Pro Wrestling Only

14 - 21 August 2017 WWE TV

FMKK

I know the issues with the "Broken" trademark created problems, but it still seems crazy how much WWE has cooled the Hardys off.

Well, I'm sure that Scott Dawson getting injured a few weeks ago didn't help, considering that The Revival were scheduled to wrestle the Hardys at Summerslam.

WWE has signed Shelton Benjamin

Isn't this the third or fourth time this has been rumored or reported since his aborted comeback last summer? I'm getting to the point where I'll believe it when I see it. If it does happen, I hope for his sake it works out more like a Jinder Mahal comeback, rather than a Curt Hawkins.

I know the issues with the "Broken" trademark created problems, but it still seems crazy how much WWE has cooled the Hardys off.

Well, I'm sure that Scott Dawson getting injured a few weeks ago didn't help, considering that The Revival were scheduled to wrestle the Hardys at Summerslam.

I agree. They came out of the series of matches with Cesaro and Sheamus okay, and were heading into the angle with The Revival which I thought had some promise, when Dawson got injured. That looks to have left their plans for the Hardys up in the air, and in the meantime I guess this deal with Miz, Axel and Dallas is their stop-gap solution.

The Swagger cash in basically killed the WHC as anything resembling an important belt. Not entirely Swagger's fault, just a lot of things going wrong all at once.

It didn't help that they immediately changed him into a suit and made him serious, totally changed up his character, like he was cosplaying Jericho's 08 heel run. It sucked. And I liked Swagger

SummerSlam should be fun?! With WWE already 100% committed to doing a 4th year in a row--it would be interesting to see the company's response to any potential backlash.

http://gothamist.com/2017/08/18/trump_superkick_party.php

Per Article:

This year's SummerSlam at the Barclays Center promises plenty of action in the ring, with matches like a fatal fourway for the WWE Universal title to a Kevin Owens/A.J. Styles brawl for the U.S. Title. But there's also going to be some action outside the ring, as a group of WWE fans are planning a weekend of rallies calling on the WWE to remove Donald Trump from the wrestling promotion's Hall of Fame.

In the wake of Donald Trump's press conference this week in which he equivocated white supremacists and counter-protesters in Charlottesville, Virginia, a group of fed-up wrestling fans will be rallying on Friday at 5 p.m. outside the Barclays Center. The group will be calling on the company to reject racism by tossing Trump from an honored spot with the company.

While this isn't the first attempt to get the WWE to disassociate itself from Trump, John Stevens, a 30-year-old Brooklyn resident, told Gothamist that he and a group of friends who are in town for the summer extravaganza decided that they'd had enough of Trump's association with the wrestling promotion and decided to shout it in the streets.

"We were talking about how Trump gave that crazy press conference, and then thought about how he's in the WWE Hall of Fame even though Hulk Hogan got kicked out over racism," Stevens told us. "What Trump has done is remarkably worse than what Hogan did, since he's dividing the country by siding with neo-Nazis and white nationalists."

While Hogan was never officially "kicked out" out of the WWE Hall of Fame, references to his career with the company and his page on the hall's website were both quietly scrubbed after racist comments he made about his daughter dating a black man were publicized.
"I was sickened by that press conference, and his response to Charlottesville," Stevens said. "Basically WWE is endorsing those comments by having [Trump] in their hall of fame. I can't wrap my brain around the fact that they'd leave him in there, take Hogan out and claim they say they care about racism."
Stevens said that the protest came together on an email chain that he and some fellow wrestling fans have. With everyone in town for SummerSlam weekend, the group decided to take action. In addition to setting up a website, Stevens said that some of his friends went to an autograph signing held by current WWE champion Jinder Mahal on Thursday night to hand out flyers about the protest.
The autograph signing was an apt place to go to spread the word about the rally, since Mahal, the company's first Indian world champion, plays the outdated trope of the villainous minority foreigner.

Trump's place in the WWE Hall of Fame, cemented by the fact that he took one of the worst Stunners in the history of wrestling and allegedly once believed that Vince McMahon was literally murdered on air, is somewhat awkward at the moment. In addition to the company regularly publicizing its anti-bullying efforts, longtime face of the company John Cena starred in a PSA extolling the nature of America's diversity:

Despite these efforts though, Linda McMahon, the former WWE CEO and wife of majority owner Vince McMahon, serves in President Trump's Cabinet as the Administrator of the Small Business Administration. Stevens said even with that relationship in mind, the WWE needs to make a choice.
"It's kind of a gut-check moment for the WWE. If they want to put their fans in this position, especially minority fans, and insult them to their faces by supporting someone who supports white nationalists, they can do that. But the backlash, I think, will be severe."

Stephen Miller, a 31-year-old Brooklyn resident and fellow self-described "wrestling nerd" involved with the protest, told us that this is an important moment for the company.

"They have two options; leave someone who defends neo-Nazis and white supremacists in the Hall of Fame and accept that their fans will look at them as hypocrites the next time they take a stand about racism, homophobia or other forms of prejudice, or have a spine and stand up to racism. If they choose to leave him in the HOF I will question whether or not I'll continue to watch their product."

The website announcing the rally makes reference to the WWE's history of racism both on-screen and off, and while it otherwise focuses on the removal of Trump, Stevens told us Trump is hardly the only issue the company has to deal with.
"Now more than ever the evil foreigner thing, it's the last thing we need in the country," Stevens said. "People are eventually going to be sick that the company is associating with this kind of racism," he predicted.

Miller also said that it's time for the company to pivot away from racism. "I hope WWE will get their head out of the dark ages and into 2010s," Miller said.
While both men predicted that today's rain forecast would drive down the turnout, Stevens said that rallies outside the Barclays Center are also planned before the NXT: Takeover and SummerSlam shows on Saturday and Sunday. And while Stevens is aware that the company could ignore the group outside the arena, it might not be so simple in the actual Barclays Center.

"We might protest during the shows, we've got prime seats," he told us. "Where our seats are, you'd definitely see it, you'd hear the chants. WWE could take care of this problem now, or they could have it come up during one of their biggest pay-per-views of the year and have it be on the WWE Network forever."

As of press time, a WWE spokesperson did not return a request for comment.Removing Trump from the hall of fame "would be the ultimate act of being a star, if you will" Stevens said, referencing the company's anti-bullying efforts, "and standing up to bullying and racism."

Oh, please. The WWE HOF is a marketing gimmick and payoff for legend types, not a real Hall of Fame. There are real issues regarding race in pro wrestling, particularly WWE, that are worth discussion and criticism. Why waste time on this?

Agreed which is why I REALLY hope this doesn't go down. I won't go on rant here about it, but in short--people need to stop mudding the pool...BACK TO SUMMERSLAM~!

This card is stacked and not in a good way. WWE always manages to pull all the worse elements of WM and put them into SS in order to say its a 'big show'. The Universal Title is the only match that has my interest. The card is going to be a chore to get through.

Nevermind, I just checked the card. Yeah. I have zero interest in about 70% of this shit. Only thing I want to see is Nak vs That Indian Guy, just to see if they actually job Nak (which would be kinda hilarious in an ironic way), Alexa Bliss vs Sasha Banks (although I guess they won't get much time) and the main event which could be really fucking good if the four hosses just beat the piss out of each other and it's not all gimmicky and contrived and overbooked.

The rest. Major yawn. Yeah, that tag match maybe.

I was planning on watching it live like Rumble and Mania, but this card is way too fucking weak. Not staying up the whole night to see Bray Wyatt and his video projections of worms vs the Kiss Demon and yet another boring Orton match no one cares about and Baron Corbin vs John Cena (yeah, it can be allright thanks to Cena, who cares) and Big Show in 2017 and shit.

As far as the Trump shit goes, well, I guess they could bring out the Harris Boys and have them squashed by the New Day to make amend of sorts.

I've gotta be honest, but Jinder is growing on me. The look and presentation is great, and he's getting better in the ring thanks to having the opportunity to work with great seasoned vets every night in longer matches. I really think he can keep growing and improving, and I'm actually really looking forward to him and Nak

Same as everyone, I hated the way he went from off of tv, jobber for years to World Champion overnight, but what's done is done, and I think it's starting to work