Photo

Summerslam 2017, or How to get through a 6 hour show with a little help from your friends at PWO

• Please log in to reply
340 replies to this topic

#1 Ricky Jackson

Ricky Jackson

The Only 5 Time Champion

• Members
  • 2726 posts
  • Interests:Wrestling, music, comics, beer, movies, history, sports...good manly stuff.

Posted 20 August 2017 - 02:30 PM

Here we are in 2017, where the major WWE shows are more bloated than a mid-70s Yes album. Last night's Takeover was the punk rock alternative, five matches in less than 2 1/2 hours. That's a sensible length. To say the least, I haven't been a fan of the super long shows of the last few years. Looking at the card, a few matches should be very good, and the main should be great. But is the damage to the soul worth it to get there?

Anyway, I'm watching with a buddy and have plenty of beer in the fridge, with a back up plan of watching old school wrestling on youtube if we lose interest. I'll be tuning in for the main and Jinder vs Nak at the very least

#2 JHawk

JHawk
  • Members
  • 916 posts

Posted 20 August 2017 - 03:19 PM

I could live with four hours if the matches are good enough.  With the preshow, everything feels bloated and watered down.

Of course, the only match that I feel is a must watch is the Universal Title four way, which of course will be last.

#3 El-P

El-P
  • Members
  • 8720 posts

Posted 20 August 2017 - 03:22 PM

I'd rather listen to Tales From Topographic Oceans on loop than watch this stuff live. Cherry picking tomorrow morning or something.

Enjoy yourselves though. And, well, bon courage.

#4 CapitalTTruth

CapitalTTruth
  • Members
  • 770 posts

Posted 20 August 2017 - 03:24 PM

Solid plan.

I would normally bribe my wife to sit with me through this with takeout and beer/wine, but we are both getting over a nasty virus and I am in the middle of antibiotic cycle... so we may have to tune out early.  This is one of the shows I like to sit through, if for no other reason is the big summer touchstone that they will try to pay some stuff off and set the tone for stuff to come.

9PM will be the big checkpoint for us. If they aren't keeping our attention we will move over to game of thrones and probably not return tonight. 

#5 C.S.

C.S.
  • Members
  • 1767 posts

Posted 20 August 2017 - 03:30 PM

It's ridiculous that this is a 5+ hour show, but the Intercontinental Title isn't being defended - instead, we're getting a useless Miztourage vs. Hardys/Jason Jordan match on the pre-show.

Also, I'm surprised WWE didn't make more of a big deal out of the "30-year anniversary" (even though that's technically next year) with this being the 30th annual SummerSlam. What an underwhelming lineup for the big 30th show.

BTW, have the Hardys been wearing different colors for a while and I just haven't noticed, or is this the first time?

#6 ...TG

...TG
  • Members
  • 731 posts

Posted 20 August 2017 - 03:38 PM

Hilarious that they're starting this show with the building like 1/10th full. They're understandably not using the wide hard-cam shot for this match. 

#7 ...TG

...TG
  • Members
  • 731 posts

Posted 20 August 2017 - 03:38 PM

And woah, they jobbed out Jordan to Miz clean as a sheet. 

#8 C.S.

C.S.
  • Members
  • 1767 posts

Posted 20 August 2017 - 03:40 PM

Jordan has been a massive flop thus far.

#9 hammerva

hammerva
  • Members
  • 1685 posts

Posted 20 August 2017 - 03:48 PM

Not sure who got fucked more in that match.  Jordan getting pinned clean or the Miz as a champion in the Ryback/Kalisto spot of the show after complaining about being on the pre show to begin with

I would like to think they have realized that Chad Gable was not only the better wrestler but better personality but I am not hopeful on him either

#10 JHawk

JHawk
  • Members
  • 916 posts

Posted 20 August 2017 - 03:49 PM

For what it's worth, Ticketmaster had the show listed as starting at 6:30.  So literally, they threw the first match out there 65 MINUTES before casual ticket holders think the show starts.

#11 cowboy hats

cowboy hats
  • Members
  • 392 posts

Posted 20 August 2017 - 03:56 PM

The time is coming soon where they will have a commercial break during a ppv match, yes (not just the pre-show)?

#12 C.S.

C.S.
  • Members
  • 1767 posts

Posted 20 August 2017 - 03:57 PM

The time is coming soon where they will have a commercial break during a ppv match, yes (not just the pre-show)?

Considering how long and laborious some of these shows are to get through, that may not be such a bad thing after all.

#13 The Thread Killer

The Thread Killer

The Canadian Wildman

• Members
  • 992 posts

Posted 20 August 2017 - 03:59 PM

Yeah, that was sad.  It looked like a poorly attended indie show.  If you have a two hour pre-show, you probably shouldn't throw one of the pre-show matches out there in the first hour.  Sad to see the Hardys and the Intercontinental Champion reduced to that.  It's a four hour damn show, you'd have thought they could have found some room for them somewhere.

HEY...with The Revival being on the shelf again, should we expect to see The Authors of Pain called up soon to take their place in a feud with the Hardys?  (Who have been awoken, apparently.)

#14 The Thread Killer

The Thread Killer

The Canadian Wildman

• Members
  • 992 posts

Posted 20 August 2017 - 04:03 PM

You can tell that the commentary on the pre-show isn't being heavily produced.  It's noticeably different.

#15 C.S.

C.S.
  • Members
  • 1767 posts

Posted 20 August 2017 - 04:05 PM

Why bother with a six-day Lex Luger reign? WHY?

#16 hammerva

hammerva
  • Members
  • 1685 posts

Posted 20 August 2017 - 04:14 PM

Especially with how awesome Neville was last night being completely miserable.  You could have gone more weeks doing that 

#17 The Thread Killer

The Thread Killer

The Canadian Wildman

• Members
  • 992 posts

Posted 20 August 2017 - 04:16 PM

I respectfully disagree.  I love Neville with that title.  He carries the entire division on his back, I don't think Tozawa can do that.  Especially with this deal with Titus as his manager, to me that just comes across as odd.

They do need to get some new blood up from NXT to challenge Neville, though.

Also, how do the Hardys and Miz feel knowing they went on before the Cruiserweights? Not a sign your career is on the proper trajectory.

#18 C.S.

C.S.
  • Members
  • 1767 posts

Posted 20 August 2017 - 04:19 PM

Then why change the title in the first place, Thread?

#19 ...TG

...TG
  • Members
  • 731 posts

Posted 20 August 2017 - 04:21 PM

Also, how do the Hardys and Miz feel knowing they went on before the Cruiserweights? Not a sign your career is on the proper trajectory.

The only person it looks bad on is Jordan. Hardys are permanently over and Miz just needs one good segment on Raw to get himself back.

#20 The Thread Killer

The Thread Killer

The Canadian Wildman

• Members
  • 992 posts

Posted 20 August 2017 - 04:23 PM

Then why change the title in the first place, Thread?

I don't disagree with you there, sir.  The whole angle seemed poorly thought out, in my opinion. I was against them ending Neville's reign since (to me) the way he held that title made it seem like something. Now the continuity of the length of his uninterrupted reign is gone. I was against them moving it for essentially no reason.  The last thing that division needs is for their title to become like the US title.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users