen was a wonderful visual.

Then, that glorious post-match angle. i don't care if it's a double turn or what it is. It's fucking awesome. Best ambulance match ever?

Easy MOTYC and another amazing chapter in what's turning out to be a classic feud.

****1/2

Not that they both didn't deliver, but Roman really had a great performance in this match. You're probably right, I can't think of a better ambulance match off the top of my head... These two guys worked their ass off, and this came across as a FIGHT. Loved it.

This was a fun spectacle that was best when one man was being incredibly aggressive and the other was forced to sell (or in one instance not sell). Loved Braun throwing Roman around like a rag doll and just overpowering him early. His WSM background and athleticism really shines here as he runs and moves with force that isn't common for most at his size. AJ may be the best bumper on the roster, if not the business, but Roman may have him beat on selling. Once Roman took over I thought the work on the with the post & chair was terrific. Then came repeated yellow flags for delay of game. The movement up the ramp and delays around the stage leading to the big spots, which were impressive in their own right, held this back from being anything terrific.

***1/2

I don't think I liked it better than their first two matches, but I completely agree that this is an amazing series - to this year what Sasha/Charlotte was to last year but spaced out much, much better. These dudes tossing each other around makes so more sense and is so much more interesting to me than most big match WWE (and NJ) finisher counter spam stuff. Though, having said that, the final spear counter was hilarious and I am thankful to have it in the world in gif form. ****

Incredible match. Reigns was basically playing Fujiwara the entire time, in that he tried to trick Braun by using posts, turnbuckles, ropes, the ambulance, whatever be around him he'd use in his version of the "wait in the corner and then counter once oppoent attacks". His offence ruled-his punches may be the best in the world right now, even the Superman Punches here looked incredibly sharp, everything he did was on point. But that only went so far, as Braun would just demolish him whenever he'd get his hands around him. We were reminded of this repeteadly every time Braun would throw Roman in som insane manner (and Roman deserves props for taking the insane bumps and commiting to it), but the Samoan Drop in which Roman struggled to lift Braun and the was immediately shoved off and the chair no-sell were probably the peak of it from an artistic standpoint. A match like this could easily verge into stuppid gimickry, but they just stuck to sheer brutality and it worked wonderfully. The shrieks of women once Roman and Braun were brawling near the ambulance were bone chilling. The finish was wonderful in its simplicity, and the post-match refreshing in that a WWE face didn't sit there kneeled making sad faces because he lost a match but actually went after a nemesis and showed some edge, especially in the context of a loss on a technicality in a long-term feud. ****1/4

• GSR changed the title to [2017-07-09-WWE-Great Balls of Fire] Roman Reigns vs Braun Strowman