Pro Wrestling Only

Kevin Thorn: What Could Have Been

I always wondered what happened to him. It seemed like he was at worst looking like what Bray Wyatt is today (gimmick guy who can be plugged into the main event scene if needed) and then he seemingly fell off the face of the Earth. I figured he didn't shake the right hand or some other WWE code violation.

Are there even any good Kevin Thorn matches worth seeking out?

I mean, I know he was a part of that SUPER fun ten-man tag on ECW (right after Mania 23) with the New Breed against the ECW Originals. I still watch that match about once a year, and it always holds up for me. Just a tremendous train wreck of spots, with a hot crowd and invested announcing. It's no clinic, and it's not everyone's jam. But it's incredibly pro wrestling to a T.

Other than that though, I don't think he's ever been a part of anything worth revisiting. Maybe I'm wrong?

Found my original write-up for that ECW match from the "What Are You Watching?" thread way back in the summer of 2014.

Just watched the Extreme Rules 8-Man Tornado Tag Match that pit the New Breed versus the ECW Originals is a crazy kind of fun. It's nonstop weapon shots & daring dives from bell to bell.

Dreamer busts out a couple of neat spots, including the slick simultaneous DDT/Neck Breaker combo. He also bursts Matt Striker's "kidneys like water balloons" with a crunching Spine Buster onto a trash can.

Some cool stuff with Kevin Thorne, Sabu, and RVD as well. The big goth lug kisses the seat of a steel chair that Sabu HURLS through the air, which is nifty. Plus it gives Joey Styles the chance to cry out, "Pucker up, vampire." So there's that.

Monty Brown (yes) shines a bit brighter than the rest for me though. We get good stuff GALORE from the guy here. Alpha Bomb snapped off out of a Cross Body position. Spinning high angle Back Suplex onto an unfolded chair in the center of the ring. And, of course, the POOOOOUUUUUNNNCCCE-uhhh. Period.

Finish is fun, too. Elijah Burke just MOWS DOWN poor Sabu from behind with a murderous set of Shotgun Knees between the shoulder blades, and Sheiky Nephew takes a face-first plunge through a table in the corner.

Particularly enjoyable as an unheralded gem that doesn't get much love. Just a series of spots strung together really, but it's absolute fun in under ten minutes if you're in the mood for that sort of stuff.

Just scoped it out again last week, too. Still holds up (for me) as a super fun way to spend ten minutes.