Pro Wrestling Only

Entrance Music

flyonthewall2983

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some of the earliest entrance themes to be used are still the greatest. Anytime the Freebirds come out to Skynyrd on WTBS gets an instant pop from me. Ditto Queen and the Junkyard Dog around the same time.

Lawler's entrance when he returns at the end of 1980 and comes up through the stage to Strauss followed by the Star Wars theme is maybe my favorite entrance ever? Lawler also used the Rocky theme which was fantastic.

One that I cannot stand is Dr. Death coming out to Born in the USA, which is a lame song (not to mention it's complete satire).

Road Warriors + Iron Man was a perfect fit.

ECW had so many perfect fits as well. Although I have to say, the fact that the music was always so good really emphasized how great of an entrance the Dudleys had WITHOUT any music. Similar effect in the 80's when Andre never used music. The stir of the crowd was enough atmosphere.

I...can't take any of the songs created by the WWE or WCW seriously tbh.

The broken glass sound and the original music was absolutely perfect for Austin. I do not know how they got the idea to use that sound for him, but it was a perfect match. It just seemed right.

Pomp and Circumstance was also great, and an excellent fit for Savage. Props to WCW for getting Voodoo Child rights as well, although the Hendrix estate revoked the rights to WWE later, if I remember correctly.

I find myself listening to these a lot while I drive: Terry Funk's AJPW theme, Shane's Here Comes The Money, Eddie Guerrero's Viva La Raza, Cesaro's Miracle, Nakamura's Subconscious and Mark Henry's Somebody. Myzteziz's original Ameno is dope af, too.

As far as terrible music goes:

Gronda 2's 6th Gate/Dance With The Devil (terrible wrestler, terrible theme song)

Big Mami's Kulikitaka

Cesaro's Swiss Made (his current theme) - I'm still struggling to understand how this was greenlit

The broken glass sound and the original music was absolutely perfect for Austin. I do not know how they got the idea to use that sound for him, but it was a perfect match. It just seemed right.

Austin went into detail on one of his podcasts that he did with Jim Johnston (it's worth a listen for his reasoning behind many of his themes).

Basically, this all started when Austin approached Johnston with a copy of Bulls on Parade by Rage Against The Machine as a template for his new theme song. It took Johnston eight hours to finalise what we know today, and those glass shatters were only added in at the end of production. Johnston basically wanted a noise that captured an "oh shit!" from the crowd and thought glass shattering evoked that sense of something bad happening. It's actually an amalgam of three different noises: glass shattering, a car crash and an explosion. You can't really hear the other two noises due to the higher frequency of the glass shattering.

Austin went into detail on one of his podcasts that he did with Jim Johnston (it's worth a listen for his reasoning behind many of his themes).

Basically, this all started when Austin approached Johnston with a copy of Bulls on Parade by Rage Against The Machine as a template for his new theme song. It took Johnston eight hours to finalise what we know today, and those glass shatters were only added in at the end of production. Johnston basically wanted a noise that captured an "oh shit!" from the crowd and thought glass shattering evoked that sense of something bad happening. It's actually an amalgam of three different noises: glass shattering, a car crash and an explosion. You can't really hear the other two noises due to the higher frequency of the glass shattering.

This is all incredibly interesting but now I'll never be able to shake the awesomeness that could have been Austin coming out to Rage every Monday.

Beautiful People was also a really good fit for the RAW intro.

Andre's Japan theme (which the Machines used in the WWF I think) was great since it was like the theme to a lost Godzilla movie.

Pomp and Circumstance for Savage is 1a-1b for me with Badstreet USA in terms of perfect wrestler/music synergy. To this day when I go to a graduation ceremony I fight the urge to break into the Macho Man voice.

Can't deny that Real American might be the best in house theme ever created, I can't imagine an alternate universe where it was the theme of the US Express as intended. I wasn't really ever a little Hulkamaniac but it's hard to not get pumped when you hear that theme play.

Also can't forget Spartan X. I remember my first exposure to Japanese wrestling watching AJPW in the mid 90s hearing the crowd clapping along chanting MI-SA-WA and thinking "holy shit, this guy must be a big deal".

It's funny that a car crash is mentioned, as Austin's theme is nearly identical to Razor Ramon's theme. Same tempo, same beat, starts with squealing tires instead of breaking glass.

The worst of those WCW-produced songs was the one for Ricky Steamboat and Shane Douglas. Thankfully that team didn't last too long and Steamboat went back to that nice instrumental piece.

But the one I like the most was Cactus Jack's theme.

"Simply Ravishing" was my personal fav:

I'm a huge fan of the cover of Wild Thing that Onita comes out to

Oh yeah. X ! Gotta love that Onita would pick a Los Angeles cult punk band version of a classic rock song as his theme song.

I always had a thing for really creepy stuff, and Jim Johnston did quite a few of these in the 90's. The Mankind dual themes was brillant (it seems like this period, which is really the highlight of Foley's work in WWF to me has been forgotten a bit because it came just before the Attitude Era) of course. Also loved Doink (the schyzo one, not the fucking circus) and Waylon Mercy, which was wonderful and minimalistic and really fucking shilling. Brian Pillman's theme was also quite the piece of work, dissonant and droning in parts, with the eerie piano melody in the middle.

The 00's really signified the end of cool music themes in general, with a shitloads of generic neo-metal (way after the fact) shit during the decade.

Some ones that haven't been mentioned-

Nakamura's current entrance

Mistico "Ameno" - the tune went with the gimick and "Me Muero" - the lyirics about a hero saving the day with the Spanish guitar solo, is there a more perfect entrance for a white meat babyface

Terry Funk- The Eagles' "Desperado" couldn't be more perfect for a guy 20 years removed from his world title reign and 10 years removed from his first retirement

RVD- Pantera "Walk" a song about beating the shit out of somebody that was a sing along just seemed to go with a guy who was being pushed to the moon

Taz- Kiss "War Machine" Same as as RVD

Minoru Suzuki - "Kaze Ni Nare"

Bryan Danielson- "The Final Countdown" a sing a long off the Rocky sound track, just so perfect for a the top babyface in that atmosphere

Matt Riddle - Remix of Warren G's Regulate goes fits a guy who is a legit badass and is a stoner

I'll stick to wrestling original themes, or at least songs not known otherwise. Good taste in music - not likely.

Corporate Ministry

Demolition

3 Count (Threeeee!)

Goldberg WCW

Rap is Crap

Jive Soul Bro

Lex Luger - Slammer

NWO Wolfpac

Ultimate Warrior - Unstable

Simply Ravishing

Chuck Palumbo & Sean O'Haire

Lord Steven Regal