Pro Wrestling Only

To freelance or not to freelance

LowBlowPodcast

Since we have got about 4 months until we do the 1986 fresh face... I wanted to put a topic out there that we always find a way to discuss... freelancers.

Right now we've got

Bruiser Brody

Stan Hansen

Jerry Lawler

The Rock N Roll Express

Abdullah the Butcher

Mil Mascaras

I would like to have some discussion on if we should continue to have freelancers or include these names into the 1986 fresh face draft to do away with the freelance idea.

Looking for feedback from all those involved.

I am personally on the fence as I see the benefit for all those who use them but also know that these are some big time names that could really take a promotion up a level. Just for arguments sake... the Rock N Roll would have to be drafted with two separate picks... not just using your first and second round... you could pick Robert Gibson but then have to hope Ricky Morton makes it back around... that is unless you trade for two picks in a row.

What do you guys think at this point?

With Hansen, Brody, and Abdullah in particular: Those guys were totally freelancers "in real life" who were just as likely to pop up in Japan or PR as in any territory. I think it adds some spice to the game that we can use them that way.

To be honest, I like the freelance system that we have now. Having those guys being able to be used in our territories on a regular basis with no strings attached is a huge boost, especially for smaller territories like mine or Smokey Mountain and soon, Central States. So I'd vote for sticking this way.

Throwing it out there, what do we do with the Women? Do we throw them in free agency if someone wants to build a women's division?

I would say put them in the draft,the Rock & Roll Express at least.

Also, do we want to look maybe limiting how many dates you can book a freelancer at one time so people don't book someone up nearly the entire month for several months all at once? I mean it's not a huge deal but at what point does it go from "freelancer" to just unofficially being on someone's roster for free?

I'm obviously biased as a small time company at this point, and my voice shouldnt be given much stock until I start producing shows, but I think the xonsensus makes a lot of sense here. The Freelancer idea is a very good one, but the R&R Express and maybe even Lawler don't fall completely into it.

I also like the idea of the R&R's potentially being split up. It's a real interesting idea to think of just how far a singles Ricky Morton run in 86 could go.

Of all the freelancers, Jerry Lawler & The Rock N' Roll Express make the more sense to be put into the draft. We obviously put them in freelance because of their drawing power but in reality, they aren't freelancers like Brody, Abdullah or Stan Hansen are.

So I'm 100% behind the option of putting Lawler & the Rock N' Roll Express in the draft. Let's keep Bruiser, Abdullah, Hansen & Mil Mascaras as the main freelancers.

I think it is all but settled that Lawler and the Rock N Roll will go to the draft unless anyone has a big opposition to it. Post it here and we can hash it out but we can plan on them being a part of the 1986 fresh face draft.

We will keep it at 3 rounds at this point then... I don't see the need to jump it up to 4. Plus remember that your roster cap is 49 right now... it will jump to 50 with this draft but not get any higher. We could maybe jump to 51 or 55 in January of 1987 if we make it that far but we have more than enough space with the talent that is available.

Given that most of us will get rid of our jobber packs, I don't think that roster caps will be an issue. Plus, maybe that many like me will prefer to keep their roster to a specific number to maximize the use of everyone. So, in the end, everything should work out fine.