Photo

Brock Lesnar to return to UFC in November?

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#21 FMKK

FMKK
  • Members
  • 465 posts

Posted 22 July 2017 - 03:45 AM

WWE has always a phobia of top guys leaving, and in their minds they are probably afraid he'll end up going to New Japan and becoming a huge business changing star there.

New Japan isn't shelling out $5 million plus travel expenses for five Brock Lesnar matches a year.

#22 El-P

El-P
  • Members
  • 8859 posts

Posted 22 July 2017 - 05:08 AM

Crappy matches to boot. Lesnar can go for all I care. Maybe the top of the card won't be so much focused on "dream" matches and a champ that's never on TV.

#23 Loss

Loss
  • Admins
  • 43472 posts

Posted 22 July 2017 - 05:52 AM

Not to take this too off topic, but just thinking about the closest historical comparison that comes to mind. When Hogan was champion in 1997 and went six months between title defenses (February and August), he was the key ingredient in a turnaround, the biggest difference maker they had, and turned them from a money pit into a $250m company. He was making about $6-8m per year at that point, and he was doing a lot more work and the company was seeing a lot more benefit. It's the closest comparison I can even think of. (In fact, I would argue that when WCW decided Hogan needed to be around more often and on TV every week in multiple segments is when his value slowly started to plummet. Hogan supposedly told his friends at the time that he knew that was the problem, but when he got paid so much per appearance, how could he say no?)

#24 El-P

El-P
  • Members
  • 8859 posts

Posted 22 July 2017 - 06:15 AM

Hogan *as part of the nWo*. And the nWo was all over the TV. The angle was the hottest ever. In a company that was hot and fresh top to bottom (mostly).

Brock showing up every three months for a 10 minutes suplex wankery with Heyman showing up from time to time with no issue to talk about (remember the endless "My client retired the Undertaker" boring shit after that Mania ?) in a cold product isn't exactly comparable. ;)

#25 CapitalTTruth

CapitalTTruth
  • Members
  • 782 posts

Posted 22 July 2017 - 07:18 AM

I wont be surprised if this has run its course. It feels like it is losing a lot of steam. Even with Joe/Brock being the best build they have done in a while and a pretty good match, Brock just isn't bringing what he used to (in terms of hype or match quality). Reigns winning the big rematch at Summer Slam and then building to a match with Cena at Mania while Brock builds to a Mania career blow off with Joe or Strowman or Balor makes the most sense to me.  I would just hope that he has enough give-a-shit left to make his final match(es) good.

I think it sucks. I am a fan of Brock and I am perhaps holding out hope for something that is no longer possible, but I just think it feels like a wasted opportunity. Just a few years ago Brock was producing high end matches that really stood out and felt special. He has proven he is capable of great matches. They have proven they can build compelling TV around him.

#26 cowboy hats

cowboy hats
  • Members
  • 399 posts

Posted 22 July 2017 - 11:51 AM

Brock showing up every three months for a 10 minutes suplex wankery with Heyman showing up from time to time with no issue to talk about (remember the endless "My client retired the Undertaker" boring shit after that Mania ?) in a cold product isn't exactly comparable. ;)

That promo was dope

#27 FMKK

FMKK
  • Members
  • 465 posts

Posted 22 July 2017 - 11:54 AM

What's the issue with the Brock matches? Have they just regressed into the suplex city thing and purposely turned him into a gimmick worker or is there some sort of physical issue that's inhibiting him from doing more? Perhaps it's just him trying to get by with the least possible effort, which is a shame because he's a really top level worker when he's engaged. In fairness, I would argue that the Wrestlemania match with Goldberg is a legit great match.

#28 The Thread Killer

The Thread Killer

The Canadian Wildman

• Members
  • 1054 posts

Posted 22 July 2017 - 05:09 PM

That promo was dope

Which one?  Heyman has cut about 493 "My client retired the Undertaker" promos, all of which are pretty much the same.  I think Lesnar has rubbed off on Heyman (eww that sounded wrong).  What I mean to say is that I think Paul Heyman has adopted Brock's attitude towards putting in an effort. Like: "Why work hard when I can get the crowd to chant along with me just by saying my name and Lesnar's name? Who needs to cut an original sounding promo?"  Listening to Heyman now, it's hard to believe he's the same guy who cut some of those blistering promos during the Invasion angle.

Perhaps it's just him trying to get by with the least possible effort, which is a shame because he's a really top level worker when he's engaged

Were I going to bet on the reason, this would be where I put my money.

#29 sek69

sek69

Winnipeg Arena's gonna be on fire

• Members
  • 10424 posts

Posted 22 July 2017 - 05:17 PM

Paul's promo on Joe about he's the one Samoan the Anoa'i family doesn't claim was pretty great. There's been more than a couple occasions where it seemed like he was the only one trying to sell the fans on whatever PPV was coming up. 

#30 The Thread Killer

The Thread Killer

The Canadian Wildman

• Members
  • 1054 posts

Posted 22 July 2017 - 05:22 PM

Point well taken.  You're right, Heyman's performance during the buildup to Brock vs. Joe was pretty damn good.  I just hate the promos where it seems like he does nothing else but announce his name, and then screeches out Lesnar's name.  It seems like pandering to me, like he just wants to get the crowd to go along with him.

#31 cowboy hats

cowboy hats
  • Members
  • 399 posts

Posted 22 July 2017 - 10:08 PM

That promo was dope

Which one?  Heyman has cut about 493 "My client retired the Undertaker" promos, all of which are pretty much the same.  I think Lesnar has rubbed off on Heyman (eww that sounded wrong).  What I mean to say is that I think Paul Heyman has adopted Brock's attitude towards putting in an effort. Like: "Why work hard when I can get the crowd to chant along with me just by saying my name and Lesnar's name? Who needs to cut an original sounding promo?"  Listening to Heyman now, it's hard to believe he's the same guy who cut some of those blistering promos during the Invasion angle.
Night after WM 30, baby

#32 iamthedoctor

iamthedoctor
  • Members
  • 795 posts

Posted 24 July 2017 - 03:20 AM

Who in UFC would he fight?

I'd want to see him take down Conor McGregor. Id pay to see Lesnar give him a kicking in UFC.

#33 Grimmas

Grimmas

a Wrestling Feminist

• Members
  • 7884 posts

Posted 29 July 2017 - 09:52 AM

Rumour is Jon Jones for Brock to fight.

#34 supersonic

supersonic
  • Members
  • 713 posts

Posted 29 July 2017 - 12:01 PM

I believe Lesnar vs Jones is legit. It gives a good reason for Lesnar to work September PPV but not October in Minnesota or what should really be the all-hands-on-deck for Survivor Series.

#35 The Thread Killer

The Thread Killer

The Canadian Wildman

• Members
  • 1054 posts

Posted 29 July 2017 - 11:50 PM

Well, Jon Jones called out Lesnar tonight after he won his fight, so I guess this goes from a rumor to a possibility.

Thing is, if Lesnar really is interested in fighting Jones, he is going to have to resubmit to USDA testing, and finish out his suspension very soon.  They're saying that UFC would want this fight to happen in December, and for that to happen, Lesnar would have to re-enter the testing pool in the next couple of weeks, and he'd probably need at least 8-10 weeks of serious training in order to be ready to fight Jones - which means no more WWE after September.  Which means supersonic is right, no Lesnar at Survivor Series, if WWE would allow that.  We don't know the conditions of his WWE contract, of course.

It would also mean that as far as I'm concerned, Jones vs. Lesnar might go down in history as the biggest fight between two people who appear to be genuinely unpleasant human beings.  I'm not sure who I'd pull for in that fight, I don't care for either guy one bit.  Kind of reminds me of Nate Diaz vs. Conor McGreggor.

#36 Zoo Enthusiast

Zoo Enthusiast
  • Members
  • 1199 posts

Posted 30 July 2017 - 02:07 PM

Biggest MMA fight, possibly. However, Mayweather/Conor will be the biggest fight of any sort between two genuinely unpleasant humans.

#37 LowBlowPodcast

LowBlowPodcast
  • Members
  • 2815 posts

Posted 30 July 2017 - 02:45 PM

Doesn't Lesnar have a 5 or 6 month suspension to serve? They wanted the November date but that doesn't seem likely. 

I would love to see the fight... but Brock is going to be in trouble against a Jon Jones who has the reach and stand up skills. If Lesnar can get him down and work him one he'd be fine...

Longshot at best right now until random details get worked out.

#38 SirEdger

SirEdger

Eternal nostalgic...especially about wrestling

• Members
  • 1975 posts
  • Interests:Pro wrestling, fantasy booking, hockey, football, history, UFC, baseball, video games, reading.

Posted 30 July 2017 - 11:30 PM

In this situation, given all the parameters with Brock's suspension & his WWE contract, my best guess would be that the fight takes place around next summer for International Fight Week in Vegas.

I'm seeing Jones defending his title at the end of the year against whoever is next in line the Light Heavyweight division

#39 FMKK

FMKK
  • Members
  • 465 posts

Posted 31 July 2017 - 06:21 PM

Just did a promo on Raw where Heyman said that Lesnar would "leave WWE" if he loses the title at Summerslam. Brock looked really slimmed down.

#40 The Thread Killer

The Thread Killer

The Canadian Wildman

• Members
  • 1054 posts

Posted 31 July 2017 - 06:45 PM

Which probably means that he's off the juice, which probably means that he's going to submit to USDA testing, which probably means he's going to take the fight with Jones in December, which probably means the whole reason for the Fatal 4 Way at SummerSlam (aside from it being a good match-up) is so Brock can lose the title without getting pinned.

Probably.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users