Pro Wrestling Only

[2000-06-24-ACW] Adam Pearce vs Dino Bambino (Cage)

soup23

This was billed as the ACW MOTY. The cage match was going along pretty good as the stip was used well and Pearce had good heat and was bruising Dino up once he got cut. I also appreciated the submissions. Then the run in start from people I don’t recognize and the match totally loses me. I am still waiting for that one good Pearce match as he has good basics but the overbooking here killed that chance. **3/4

• 3 months later...

Until the stupid run ins, this was shaping up to be one of the better indies matches of the year. Both guys were bumping big into the cage and Pearce was doing a good job as the mega heel riling up the crowd, The run in just kills it dead. Such a shame. Did like Dino's leg drop from that top of the cage. That had to hurt his tailbone.

• GSR changed the title to [2000-06-24-ACW] Adam Pearce vs Dino Bambino (Cage)
  • 4 months later...

The graphic informs us that this is ACW’s ‘Match of the Year’, so those are some lofty expectations going in.  Apparently the WWF, WCW and ECW have all been looking at ‘Scrap Iron’ which is news to me as I don’t ever recall him getting a try-out for any of those companies around this time.  The commentator talks about how there is a hatred between these two, although clearly not much as Bambino accepts Pearce’s offer of a handshake after the opening stanza.  Of course he double crossed him but you knew that!  Headscissors takedown by Bambino, followed by a big boot to the face.  He charges at ‘Scrap Iron’ but Pearce hot shots him into the cage.  This is one rickety, unstable looking cage by the way.  Pearce launches him into the cage a couple more times before connecting with a diving headbutt.  Bambino ducks the clothesline and lands a flying crossbody as this match goes back and forth.  Low blow by Pearce who then calls for a chair from ringside.  Whomever it is who throws it in for him throws it too hard, overshooting, as it ends up in Bambino’s hands.  Dino waffles him over the head with it busting Pearce wide open.  Rolling senton splash in the corner off the chair.  Bambino looks to escape over the top, but Pearce snatches and powerbombs him to the mat.  Lionsault for a two.  Pearce slingshots Dino into the cage and then grinds his forehead across it.  He’s about to escape himself however, with Bambino prone on the canvas, decides against it and drops a leg from the top instead.  Dino reverses the figure four and the official breaks the hold when Pearce grabs the ropes.  We’ve already been told this is ‘no disqualification’ so surely that shouldn’t have been an automatic break like in a regular match?  Pearce telegraphs the backdrop and Bambino with a DDT.  As he goes to crawl out the cage door Pearce’s manager, Angelo Stefano, slamS it into his face.  The Dallas Sportatorium in ’82 this ain’t though!  Great looking piledriver by Pearce.  Rather than walk out the cage door he again goes to climb out over it, but takes far too long and is met up there by Bambino. The two fight whilst stood on the top rope until a Bambino right causes Pearce to lose his balance and crotch himself.  Jeez, that cage is one wobbly contraption.  Lovely moonsault from Bambino.  Pearce trips over Dino as he drops down and collides into the referee wiping him out.  That was a very unconvincing looking bump.  Sam Hain runs out and into the cage to help Pearce, the two stuff piledriving Bambino.  That’s only the start of the run ins, the cage filling with a bunch of folk I don’t recognise bar ‘Kamikaze’ Ken Anderson.  Pearce actually leaves the cage during this brawl or ‘gang warfare’ as the commentators call it, so in theory has won the match but no-one bar me has seemed to notice.  Stefano ends up in the cage and after a ‘Rock Bottom’ by one of those who ran in, Bambino comes off the top of the cage with a leg drop onto him.

A pretty decent cage match until the shitty ref bump and then all the run ins.  Maybe it was a way of interweaving various feuds by having everyone at the end, but it just looked like a giant cluster to me.  It also grates on me watching a thirty minute match and not even knowing what the outcome was.  Logic would suggest Pearce won, but I doubt there is any logic going on here.