Pro Wrestling Only

[2000-07-06-IWRG] Mr Niebla vs Scorpio Jr

soup23

Another Scorpio classic. Great lucha with logical limb work and fluid moves throughout the match. Niebla gets his arm worked over on the first fall and does a neat reversal using the referee to counter. He ends up getting the win by tying up Scorp and Scorp having to submit. The second fall starts with Scorps leg getting worked over like crazy and he sells it beautifully. Some more discussion over whether Scorp fouls or not making his comeback in the second fall and the referee does a great job hesitating before making the count. Niebla hulking up by doing a little shimmy really works for me. Scorp does another wonderful job off of the pinfall sequence having to gather his composure and feeling confused. Niebla goes for the same thing that won him the first fall but Scorpio kicks out of it the first time. Niebla regains by going back to the wounded leg and since Scorpio is compromised with that, Niebla is able to hit the moonsault. That gets a nearfall but the second attempt from Niebla on the moonsault misses. Scorpio seizes the opportunity and hits a big powerbomb in a burst of energy to win the match. A great lucha title match. **** (8.0)

• 3 months later...

Despite my exploration into lucha in the PWO2K project I still feel the slightest bit of disconnect with what I'm watching at times. And this was one of those matches. Niebla's performance and role in the match was fine but he looked really lost at one point during the opening fall and it kind of took me out of it. And though Scorpio seems to be holding this together well, I was never really blown away.

It grew on me as the match went on but I was never fully able to come around on it. Chalk it up as another rung on the lucha ladder as I continue to appreciate the style.

• 4 weeks later...

Gotta agree that this wasn't too exciting. Niebla is really hit and miss and while Scorpio tries hard, it depends on who he's in there with on if the match is going to be good or not. Third fall wasn't that bad when Niebla hits the dive and they trade holds back and forth. The finish was really flat. OK title match.

• 1 month later...

This was a solid title match. The surprising thing about it continues to be that Scorpio is capable of such performances although I think it's time to acknowledge that Scorpio has been pretty much excellent the entire year and is not, in fact, a Mexican version of Billy Gunn. It's hard to produce a big title match feel in Arena Naucalpan but it's nice to see some long-form lucha libre as an alternative to CMLL.

• GSR changed the title to [2000-07-06-IWRG] Mr Niebla vs Scorpio Jr