Pro Wrestling Only

Mayweather vs McGregor

It is pretty much the final prostitution of the sport of boxing. Like imagine if Nike paid Manchester United to start Usain Bolt up front for their next five games. It would get a load of attention but it would make football seem like a joke.

That being said, is it just me or has the hype kind of died off after the intial flurry around the press conferences? It's hard to book heel vs heel I guess.

Yeah... this has been textbook pro wrestling. As an actual sporting event, it is a joke. I am not buying it nor am I am going to a bar to watch it. It is going to be a glorified sparring match. Neither guy is going all in. Maybe Mayweather finishes him late. Regardless, it is going to be boring and go longer than it should. They will praise each other after the fight and this will lead to promotional stuff between the two and probably the UFC down the road.

I don't understand how a single person thinks McGregor can win this.

Was talking to two lads in work about this today who both think Conor will win. Arguments like McGregor is younger & bigger. He's always won when people said he wouldn't, like with the Aldo knockout. It's fucking insane.

Oh and the betting odds are preposterous, i've placed a substantial wager on Mayweather.

Build hasn't been good compared to McGregor - Diaz or Mayweather - De La Hoya 10 years ago

Professional boxers haven't been able to lay many hits on Floyd, but people expect Conor will because....reasons. I'm not claiming to be a boxing expert but I've seen exactly one fight where Floyd looked like he was in any trouble, and that ended when he ran for the remaining 5-6 rounds and gassed the guy out.

Conor always has the puncher's chance, and Floyd's not a KO guy, but if anyone thinks this is going to be a slobber knocker they're going to be sorely disappointed.

By far the best thing I've seen written on this fight is this: http://deadspin.com/floyd-mayweather-vs-conor-mcgregor-is-the-second-bigge-1797272009

Fight is a joke, no way possible Conor McGregor can win this. Article makes a good point about Floyd Mayweather Jr.'s place in boxing history, not necessarily being the best boxer of all time, but more pointing to his legacy of being the best boxing promoter/manager/match-maker of all time.

More interesting is seeing UFC break away from so many ideas they said they would never do, co-promotion, etc.

I'm going to some cumbia party late on Saturday night, so if I have some time I will probably check it out at a bar, even though I'm sure it'll be dry 119-109 win for FMJ.

UFC didn't really have a choice, the new owners bought high and need to have record breaking income every year to not lose their shirts paying off the loans they took out. The only way they're going to make that kind of money on a regular basis is to whore their top draws out like this.

Honestly, a lot of it seems to come from people wanting to see Floyd get beat up and thinking the MMA guy can do it. What's funny is that it's a no win for the UFC in the sense that when Floyd wins all the boxing people will be all "we told everyone MMA was garbage" and if Conor somehow wins they'll just claim it was rigged since a boxer couldn't really beat an MMA guy if it was legit.

That was a pretty good worked shoot. Could have been a bit stiffer for my tastes.

That was reminiscent of early Pancrase, with Mayweather carrying Conner for a few rounds to keep it entertaining for the fans.

I enjoyed it a lot more than the Pacquiao fight, anyway.

I know Mayweather is a defensive fighter and his strategy was rope-a-dope, but Mayweather could've finished him in the 4th or 5th if he wanted to. He toyed with McGregor to give the people their money's worth. I don't know if that makes it a "work," but what else do you call it when one athlete is obviously not giving his 100%?

It was obvious when we saw how little punches Floyd Mayweather Jr. was throwing in the first three rounds. He usually takes the early rounds off to get an idea of his opponent and work around what they have to offer, but Mayweather's output was even less than usual. Once he saw that Conor McGregor was getting tired, Mayweather Jr. went for the kill numerous times by rushing forward. He'd never do that against Manny Pacquiao 'cause he respects Pacquiao's skills too much. Kinda funny how for all the talk about McGregor's power, it was also obvious that Mayweather's power was far more significant in this match.

I was going to make the Pancrase comparison, since it's the best comparison point, but gordi beat me to it. Not a work, just a world class boxer fighting a guy who is a great athlete, giving him the early rounds by literally doing nothing.

McGregor looked good (outside of his cardio issues and hammerfists), Mayweather got his finish (right on time for us to watch Wagner-Clown) and his 50-0 record, UFC fans got to say their guy went 10 rounds with "The Best Ever" (he's not the best ever but whatever), and boxing fans got to point out the nuances of what was actually going on in the ring. Everyone won, especially those of us who saw the fight for free on Periscope on Twitter.

Surprised though at the amount of people calling this one of Mayweather Jr.'s better fights. It was pretty fun and had a unique novelty feel to it, but even his fights from a few years ago with Marcos Maidana and Miguel Cotto were more entertaining and fun, and obviously fought at a much higher level.