Pro Wrestling Only

WWE TV July 24 - July 30

...TG

I don't really know why people hate title changes so much. Not every title reign needs to be long and full of successful title defenses, especially if you're trying to do a feud between two wrestlers who are supposed to be equals and it would make sense that either one of them could win on any given night. The Southern Title in Memphis used to change VERY frequently and it's not like that ever stopped people from caring about it.

Having a title change hands frequently doesn't devalue it, having it disappear and never get defended is what devalues a title which we've seen happen somewhat regularly with the U.S. Title and at least that's not happening now.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't hate title changes at all, but they lose their significance if they happen eight times in seven months...especially when most titles are defended monthly. Having something happen that often makes it seem far less special or eventful.

Also, it's hard to get excited about a title change or be happy when one of your favorite wins a title, when you assume they're going to drop it in their next match.

Building up a successful title reign and defending the title on multiple occasions helps make the champion more popular and adds to their mystique, as well. That way, when somebody finally does beat them, it makes whoever did it look more impressive.

If you just randomly trade the title back and forth, why should anybody care that you have it at all?

Building up a successful title reign and defending the title on multiple occasions helps make the champion more popular and adds to their mystique, as well. That way, when somebody finally does beat them, it makes whoever did it look more impressive.

If you do that EVERY time with EVERY title it'd be pretty damn boring.

Hopefully they blow the feud off soon though because it hasn't sparked at all and I's much rather see AJ doing the open challenge gimmick and working guys like Rusev.

I couldn't agree with you more. The quicker this angle ends, the better. I strongly dislike seeing one of my favorite wrestlers being wasted in a stupid angle with one of my least favorite. I usually skip anything involving Kevin Owens, but when it's AJ Styles, I end up being compelled to watch.

There's something to be said for keeping the top titles special and doing the hot shot angles with the secondary titles. We hardly ever saw Hogan defend the title on TV, and when he did it made it seem like a big deal no matter what loaf he was put in there with. I feel the same way with Brock, yeah him being gone for months isn't great but when he is around you know shit's going down. They're even doing it with Jinder too. No matter how you feel about his push, it's going to be a big deal when he gets beat.

Hotshotting all the titles is what made them all worthless in the 90s (hi Vinny Ru!), but doing it with one while keeping the others stable is okay in my book.

If you do that EVERY time with EVERY title it'd be pretty damn boring.

I disagree, but I readily admit that my tastes when it comes to things like that are pretty conventional (if there is such a thing.) I'd just much rather see a championship "chase" with long reigns and even multiple title shots by one contender, than the title switching back and forth like a pendulum. I think they could have easily booked this entire angle between Owens and Styles and made it just as effective with only one title change. In fact, I feel the title change would have been a lot more effective if Owens had thwarted Styles at every turn only to have Styles win the title once and for all in the triple threat with Jericho. Owens could have whined and bitched that he got cheated and never really lost the title, and Styles would have been champ with a title that hadn't been all over the map recently.

But YMMV.

There's something to be said for keeping the top titles special and doing the hot shot angles with the secondary titles. We hardly ever saw Hogan defend the title on TV, and when he did it made it seem like a big deal no matter what loaf he was put in there with. I feel the same way with Brock, yeah him being gone for months isn't great but when he is around you know shit's going down. They're even doing it with Jinder too. No matter how you feel about his push, it's going to be a big deal when he gets beat.

Hotshotting all the titles is what made them all worthless in the 90s (hi Vinny Ru!), but doing it with one while keeping the others stable is okay in my book.

One of the things (perhaps the only thing, actually) I think WWE has done right with the Cruiserweight Division is how they have booked Neville. He went from being an afterthought on Raw, to an absolute killer who has been pretty much unbeatable. How they have booked his title reign has a lot to do with that, IMO.

The idea of a 4 way at SummerSlam normally wouldn't be appealing, but I'm practically giddy at the thought of the Collision of the Hosses.

Because all 4 guys a intertwind in an angle and not guy thrown together to fill a card or lack of creative which is the case 95% of the time, As long as Joe doesnt take the fall to Brock here they can go back to those two

Apologies if this is too much of the Observer to post at once, but this story deserves to be told in all its glory rather than paraphrased:

There was a story 7/17 when GFW had meetings in Nashville and WWE had Raw in the city and some GFW people and WWE people ended up at the same bar later that night. Karen Jarrett came up to Strowman. The belief is that Strowman had no idea who she was, even though it’s not like there are that many woman wrestling fans who look like her. Karen said to him that he was one of her son’s favorite wrestlers and asked for an autograph for her son. I’m not sure what got into Strowman but he was rude, and may have sworn at her (the version I heard had it but that’s from someone far enough away that they didn’t hear the verbiage of what started it but was told he did, but everyone there saw what happened next). It turned into a scene at the bar because Karen immediately cut a major loud promo on him for blowing her off. While she was going off on him, she said how she was going to tell her son’s father about this incident, and her son’s father is Kurt Angle. Strowman did an about face, said he’d sign the autograph and begged her not to tell Kurt or anyone and said he was so sorry. She said she was telling Kurt. He said he’d get on his knees and beg her not to tell Kurt. She said she was still telling him. He did get on his knees in front of a lot of wrestlers from WWE and begged her not to, and she basically said something like now you’re acting like that because you found out that Kurt Angle is the father of her son, but even if he wasn’t, he should have never acted like that to a mother who asked for an autograph for her son, even if it was just another wrestling fan. He did say that’s true and he was sorry. Of course this story will be denied all week by everyone involved

He's going to end up as Alexa Bliss' Boo Bradley.

Pretty much. Does anyone think Vince when he hears about it, he'd be happy with Braun? He was rude to a mother and child asking for an autograph AND then grovelled to a GFW employer? No chance Braun gets booked over Reigns now, if there ever was a chance to begin with.

Pretty much. Does anyone think Vince when he hears about it, he'd be happy with Braun? He was rude to a mother and child asking for an autograph AND then grovelled to a GFW employer? No chance Braun gets booked over Reigns now, if there ever was a chance to begin with.

I feel embarrassed reading this post and you should feel embarrassed that you typed it out.

according to Josh Satin and Pro wrestling sheet the original ending at the PPV was Owens cheating to win during the ref bump but Shane coming out and re-starting the match leading to AJ retaining

makes sense as they are clearly building to Owens v Shane

See, now that makes sense and that is an angle I can get behind - in the sense that I don't give a shit about either guy and can totally ignore it. Owens is a perfect guy to wrestle Shane. They can both take stupid pointless bumps together.

That sounds like total bullshit.

I've met Karen at a rinky dink TNA houseshow back when she was with Kurt, she's definitely a no-fucks-given take no shit personality. You can choose to believe the groveling part or not, but it seems 100% accurate from her side.

I am guessing some version of the story happened but that this is wildly exaggerated. If Dave had waited another next week to report it, Braun would have thrown his drink in her face when she asked for the autograph, then offered to bloody her son's poor little head and use it as the pen so he could sign the autograph in the child's own blood. Braun would have seriously considered leaving wrestling to join the church when he realized it was Karen Jarrett before re-enacting "What I Should Have Said Theatre" from Saved By The Bell.

I mean, considering most people in WWE (especially those that came up through their system and never worked anywhere else) are in constant fear of losing their jobs I could see Braun being legit scared of being told on. Part of the training in the PC seems to drill it into everyone's heads that they're nothing without WWE.

I am guessing some version of the story happened but that this is wildly exaggerated. If Dave had waited another next week to report it, Braun would have thrown his drink in her face when she asked for the autograph, then offered to bloody her son's poor little head and use it as the pen so he could sign the autograph in the child's own blood. Braun would have seriously considered leaving wrestling to join the church when he realized it was Karen Jarrett before re-enacting "What I Should Have Said Theatre" from Saved By The Bell.

This is more entertaining that whatever crap those 25 "writers" come up with every week. If Karen bitchslaps Abyss next week on iMPACT, I'll watch.

I feel embarrassed reading this post and you should feel embarrassed that you typed it out.

No I am pretty comfortable being a Braun mark and as much as I respect his talent, I hate Reigns's character. I would rather see Braun on my tv instead of Reigns.

If you meant everything I typed before the Reigns part, well I don't know what to say. Everything in Vince's history would suggest that to be the case. So uhh no not embarrassed. Thanks for worrying about what I should think though.

Hashtags are a pretty weak form of protest and WWE has made it clear they don't care so I think it's time for someone to just step up and self immolate in front of Titan Towers to stop the Roman Reigns push and get Vince to go away and retire.