Pro Wrestling Only

Between the Sheets #105 (July 19-25, 1984) (Featuring Beau James)

KrisZ

DFgLfjgVoAA48AD.jpg

Kris & David are joined by Beau James (King of Kingsport) to discuss the week that was July 19-25, 1984. We discuss the aftermath of Black Saturday from both the WWF & Georgia sides of things, the Brawl to End it All on MTV and the ascension of Wendi Richter, and of course all of the territories including how Central States got a big victory over the WWF in Kansas City. This is a great show, so don’t miss out!!!!

Timestamps:

0:00:00 WWF
1:44:17 Int’l: AJPW, NJPW, UWF, Montreal, Stampede, & WWC
2:24:16 Classic Commercial Break
2:30:23 Housekeeping & The Amazon Game
3:03:11 USA East: JCP, Georgia, CWF, SECW, & CWA
4:24:31 USA West: Mid-South, WCCW, SWCW, Central States, AWA, & Portland

To support the show and get access to exclusive rewards like special members-only monthly themed shows, go to our Patreon page at https://patreon.com/BetweenTheSheets and become an ongoing Patron. Becoming a Between the Sheets Patron will also get you exclusive access to not only the monthly themed episode of Between the Sheets, but also access to our new mailbag segment, a Patron-only chat room on Slack, and anything else we do outside of the main shows!

You can also support the show by shopping with our Amazon referral link at https://tinyURL.com/BTSAmazon — Nothing extra comes out of your wallet, but Amazon gives us a kickback for referring you to them.

To subscribe, you can find us on iTunes, Google Play, and just about every other podcast app’s directory, or you can also paste http://feeds.FeedBurner.com/BTSheets into your favorite podcast app using whatever “add feed manually” option it has.

http://placetobenation.com/between-the-sheets-105-july-19-25-1984-w-beau-james/

Your completely non-wrestling digression of the day, for Bix: what constitutes a "country" or even the name of a country isn't really as cut-and-dried as you might think. Is South Ossetia a country or not? Is Niue an independent country or not? Is the country in Southeast Asia that's run by a totalitarian military junta called Myanmar or Burma? It all sort of depends on what most other countries recognize as such, and it's not always unanimous. As for less controversial countries like Germany...the name "Germany" pre-dates the modern-day country by hundreds of years. First Germania was how Romans referred to a region of various aligned but independent kingdoms (Bavaria, Saxony, etc.) then to those various kingdoms aligned under the Holy Roman Empire. The modern-day country didn't solidify until 1871--by then, no matter what they called themselves, "Germany" was long established in English-speaking countries and elsewhere. That's not even getting into non-Roman/Germanic languages where a literal translation of a country name (China) isn't really possible. Basically: languages tend to last longer than countries.

Oh, uh, pro wrestling only. wrestlingdata confirms it was Hara as "???" beating Karl Von Steiger.

I've listened to every episode, some multiple times. I love the show but damn do I not like it when Beau is on. Adding the sound of him spitting makes it even worse. I'm not one to usually complain because I love the show and appreciate all the work that you guys put in but damn it was off putting.

Beau seems to be a polarizing figure within the community. When I mentioned I was purchasing some footage from him among some friends it elicited a number of interesting stories from other buyers, but my experience was fine.

I guess regardless of what you think of him personally (or his cell phone connection or his habits) you just don't get that wealth of information on Southern wrestling from anyone else.

Yeah, I know Scott Teal and Beau aren't going to be sending Christmas cards to each other anytime soon, but overall I don't really care about that other than as a curiosity.

I honestly didn't know that was spit--I thought it was a water bottle. This despite the fact that I think Beau mentioned actively having chaw at some point.

I don't understand not liking Beau as a guest. Yes, the spitting got a little annoying, but he is exactly what a guest on a podcast should be. He adds a wealth of knowledge and information about the topics discussed that the hosts themselves do not have, and tells funny, interesting stories. I think he's in the pantheon of great BTS guests, along with Prazak, Dylan, and Emil. Those guys always add something to the shows.

I love listening to Beau's history about wrestling and he will always have a soft spot for me for what he did to help those flood victims in West Virginia 2 or 3 years ago. But him spitting chewing tobacco right into the mic goes up there with Kris's obsession with Mickie James nude photos as the awful things to hear on the show. but as long as he keeps bringing the history I can live with it for 3 hours every 2 months.

Your completely non-wrestling digression of the day, for Bix: what constitutes a "country" or even the name of a country isn't really as cut-and-dried as you might think. Is South Ossetia a country or not? Is Niue an independent country or not? Is the country in Southeast Asia that's run by a totalitarian military junta called Myanmar or Burma? It all sort of depends on what most other countries recognize as such, and it's not always unanimous. As for less controversial countries like Germany...the name "Germany" pre-dates the modern-day country by hundreds of years. First Germania was how Romans referred to a region of various aligned but independent kingdoms (Bavaria, Saxony, etc.) then to those various kingdoms aligned under the Holy Roman Empire. The modern-day country didn't solidify until 1871--by then, no matter what they called themselves, "Germany" was long established in English-speaking countries and elsewhere. That's not even getting into non-Roman/Germanic languages where a literal translation of a country name (China) isn't really possible. Basically: languages tend to last longer than countries.

(diggressing even further)

The case of the name of "Germany" in different languages is especially interesting:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Names_of_Germany

Basically there are 6 completely different origins for currently used names for Germany:

(1) one derived from an old high German word; this version is the source for "Deutschland" and is used in most German languages (except English)

(2) one derived from Latin / Greek which results in Germany, for example; except in English it's used in south-eastern European languages (e.g. Italian, Greek, Romanian, Russian ...) and languages that derived the name from the English word (e.g. Hindu, Malay ...).

(3) one derived from the name of the Alamanni tribe; this version is mostly used in western Europe (Spanish, French ...) and languages that imported this via Turkish (Turkish, Arabic, Tatar ...).

(4) one derived from the name of the Saxon tribe; this is basically used by Finnic languages (Finnish, Estonian and smaller groups)

(5) one derived from a Slavic term, used in eastern Europe (mostly in Slavic languages, but also in Hungarian; Turkish and Arabic use this term for Austria)

(6) one common among Latvian and Lithuanian languages

Regarding Nippon/Nihon and Japan: looking a bit over the Wikipedia article this seems to have to do with some complicated interactions between China and Japan and Europeans as early as Marco Polo were using some variations of names used in China. The Nippon -> Nihon change seems to have happened within the last couple of centuries (Wikipedia says in the Edo period, which means 17th to 19th century). Considering that both pronounciations are still in use (60-40 in favor of Nihon) and apparently younger people tend to use Nihon I would assume that 19th century is more realistic than 17th century.