Pro Wrestling Only

Entrance Music

flyonthewall2983

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 5 years later...

I'm loving Mil Mascaras' use of Sky High by Jigsaw at the minute. It's really one that burrows into your head and you can't shake off. Quintessential 70s theme!

Also Mighty Inoue & Animal Hamaguchi came out to a fun one in late 1980 IWE but I couldn't track down the song. The edit cuts it off before any lyrics and it sounds like it might have been dubbed onto the recording as well. Anybody know what it might have been?

On 4/23/2023 at 8:10 AM, Embrodak said:

Conversely, I strongly dislike “Carry On My Wayward Son” for The Elite. It has nothing to do with them!

It absolutely fit them coming back from Brawl Out, but it's diminishing returns each time. 

I'm not saying there haven't been great in house produced themes, but for my money nothing hits like someone using real music to get the crowd amped. 

2 hours ago, sek69 said:

It absolutely fit them coming back from Brawl Out, but it's diminishing returns each time. 

I'm not saying there haven't been great in house produced themes, but for my money nothing hits like someone using real music to get the crowd amped. 

I used to really like that song. They’ve kind of ruined it for me.

50 minutes ago, Tenese Sarwieh said:

Akira Hokuto using Oro Del Ley from Luis Miguel would be a weird choice, but it added so much to her character. 

Agree, Akira Hokuto is one of my favourite wrestlers ever and that always seemed strange for her but I ended up loving it.

Oro de ley might be my favorite but the music of her two rivals, Kong and especially Nakano, don't fall far behind. 

As for WWE, my favorite and pick for the most underrated theme ever is the Reggaetón mix for Booyaka that Rey used in 2006.  I'm Puerto Rican (I'm going to Backlash and if any match tears the house down I'll give my thoughts) and a reggaetón fan and it's not just a great theme, it's also a fantastic reggaetón song and one of the few times english lyrics work over a dembow.  I think Rey has a verse in it (I can't differentiate between voices) and it fucks (cause they all fuck, the Space Invaders line fucks, sue me).  It was inspired by the most popular reggaeton producers at the time, Luny Tunes so it sounds really 2006 but reggaeton killed in 2006.  In comparison to the more famous, blander mix by POD, Rey looked more at home with this theme.  

10 hours ago, Perfectly Straightedge said:

Ehhh, I will never let a wrestler make me not enjoy a song. I remember that song from the old guitar hero days. So just cause The Bucks used it means absolutely nothing to me. 

And this is why I don't like the song. It was one of the earlier songs in the game so as you were learning the gameplay mechanics, upping the difficulty or playing with other newer players, you had to listen to this song a lot and for me it wore out its welcome fast. But Free bird was probably the best final boss song they could have chosen - and another great entrance theme, if nobody has mentioned it already.

On 8/8/2017 at 6:02 PM, Ricky Jackson said:

Hogan coming out to Eye of the Tiger is always awesome

Watched the original PRISM broadcast of his first match with Randy Savage, which might have been one of his last big matches before switching to the Wrestling Album theme.

Such a perfect song for that character in that time, in New York City.

I personally like “Voodoo Chile” best for Hogan. There’s something about themes where the tempo and timbre of the beat unintentionally matches the wrestler’s walking tempo and bearing perfectly, and that theme for Hogan was one of the best for that, at least in my memory. Plus the lyrics, very fitting for Hogan’s character in the later stages of his career. (Rusev’s theme was another one like that.)

Also, Bray Wyatt blows chunks in the clear light of history, but his initial theme music was absolutely perfect.

On 4/26/2023 at 2:41 PM, Embrodak said:

I personally like “Voodoo Chile” best for Hogan. There’s something about themes where the tempo and timbre of the beat unintentionally matches the wrestler’s walking tempo and bearing perfectly, and that theme for Hogan was one of the best for that, at least in my memory. Plus the lyrics, very fitting for Hogan’s character in the later stages of his career. (Rusev’s theme was another one like that.

That theme elevated his main event aura and being the leader of the NWO. Him exiting the limos backstage following him to the buildings while Jimi Hendrix played was special. 

On 4/22/2023 at 5:04 AM, SAMS said:

Also Mighty Inoue & Animal Hamaguchi came out to a fun one in late 1980 IWE but I couldn't track down the song. The edit cuts it off before any lyrics and it sounds like it might have been dubbed onto the recording as well. Anybody know what it might have been?

It's "Zero To Sixty In Five" by Pablo Cruise. At least that's what they actually came out to, couldn't tell you what they dubbed over on the DVD releases.

On 4/24/2023 at 10:05 PM, ChrisDrakkar said:

Oro de ley might be my favorite but the music of her two rivals, Kong and especially Nakano, don't fall far behind. 

As for WWE, my favorite and pick for the most underrated theme ever is the Reggaetón mix for Booyaka that Rey used in 2006.  I'm Puerto Rican (I'm going to Backlash and if any match tears the house down I'll give my thoughts) and a reggaetón fan and it's not just a great theme, it's also a fantastic reggaetón song and one of the few times english lyrics work over a dembow.  I think Rey has a verse in it (I can't differentiate between voices) and it fucks (cause they all fuck, the Space Invaders line fucks, sue me).  It was inspired by the most popular reggaeton producers at the time, Luny Tunes so it sounds really 2006 but reggaeton killed in 2006.  In comparison to the more famous, blander mix by POD, Rey looked more at home with this theme.  

This is the level of insight that keeps me coming back to PWO. Thank you for this knowledge drop and your unbridled enthusiasm. I will be looking that version up immediately.

On 4/22/2023 at 5:04 AM, SAMS said:

I'm loving Mil Mascaras' use of Sky High by Jigsaw at the minute. It's really one that burrows into your head and you can't shake off. Quintessential 70s theme!

What makes a lot of early puroresu entrance music so novel is that it was often material that 70s television networks were licensing to use anyway, not just for wrestling. Specific commissions were rare; off the top of my head, Inoki, Sakaguchi, Fujinami, the Funks, and Ashura Hara were the only ones in the 70s. (And I'm not 100% sure about the Funks! That could be a Sunrise situation, where the song already existed.)

"Sky High" had a string arrangement by Richard Hewson. Billy Robinson's "Blue Eyed Soul" was a Hewson arrangement. Dick Murdoch's AJPW theme, "Love Bite", was directly credited to The Richard Hewson Orchestra. Later on, you have smooth jazz fusion saxophonist Tom Scott providing music for the British Bulldogs as well as Akio Sato & Takashi Ishikawa's tag team.

Meanwhile, you had NJPW's love of disco-era Maynard Ferguson. Hogan came out to his "Battlestar Galactica", Masked Superstar had "The Fly" from Conquistador, and Ryuma Go used his cover of EW&F's "Fantasy" on at least one occasion. (Not wrestling, but Nippon TV used Ferguson's Star Trek theme cover for one of their most famous game shows, Trans America Ultra Quiz. See what I mean about production music?)

Unrelated, but I want to buy a drink for whoever on TV Asahi's production staff decided to license the Waterboys for Billy Jack Haynes in 1985.

5 hours ago, Clayton Jones said:

This is the level of insight that keeps me coming back to PWO. Thank you for this knowledge drop and your unbridled enthusiasm. I will be looking that version up immediately.

I'm gonna be honest, I don't really know if you're being sarcastic here lol.

4 hours ago, KinchStalker said:

What makes a lot of early puroresu entrance music so novel is that it was often material that 70s television networks were licensing to use anyway, not just for wrestling. Specific commissions were rare; off the top of my head, Inoki, Sakaguchi, Fujinami, the Funks, and Ashura Hara were the only ones in the 70s. (And I'm not 100% sure about the Funks! That could be a Sunrise situation, where the song already existed.)

Quick shout out here to Jumbo singing a verse in a rare version of his theme "Rolling Dreamer."