Pro Wrestling Only

NWA Lutte Internationale August 1985

SirEdger

August 2nd, 1985

Ottawa, ON

Alexis Smirnoff vs Marty Jannetty was supposed to take place at that event but was cancelled due to Marty Jannetty's no-show. Smirnoff ended up in the corner of Boris Zhukov & Baron Von Raschke later in the show. More on this story as it develops.

During the show, co-branded with Le Cirque Du Soleil, Le Cirque's resident clown D'Artagnan was in attendance in the stands with the crowd but he wasn't exactly acting like the usual clown. He was more or less dressed as a hobo and wore a sad face painting rather than the usual happy face facepaint. D'Artagnan remained stoic through the duration of the show.

Quebec Heavyweight Championship: Armand Rougeau beat Billy Robinson (w/Sherri Martel) in 11:14 to retain

-The Creatchman Family (NWA World Tag Team Champion Lord Humongous & The Great Samu, w/Eddy "The Brain" Creatchman) beat The Bolshevik Revolution (Boris Zhukov & Baron Von Raschke, w/Alexis Smirnoff) in 16:54

-SMW's Pat Rose defeated Strong Machine 3 in 13:04. Strong Machine 2 tried to do the switch instead of Super Strong Machine but got caught by another SMW talent, Don Bass, who attacked him at ringside, allowing Pat Rose to roll up Strong Machine 3 for the win! Postmatch, Don Bass & Strong Machine 2 ended up fighting in the ring, prompting referee Luigi Macera to start the next match immediately!

-Strong Machine 2 beat SMW's Don Bass in 14:50. This time, the illegal switch with Strong Machine 3 was successful and secured the win for the Machines!

-NWA World Tag Team Champion Botswana Beast (w/Eddy "The Brain" Creatchman) beat Richard "Le Magnifique" Charland (w/Frenchy Martin) in 10:47

-The Guerreros (Hector & Chavo) beat "Mr. Electricity" Steve Regal & Steve Strong in 12:42 when Hector made Strong submit to the Gory Special

NWA Canadian International TV Championship Open Challenge: Gino Brito beat the debuting Ivan Putski in 16:28 to retain

I love wrestling with head-scratchers.

What's up with Marty Jannetty.... angry that his kid partner is getting all the attention....... homesick....... who knows and that is what makes you come back next week.

And what is up with a grumpy clown. I mean happy clowns are creepy enough but a grumpy one! The poor children in Ottawa.

NWA Lutte Internationale TV

Taped at CHLT-TV Studios, Sherbrooke, QC

Broadcasted August 3rd, 1985

dieu.jpg220px-Nwalogobw.jpg

(After the opening credits, we go to the broadcast booth where stand Guy Hauray & Édouard Carpentier to start the show)

Guy Hauray: Good morning everyone and welcome to Lutte Internationale TV. Another jam-packed episode this week that will feature among others the NWA Canadian International Heavyweight Champion Andre the Giant. As we know, Eddie, it has already been announced that Andre will work his final event for us on August 11 at the CNE Coliseum in Toronto for the 2nd night of our doubleheader there and he also requested to wrestle his good friend Bob Backlund for that match. And should Andre retain against Backlund, he will vacate the championship afterwards

Édouard Carpentier: It will surely be interesting to watch as we all know that Backlund wants to win that title badly, regardless of his friendship with Andre. So you know that he’ll be ready. As for Frank Valois, as I was told on the phone earlier this week, he & Bruno Sammartino have come up with a backup plan that will be put into effect for our Heatwave special TV event on August 17 at the Centre Paul-Sauvé.

Guy Hauray: And this will be addressed by Bruno Sammartino next week on our special TV episode that will take a look at what’s coming for Heatwave. But also this week, Raymond Rougeau is back into action after getting roughed up by Baron Von Raschke 2 weeks ago as he takes on Hector Guerrero in our main event.

Édouard Carpentier: This should be interesting, to say the least. This time, Raymond will have an opponent that’ll play fair in the ring in Hector Guerrero. Two similar styles that should make for an exciting main event, that’s for certain!

Guy Hauray: With that in mind, let’s get to the ring for our opening bout of the show!

Match #1

Strong Machine #2 (w/Super Strong Machine) vs Egbert Eliot

Despite the presence of Super Strong Machine at ringside, no illegal switch is needed in this one as poor Egbert Eliot is dismantled by Strong Machine #2. The masked oriental extends the agony to end the match in about 2:30 after Eliot is pinned after a DDT.

Winner: Strong Machine #2

After the match, Super Strong Machine climbs in the ring and starts beating up Eliot along with Strong Machine #2. Then, Super Strong Machine pulls up another Machine mask and puts it on poor Egbert Eliot’s face. The beatdown continues until the Canadian International TV Champion Gino Brito makes his way to the ring, chair in hand, chasing off the Machines. Gino Brito rapidly goes to the broadcast booth and takes the microphone.

Gino Brito: Super Strong Machine, I’ve had it with your shenanigans and your empty threats. You think you can come in our territory and our country and intimidate everyone and anyone into getting what you want? I know what you want. Yeah...yeah...(Super Strong Machine points at Brito’s title belt) You want to be the NWA Canadian International TV Champion. I’ve won it 2 times already and I’m not afraid to put it on the line again. So, if this is my title that you want, you won’t have to ask twice. In 2 weeks, at the Centre Paul-Sauvé in Montreal at Heatwave, I’m gonna make sure that you’re going back to Japan and not ever coming back!

(Super Strong Machine simply nods his head in accepting Gino Brito’s challenge and both men stare at each other before leaving.)

Guy Hauray: Eddie, we have our first official match for Heatwave in 2 weeks!

Édouard Carpentier: I don’t know if this was part of Super Strong Machine’s strategy but it worked and he’s now getting a title shot in Montreal on August 17.

Guy Hauray: This should be an exciting match but perhaps Gino Brito’s toughest challenge yet as TV Champion. When we come back, Alexis Smirnoff goes one-on-one with Mando Guerrero!

CONFIRMED FOR HEATWAVE/VAGUE DE CHALEUR ON AUGUST 17TH

NWA CANADIAN INTERNATIONAL TV CHAMPIONSHIP

Gino Brito © vs Super Strong Machine

************COMMERCIAL BREAK******************

Match #2

Alexis Smirnoff vs Mando Guerrero

No surprise to anyone that Boris Zhukov is showing up at ringside early on to distract Mando and it works as Smirnoff gets the early advantage. Smirnoff works on Mando’s legs, to prevent him from doing high flying moves and his trademark offense. Smirnoff seems to be on his way to a victory until Chavo Guerrero shows up as Boris Zhukov is trying to interfere and knocks him off the apron. Referee Luigi Macera goes checking on Zhukov outside and Smirnoff gets distracted by Chavo, who nails him with a right hand! Smirnoff staggers towards Mando, who picks up Smirnoff and puts him in the Gory Special! Mando has the hold locked tight and as Luigi Macera returns to the ring, he sees Smirnoff in difficulty and the Russian turncoat gives up! Referee calls for the bell and Mando scores the victory, thanks in part to big brother Chavo!

Winner: Mando Guerrero

As both Mando & Chavo celebrate, Gilles “The Fish” Poisson makes his way to the broadcast booth as well and asks for Édouard Carpentier to join him.

Édouard Carpentier: Well, Mr. Poisson, what brings you here?

Gilles Poisson: M. Carpentier, la semaine passée, j’suis venu exactement à cette même table-là pis je vous ai dit que j’étais pas impressionné par les frères Guerrero pis j’ai pas changé d’idée une semaine plus tard. Moi, j’suis pas Alexis Smirnoff. J’suis un tough. C’est impossible que j’abandonne sur le Gory Special. Jamais y réussiront.

(Translation : Mr. Carpentier, last week, I came to this very broadcast table and I told you that I wasn’t impressed by the Guerrero brothers and I haven’t changed my mind a week later. I ain’t Alexis Smirnoff. I’m a tough guy. There’s no way I would submit to the Gory Special. They never will get me.)

Édouard Carpentier: Mr. Poisson, are you implying that you’re a better grappler and submission wrestler than the Guerreros?

Gilles Poisson: Certainement que j’suis meilleur qu’eux autres. Pis j’ai ben l’impression de leur prouver (Translation : Of course I’m better than them. And I’m intent on proving it to ‘em)

(While Poisson is giving his interview, the Guerreros walk by, totally ignoring Poisson and act like if he wasn’t there)

Gilles Poisson: Vous voyez, monsieur Carpentier? Le manque de respect qu’on vient de me montrer, c’est inacceptable. Mais s’ils veulent pas me prendre au sérieux, c’est correct comme ça. Le 17 août prochain au Centre Paul-Sauvé, je vas leur prouver qu’ils feraient mieux de me prendre au sérieux. D’ailleurs, j’exige un combat de soumission contre n’importe quel des Guerreros!

(Translation : You see, Mr. Carpentier? That show of disrespect is unacceptable. But if they don’t want to take me seriously, it’s just fine by me. August 17th at Heatwave at the Centre Paul-Sauvé, I’ll prove to them that they better take me seriously. In fact, I’m demanding a Submission Match against any of the Guerreros!

Édouard Carpentier: With all due respect, Gilles, what kind of submission move do you have in your arsenal that makes you believe that you can beat any of the Guerreros?

Gilles Poisson: Pensez-vous vraiment que j’vas vous le dire, monsieur Carpentier? Ce serait pas brillant de ma part de dévoiler des cartes dans mon jeu. Si les Guerreros acceptent mon défi, vous devrez attendre jusqu’au 17 août pour le savoir. Pis je vous promets que vous serez pas déçu!

(Translation : Do you honestly think I’ll tell you, Mr. Carpentier? It wouldn’t be smart on my part to show my hand. If the Guerreros accept my challenge, you’ll have to wait until August 17 to know. And I promise you won’t be disappointed!)

(Gilles Poisson leaves the broadcast area and returns to the back. Édouard Carpentier joins back Guy Hauray at the broadcast booth)

Guy Hauray: Once again, Gilles Poisson seeking attention and wants a piece of the Guerreros, Eddie. But a Submission Match? Is it smart?

Édouard Carpentier: I don’t know, Guy. Poisson is a crafty veteran. You don’t claim to be able to resist to the Gory Special unless you have a plan to avoid being caught in it. I guess that should the Guerreros accept The Fish’s challenge, we’ll be fixed at Heatwave.

Guy Hauray: Until then, we’ll have to wait but when we come back, Andre the Giant is here for his final TV appearance with us!

TO BE ADDED TO HEATWAVE CARD ON AUGUST 17

SUBMISSION MATCH

Gilles “The Fish” Poisson vs one of the Guerreros

*****COMMERCIAL BREAK****

Match #3

NWA Canadian International Heavyweight Champion Andre the Giant vs The Spoiler

Both veterans shake hands before the match starts. For the Spoiler, his main focus is to make sure in this match that he’s able to lock in The Claw on Andre at some point during the match. However, Andre’s massiveness is no help to the Spoiler and it’s virtually impossible for him to wear down the giant long enough to accomplish what he wants. In the end, Andre finishes off The Spoiler with a double underhook suplex to score the win.

Winner: Andre the Giant

(After the match, Andre goes to the broadcast booth and asks The Spoiler to join him.)

Andre the Giant: Thank you very much. It has been a great honor for me to be here with you guys. As you know, after August 11, I won’t be able to come here again. But I want to make the most of what I have left in this territory. And this means I can choose my remaining opponents. For my last title defense, I picked my friend Bob Backlund but I have one last title defense before that date and I want this one to be against you, Spoiler.

The Spoiler: Wow....this means a lot to me, Andre. It will be an honor. I hope you’re gonna bring everything you got because I sure will.

(Andre & The Spoiler shake hands and Andre salutes the studio audience one last time as he walks to the back with The Spoiler...)

Guy Hauray: There you have it, folks. The two final title defences for Andre are set. The Spoiler on August 9 and of course, Bob Backlund on August 11.

Édouard Carpentier: It was fun while it lasted, Guy, but Andre sure left his mark this summer on this territory. No one expected him to come back here and he might walk out undefeated as champion. This is unheard of. I’m very proud of him.

Guy Hauray: As we all are. Coming up next, our main event featuring Hector Guerrero & Raymond Rougeau!

******COMMERCIAL BREAK + PROMO AD FOR HEATWAVE/VAGUE DE CHALEUR******

MAIN EVENT

Match #4

Hector Guerrero vs Raymond Rougeau

Both men showing respect towards each other by shaking hands. The broadcast team hypes how much royalty the Guerreros & Rougeaus are considered in their respective birthplaces. Highly-contested match pitting Hector’s high-flying skills against Rougeau’s more gritty but technical style. Fair play is the name of the game in this match but in the end, an unexpected slingshot move in the turnbuckle turns out to be Raymond’s downfall as his injured eye connects on the turnbuckle, sending him down in a heap. Unaware of what has happened, Hector pins Raymond and scores the victory. After the match, Hector stays in the ring to check on Raymond but that’s the moment chosen by Gilles Poisson to make his return in the studio and clock Hector from behind! Poisson doesn’t hesitate and locks in a big bearhug on Hector and refuses to let go until Mando & Chavo Guerrero ran in as well! This week’s episode ends with The Fish being happy with what he just did while the Guerreros check on Hector.

Winner: Hector Guerrero

20111012-052508-g.jpg

À LA SEMAINE PROCHAINE SI DIEU LE VEUT!

August 3rd, 1985

Chauvin, AB

WRESTLING UNDER THE TENT!!!

D'Artagnan the clown was there again and just like yesterday, he remained stoic throughout the whole show in the crowd.

-"Ace" Bob Orton (w/Sherri Martel) beat Pat Rose in 16:18. Orton was wearing Terry Taylor's old cut-off Sensational jacket.

-Alexis Smirnoff beat Strong Machine 3 in 6:17

-Frenchy's Legion (w/Frenchy Martin) beat The Spoiler & Mark Youngblood in 11:57

-NWA World Tag Team Champion Lord Humongous (w/Eddy "The Brain" Creatchman) beat Dino Bravo in 16:51

I enjoyed the series of shows here as with the beating after the bell and the run in for the south gave it is nice Southern U.S feel. I was surprised that you went with a repeat match with Andre choosing the Spoiler.

Looking forward to Andre vs Backlund but wondering if there is a turn by someone here in Andre's last match.

August 4th, 1985

Golden, BC

WRESTLING UNDER THE TENT!!

D'Artagnan the clown was once again on hand, stoic & ignoring everyone around him during the show.

-"Mr. Electricity" Steve Regal & Dino Bravo beat The Sensationals ( Oliver & Robinson, w/Sherri Martel) in 11:45

-The Spoiler beat Mando Guerrero in 16:01

-Richard "Le Magnifique" Charland (w/Frenchy Martin) beat Rick Martel with a roll-up in 10:22

-Bob Backlund beat "Ace" Bob Orton (w/Sherri Martel) in 16:30

August 9th, 1985

Hespeler, ON

-Ole Anderson beat Billy Robinson (w/Sherri Martel) in 10:25

-Strong Machine 2 beat The Great Samu (w/Eddy "The Brain" Creatchman) in 9:49 after an illegal switch with Super Strong Machine

-Shawn Michaels beat Dino Bravo in 10:13. Before the match, Michaels took the mic and said that he & Marty Jannetty would regain what was wrongfully taken away from them by the NWA and that's the NWA Canadian International Tag Team Championship....

-Hector Guerrero beat "Ace" Bob Orton (w/Sherri Martel) in 13:24. As usual, Orton was wearing the old Terry Taylor cut-off Sensational jacket.

-Dory Funk Jr beat Raymond Rougeau in 11:03 with the Spinning Toehold

Quebec Heavyweight Championship: Armand Rougeau beat Boris Zhukov in 9:28 to retain

NWA Canadian International TV Championship: Gino Brito beat Super Strong Machine in 34:27 to retain

NWA Canadian International Heavyweight Championship: Andre the Giant beat The Spoiler in 12:52 to retain. Both men shook hands after the match.

Lutte Internationale TV

Taped at CHLT-TV Studios, Sherbrooke, QC

Broadcasted August 10th, 1985

dieu.jpg220px-Nwalogobw.jpg

(After the opening credits, we’re headed to the broadcast booth where Guy Hauray & Édouard Carpentier are waiting to start the show. However this week, there isn’t a studio audience. In fact, there’s no ring set up at all. What could this mean?)

Guy Hauray: Hello everyone and welcome to Lutte Internationale TV. This week, our show will be a bit different as it will not feature any in-studio live action but a series of matches from recent past live events as well as an exclusive yet untelevised match featuring Dino Bravo. But this week, we have some serious matters at hand. Last week, we found out that NWA Canadian International Tag Team Champions The Midnight Rockers had defected to the World Wrestling Federation but because of outside-the-ring issues, the WWF have rescinded the Rockers’ new deal and now they’re back with us. As a result, of course, they were immediately stripped of their championships.

(The camera pans to the broadcast booth where the tag team title belts are on display).

Édouard Carpentier: We would like to bring out NWA Special Appointee Bruno Sammartino to the desk.

(Bruno Sammartino walks out and joins the broadcast team)

Édouard Carpentier: First, Bruno, thanks for joining us and before we get to the point, I think you need to explain to us exactly what happened last week at UWF/CCW Beach Brawl when you helped your son David defeat Dusty Rhodes...

Bruno Sammartino: With all due respect, Édouard, there is nothing to explain. My son needed me and I did what every father would’ve done in my position. I think we have a few things more important to take care of.

Édouard Carpentier: As you wish, sir, so what exactly is gonna happen with those championship titles?

Bruno Sammartino: Before we get to that, I’d like to announce something important for Heatwave. As we all know, Andre the Giant’s last date will be on August 11 in Toronto and won’t be able to work with us anymore. Therefore, should he retain his title tomorrow night, he will vacate the title after the show. And we can’t head into our biggest show of the summer of 1985 without having a proper champion to close the show. So, on August 17, we will have a one-night 8-men tournament to crown the next NWA Canadian International Heavyweight Champion pending Andre still being the champion. I will personally select the individuals competing in the tournament. I’m fairly confident that we’ll have a deserving champion after that tournament.

Guy Hauray: Great news, Bruno, but again, what now with the tag team titles?

Bruno Sammartino: Well, as you know now, the NWA Canadian International Tag Team Championships are now vacant because of the Midnight Rockers’ unprofessional conduct. But before I announce anything, I know that those young men are here at the studio so I’d like for them to come out and see if they have anything to say.

(The Midnight Rockers in street clothes make their way to the broadcast booth. They both are sporting sunglasses as well.)

Bruno Sammartino: Gentlemen, I hope you realize how lucky you are to even have a job again after what you did. This isn’t an opportunity that you can squabble away without suffering the consequences of it. Do you have something to say?

Marty Jannetty (almost inaudible): Well, Shawn and I, we’re sorry and...

(Shawn Michaels seems annoyed and Bruno notices it right away)

Bruno Sammartino: Mr. Michaels, you don’t seem to be enjoying yourself. Do you agree with your friend?

Shawn Michaels: You know what? Marty, I’m gonna handle this right now. No, we weren’t enjoying ourselves. Here you are, giving us the keys to the kingdom; giving us the chance of a lifetime and winning those tag team titles and you didn’t have the decency to pay us like we were supposed to? You shouldn’t be surprised to learn that we did what we did. And guess what? We don’t have any regrets over it.

Bruno Sammartino: If it’s the way you’re behaving yourselves, I’m gonna tell you right now that you’re not gonna have long careers in this business. You don’t burn bridges while you’re still on them.

(Marty tries to calm down an agitated Shawn but it doesn’t work)

Shawn Michaels: Of all people, YOU are acting so holy? Are you kidding me? Here you are standing right in front of us, scolding us for “unprofessional conduct” (Shawn using his fingers for air quotes while saying it) and you got the gall to say this after what you did in Miami last Sunday? You can’t possibly think that the NWA Board of Directors is too thrilled about you screwing Dusty Rhodes out of a victory, aren’t ya?

(Bruno now realizes that Shawn Michaels has a point and he’s now cornered...)

Shawn Michaels: So, the bottom line is this, old man: you wanna strip us of those tag team championships? Do it. However, we all know that your job is in jeopardy right now because of what you did and we won’t hesitate going to Jim Crockett or whoever runs the Board of Directors and tell our side of the story and have you dismissed. We want a shot at getting our titles back and if we don’t, we swear that you’re gonna be in big trouble, “sir.”

Bruno Sammartino: Alright....fair enough. Then, we’re gonna do something that I don’t think hasn’t ever been done in pro wrestling before. I was expected to announce that on August 17, after consulting with Frank Valois & Jim Crockett, that the team of Richard Charland & Mad Dog Lefebvre would be wrestling The Vachons, Paul & Maurice for the vacant titles and crown new champions. However, instead, we’re gonna have that match for the Interim Canadian International Tag Team Titles. And whoever wins that match, they’ll face you the next night in Stoney Point, ON to unify the two sets of titles. This will be your one & only chance to show me & Lutte Internationale that you deserve to be here.

Shawn Michaels: That’s all we were asking.

Marty Jannetty: Thank you, sir...

(The Midnight Rockers are about to leave when Shawn Michaels grabs Guy Hauray’s mic)

Shawn Michaels: Oh...and one last thing.....you mentioned a tournament to crown a new NWA Canadian International Heavyweight Champion, correct?

Bruno Sammartino: Yes.

Shawn Michaels: Cool...guess what? We want in this one as well. We wanna be part of that tournament, too.

Bruno Sammartino: Or what? Are you gonna whine to the NWA Board of Directors about that too?

Shawn Michaels: You know the drill, Bruno. You get us in and we’re not gonna meddle anymore in your stuff.

Bruno Sammartino: Alright, then...Marty Jannetty, you’re in that tournament.

(Shawn Michaels seems a bit stunned but seeing Marty excited completely changes his focus and returns him to reality)

Shawn Michaels: Okay....okay....that’s awesome. On that note, have a good day, gentlemen, and just watch us.

(The Midnight Rockers return to the back but Bruno is still at the booth)

Guy Hauray: Mr. Sammartino, what message are you sending to the rest of the locker room by caving in to young men like the Rockers?

Bruno Sammartino: I didn’t cave in on anything, Mr. Hauray. Shawn Michaels raised a valid point; my conduct wasn’t exactly professional either. They did a mistake and I probably find myself in trouble with the Board of Directors but I’ll take my chance on that. Now, there isn’t a guarantee that the Rockers will win back those titles because both potential interim champions are no slouches either. Now, as for the tournament itself, they can be excited all they want but when they see the field of entrants, they’ll probably regret making that request....

Guy Hauray: Thank you, Mr. Sammartino.

Bruno Sammartino: You’re welcome.

(Bruno Sammartino leaves the booth and returns in the back)

Guy Hauray: Eddie, this is an explosive situation right now and the Midnight Rockers seized the situation in which Bruno Sammartino is in after his actions in Miami to get what they wanted.

Édouard Carpentier: We don’t have to agree with what they did but I believe we can understand their motives behind them. I don’t think that we’ll see some cordiality between both sides going forward.

Guy Hauray: When we come back, our exclusive footages in preparation for Heatwave live next Saturday night.

******COMMERCIAL BREAK*****

Guy Hauray: Welcome back to the show. As we mentioned at the top of the program, this week will feature some exclusive footage that hasn’t aired yet. Later on, we’ll show you highlights of the match that pitted NWA World Heavyweight Champion Ric Flair and Gino Brito from the Great American Bash Tour last month. We will indeed focus on the NWA Canadian International TV Title match for next week as later, we’ll see the first encounter between Super Strong Machine and champion Gino Brito from last night in Hespeler, Ontario! But up first, we’ll show you the very first match Dino Bravo had on TV when he returned to the territory last month. In this dark match, Dino Bravo goes one-on-one with Kenneth Barnett!

EXCLUSIVE MATCH

Dino Bravo vs Kenneth Barnett

A very nice ovation awaits Dino Bravo as he makes way inside the ring, the audience visibly forgiving him for the way he left the territory earlier this year. Dino Bravo is in tip-top condition and there isn’t a whole lot that poor Kenneth Barnett can do to stop Bravo. In the end, Dino Bravo ends the match with a side slam to score the victory.

Winner: Dino Bravo

Guy Hauray: Victorious debut for Dino but the road has been a bit tougher for him since he returns. But Bravo is adamant that he’ll be back on top sooner rather than later.

Édouard Carpentier: He most certainly will. Dino Bravo is one helluvan athlete. He’s a former International TV Champion and he can hang around with the best in the world. To me, it’s only a matter of time before he regains gold.

Guy Hauray: After the break, we take you back to last night where Super Strong Machine got his first chance to take the title away from Gino Brito prior to their Heatwave encounter!

*****COMMERCIAL BREAK*****

FOOTAGE FROM LAST NIGHT IN HESPELER, ON

NWA Canadian International TV Championship

Super Strong Machine vs Gino Brito ©

Prior to the start of the match, referee Adrien Desbois throws out Strong Machine #2 & Strong Machine #3 from ringside to make sure that they won’t try to make the illegal switch. Super Strong Machine seems a bit thrown off by this early turn of events but the Japanese foreigner regained momentum quickly after Brito landed shoulder first in the turnbuckle. Super Strong Machine worked on Brito’s shoulder & neck through the duration of the match, obviously preparing the Machine DDT. However, Brito is able to squeak by a small package as Super Strong Machine is ready to hit the Machine DDT and he walks away with the victory. Brito quickly escapes the ring, celebrating with the fans as Super Strong Machine is visibly upset with how this one ended.

Winner and still champion: Gino Brito (9:28)

Guy Hauray: It’s safe to say that Gino Brito stole that one as he miraculously escaped still the champion.

Édouard Carpentier: And you have to wonder if he’ll be able to repeat this next week at Heatwave. Super Strong Machine has been dominant through the entire match and only one misstep allowed Gino to retain. Knowing what Super Strong Machine is capable of, he won’t repeat that mistake again.

Guy Hauray: But one match where Gino looked better took place last month on the very first day of the Great American Bash Tour. When we return, Ric Flair defends the NWA World Heavyweight Championship against Gino Brito!

******COMMERCIAL BREAK*******

FEATURE BOUT

FROM RFK STADIUM IN WASHINGTON, DC

GREAT AMERICAN BASH TOUR DAY 1

NWA World Heavyweight Championship

“Nature Boy” Ric Flair (w/ JJ Dillon) vs Gino Brito (NWA Canadian International TV Champion)

As expected, JJ Dillon gives some advice to the champion before stepping out of the ring. Gino Brito isn’t intimidated at all by the World Heavyweight Champion and that shows early on in the match as Ric Flair definitely didn’t expect Brito to be this tough. But eventually, Ric Flair demonstrates why he’s the World Heavyweight Champion as he pulls every dirty trick possible to gain the advantage. However, Ric Flair tried to go on the top rope and it never pans out well for the champ when he does that. This is the opening that Brito was looking for and it doesn’t take long before Brito slaps in the Figure Four Leglock. Sensing trouble, JJ Dillon climbs on the ring apron with his dress shoe and argues with the official. Unbeknownst to the referee, Dillon throws in the shoe to Flair and Flair knocks out Brito with it! Flair reverses Brito’s Figure Four and locks on his own Figure Four on Brito, who’s unresponsive and unconscious. The referee counts to 3 and Flair retains his championship. Postmatch, Ric Flair & JJ Dillon put the boots on Gino until his friend and tag partner, Rick Martel, makes the save and chases away Flair & Dillon. Martel is able to get a few shots on Dillon but Flair quickly grabs his manager and they retreat to the back. Martel helps out his friend to retreat to the back.

Winner and still champion: Ric Flair

Guy Hauray: As we see, Rick Martel was more than eager to get his hands on the World Heavyweight Champion. Martel even scored a victory by countout 3 days later at Jarry Park in Montreal.

Édouard Carpentier: Not a lot of men can say that they’ve been able to beat the NWA World Heavyweight Champion, regardless of the circumstances and who they are. Now, Martel wants to prove that he can beat the champion and he’s determined to do so.

Guy Hauray: And Rick Martel will get his rematch. The night before Heatwave; Friday August 16th at the CNE Coliseum in Toronto. In the 3rd night of a tripleheader, Ric Flair & Rick Martel will main event that card as they’ll collide for the NWA World Heavyweight Championship. But before we go, we have breaking news as I just got word that Bruno Sammartino has released the brackets of the tournament to crown a new NWA Canadian International Heavyweight Champion, if Andre retains his championship in the 2nd night of our Toronto tripleheader, on Sunday August 11th. Here they are:

http://challonge.com/l28rxy0o

Guy Hauray: This tournament is wide open and it’s anybody’s to win. Who will it be? We’ll find out LIVE next Saturday at Heatwave. Here is the rest of the card.

NON-TOURNAMENT MATCHES

NWA CANADIAN INTERNATIONAL TV CHAMPIONSHIP

Super Strong Machine vs Gino Brito ©

INTERIM NWA CANADIAN INTERNATIONAL TAG TEAM CHAMPIONSHIP

Winners face the Midnight Rockers to become the undisputed tag team champions

Frenchy’s Legion vs The Vachons

SUBMISSION MATCH

Gilles “The Fish” Poisson vs one of the Guerreros

+ NWA World Heavyweight Champion Ric Flair & Rick Martel in attendance

20111012-052508-g.jpg

À LA SEMAINE PROCHAINE SI DIEU LE VEUT!

August 10th, 1985

CNE Coliseum, Toronto, ON

Night 1 of Tripleheader

D'Artagnan the Clown was on-hand and was giving balloons to kids. At one point, he grabbed a balloon and instead of giving it to a kid, he popped it in his face and left!

-Ole Anderson beat Steve Strong in 12:43

-Alexis Smirnoff beat Dino Bravo in 9:22

NWA Canadian International TV Championship: Gino Brito beat Jacques Rougeau in 14:09 to retain. The Sensationals, Billy Robinson & Rip Oliver, tried to get involved but were both chased off by Gino Brito & Jacques Rougeau!

I enjoyed your shows but they really make me think. Either we have Lutte breaking Kayfabe with the Midnight Rockers or their is some funny business going on here with the WWF. Either way it has me hooked. The Rockers are basically portraying the NWA's biggest enemy, the WWF, as the Golden Kingdom on TV. Either Michaels went rogue on TV and brole kayfabe or Lutte is giving the WWF attention because they are in cohoots with VInce.

It could be like Memphis back in the 80's playing both sides of the fence with the AWA and NWA or Lutte could really be battleground central!!!

So looking forward to this!!

August 11th, 1985

Night 2 of Tripleheader

Once again, D'Artagnan the Clown was in attendance, up to no good. Instead of spreading joy, he rather infuriated some fans as he stole an ice cream cone from a young girl and splatted it on her father's forehead!

Lumberjack Match: The Midnight Rockers beat The Sensationals (Bob Orton & Billy Robinson, w/Sherri Martel)

Spinning Toe Hold vs Boston Crab: Dory Funk Jr defeated Rick Martel in 14:47 in a match where the only way the match would end was if it ended with the spinning toe hold or the boston crab. Martel seemed to have tweaked his knee during the match, which benefitted Funk in the end, allowing him to finish Martel with the spinning toe hold. Martel himself didn't tap out but it rather was the referee Adrien Desbois who made a judgment call on this one.

-"Mr. Electricity" Steve Regal beat Scott Irwin in 8:08

NWA Mid-Atlantic Heavyweight Championship: "The Duke of Dorchester" Pete Doherty beat Strong Machine 2 in 10:44 to retain

-Dino Bravo beat Hector Guerrero in 10:25

-Frenchy's Legion (w/Frenchy Martin) beat The Creatchman Family (The Great Samu & Prince Alofa Fatu, w/Eddy "The Brain" Creatchman). Creatchman sent in at one point the NWA World Tag Team Champions Lord Humongous & Botswana Beast after Mad Dog Lefebvre & Richard Charland but they were intercepted by the Rougeau Brothers!

NWA Canadian International Heavyweight Championship: Andre the Giant beat Bob Backlund in 11:11 to retain. As promised, after the match, Andre took the mic and relinquished the NWA Canadian International Heavyweight Championship. He handed over the belt to promoter Frank Valois and he hugged Bob Backlund before leaving the CNE Coliseum under a raucous round of applause from the fans in attendance.

August 16th, 1985

Night 3 of Tripleheader

-The Spoiler beat Strong Machine 3 in 10:19

-"Mr. Electricity" Steve Regal beat Strong Machine 2 in 11:58

-Bob Backlund & Mando Guerrero beat Bolshevik Revolution (Zhukov/Von Raschke) in 18:48. Backlund replaced Chavo Guerrero, who was attacked by Alexis Smirnoff as he made his way to the ring. Backlund ran in to chase off Smirnoff and offered to Mando to take Chavo's place.

-Prince Alofa Fatu (w/Eddy "The Brain" Creatchman) beat Hector Guerrero in 12:55

-The Midnight Rockers beat Quebec Heavyweight Champion Armand Rougeau & Raymond Rougeau in 8:10

-NWA World Tag Team Champion Botswana Beast (w/Eddy "The Brain" Creatchman) beat Jacques Rougeau in 15:42. Postmatch, Beast hit multiple splashes on Rougeau before being stopped by officials...

NWA World Heavyweight Championship: Ric Flair (w/ JJ Dillon) beat Rick Martel in 26:42. While Flair distracted referee Adrien Desbois in the ring, JJ Dillon chopblocked Martel on his bad knee and removed his shoe to hit him. However, Mad Dog Lefebvre & Richard Charland ran in to attack Dillon, who still had time to toss his shoe to Flair in the ring while the referee was trying to throw Lefebvre & Charland out. That gave Flair enough time to strike Martel with the shoe and pin him to retain his championship.

Now this card could protect the NWA's interest in Toronto. Seeing Flair and Martel would sell out any arena you have!

I like when we take some of the not so big stars like the Botswana Beast and give them a nice run.

Question for you.... Would Martel be as big in Toronto as he would have been in Montreal. Montreal was starting to think about separating from the rest of Canada during this era. I remember going to Montreal in 89 and they just were brutal on the Americans and the English speaking people.

At that time, to be honest, I don't know because Lutte Internationale weren't running shows in Ontario yet. (I believe they did so towards the tail end of their existence in 1987). But because Martel was on the Big Time Wrestling roster when I moved the territory to Montreal from Detroit - and under the assumption that some Canadians crossed the border to attend the Big Time shows at that time - I thought it would make sense for him to be as over as he would be in Montreal in the Toronto area.

NWA Lutte Internationale Presents

HEATWAVE/VAGUE DE CHALEUR

Centre Paul-Sauvé, Montréal, QC

August 17th, 1985

Before the show officially kicks off, promoter Frank Valois and Bruno Sammartino officially presents the new NWA Canadian International Heavyweight Championship belt that will be given to the winner of the tournament tonight. Bruno also has with him a set of Interim Canadian International Tag Titles, slightly different from the official ones that will be given to the winners of tonight's tag title bout. The winners will face the Midnight Rockers in Stoney Point, ON tomorrow night.

NWA Canadian International Heavyweight Championship First Round Match: Boris Zhukov (w/Alexis Smirnoff) defeated "Mr. Electricity" Steve Regal in 7:45 after a distraction from Smirnoff. Zhukov moves on to the semi-finals

NWA Canadian International Heavyweight Championship First Round Match: NWA World Tag Team Champion Lord Humongous (w/Eddy "The Brain" Creatchman) beat Ivan Putski in 6:08. Lord Humongous moves on to the semi-finals

NWA Canadian International Heavyweight Championship First Round Match: Jacques Rougeau beat Larry Zbyszko in 12:40 with a sunset flip. Jacques Rougeau moves on to the semi-finals.

NWA Canadian International Heavyweight Championship First Round Match: Marty Jannetty beat Billy Robinson (w/Sherri Martel) in 13:47 with a top rope crossbody block. Marty Jannetty moves on to the semi-finals.

Submission Match: Mando Guerrero beat Gilles "The Fish" Poisson in 15:17 with the Gory Special.

Interim Canadian International Tag Team Championship: The Vachons beat Frenchy's Legion (w/Frenchy Martin) in 14:36 to win the Interim titles. The Vachons will face The Midnight Rockers tomorrow night for the official titles.

NWA Canadian International Heavyweight Championship Semi-Finals: Jacques Rougeau beat Boris Zhukov after a miscue from Alexis Smirnoff, followed by a school boy. Jacques Rougeau moves on to the finals.

NWA Canadian International Heavyweight Championship Semi-Finals: NWA World Tag Team Champion Lord Humongous (w/Eddy "The Brain" Creatchman) beat Marty Jannetty after using Eddy Creatchman's cane on Jannetty. Lord Humongous moves on to the finals.

NWA Canadian International TV Championship: Super Strong Machine beat Gino Brito in 8:04 with the Machine DDT to win the title - TITLE CHANGE!!!

-Up next, a special appearance from NWA World Heavyweight Champion Ric Flair and his manager, JJ Dillon. Flair taunts the crowd by saying that if they want to see what a real World Champion looks like, they are seeing one right there. Flair says that he proved last night without a shadow of a doubt that Rick Martel was not in his league and he dissipated any doubt following the Great American Bash Tour that Martel could beat him for the title. And if Martel still feels like he's gonna beat him again, he's gonna prove him wrong....again. That brought out Rick Martel but he didn't came alone as Mad Dog Lefebvre & Richard Charland joined him. Rick Martel tells The Nature Boy that he isn't one to make any excuses but he won last night because of the involvement of JJ Dillon in the match. Martel says that he wants a rematch tonight and he brought along members of L'Alliance Québécoise to ensure that JJ Dillon doesn't get involved tonight. Ric Flair answers that first of all, he's not dressed to wrestle tonight. Second of all, he knows that Martel isn't 100% and both of them know that the result would be the same than last night since his knee definitely isn't better than it was last night. And 3rd, Ric Flair wisely suggests to Rick Martel to better choose his friends....upon which, Mad Dog Lefebvre chop blocks Rick Martel!!! CHARLAND & LEFEBVRE HAVE BETRAYED MARTEL!!! The crowd is irate as Flair, Charland & Martel put the boots on Martel's knee! As Lefebvre & Charland restrain Martel on the mat, Ric Flair locks in the Figure Four on Martel, who's screaming in pain. Flair taunts Martel even more until a slew of wrestlers run in to stop the carnage. People check on Martel while Ric Flair shakes hands with both Mad Dog Lefebvre & Richard Charland! It looks like Flair & Frenchy's Legion had planned it all along!

NWA Canadian International Heavyweight Championship Finals: Jacques Rougeau beat NWA World Tag Team Champion Lord Humongous (w/Eddy "The Brain" Creatchman) with a flying dropkick to win the title! The crowd erupts as Montreal's favorite son is handed the NWA Canadian International Heavyweight Championship. His brothers Raymond & Armand join in the celebration to close the show as Jacques also is congratulated by Frank Valois and Bruno Sammartino for his title victory.

http://challonge.com/l28rxy0o