• 13 posts

Posted 27 August 2017 - 09:05 AM

You guys watch too much wrestling.

#22 DMJ

DMJ
  • Members
  • 651 posts

Posted 27 August 2017 - 10:42 AM

I know Mayweather is a defensive fighter and his strategy was rope-a-dope, but Mayweather could've finished him in the 4th or 5th if he wanted to. He toyed with McGregor to give the people their money's worth. I don't know if that makes it a "work," but what else do you call it when one athlete is obviously not giving his 100%?

#23 AA484

AA484
  • Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 27 August 2017 - 11:17 AM

Your definition of "obvious" must be a lot different from mine.

#24 Eduardo

Eduardo
  • Members
  • 693 posts

Posted 27 August 2017 - 05:17 PM

It was obvious when we saw how little punches Floyd Mayweather Jr. was throwing in the first three rounds. He usually takes the early rounds off to get an idea of his opponent and work around what they have to offer, but Mayweather's output was even less than usual. Once he saw that Conor McGregor was getting tired, Mayweather Jr. went for the kill numerous times by rushing forward. He'd never do that against Manny Pacquiao 'cause he respects Pacquiao's skills too much. Kinda funny how for all the talk about McGregor's power, it was also obvious that Mayweather's power was far more significant in this match. 

I was going to make the Pancrase comparison, since it's the best comparison point, but gordi beat me to it. Not a work, just a world class boxer fighting a guy who is a great athlete, giving him the early rounds by literally doing nothing.

McGregor looked good (outside of his cardio issues and hammerfists), Mayweather got his finish (right on time for us to watch Wagner-Clown) and his 50-0 record, UFC fans got to say their guy went 10 rounds with "The Best Ever" (he's not the best ever but whatever), and boxing fans got to point out the nuances of what was actually going on in the ring. Everyone won, especially those of us who saw the fight for free on Periscope on Twitter. 

Surprised though at the amount of people calling this one of Mayweather Jr.'s better fights. It was pretty fun and had a unique novelty feel to it, but even his fights from a few years ago with Marcos Maidana and Miguel Cotto were more entertaining and fun, and obviously fought at a much higher level. 

#25 AA484

AA484
  • Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 27 August 2017 - 07:34 PM

But doing what you described is more strategy than a work, which was how some were labeling it. Just two different ways of looking at it, I guess.

#26 Eduardo

Eduardo
  • Members
  • 693 posts

Posted 27 August 2017 - 07:47 PM

Yeah I wouldn't use the word work.

#27 PhilTLL

PhilTLL
  • Members
  • 573 posts

Posted 27 August 2017 - 08:21 PM

To paraphrase from Deadspin, if Mayweather is the promoter as well as a fighter, is setting out to make his opponent look good enough for a rematch, and can more or less write his own match script, does it matter if it's a "work" in the "fix is in" sense? Is there a big difference?

This was okay but only "good" by comparison to the Pacquiao snoozer.

#28 FMKK

FMKK
  • Members
  • 417 posts

Posted 28 August 2017 - 11:46 AM

I wasn't entirely serious when I said it was a work but it is remarkable that basically every party involved came out of this about as well as they possibly could have all things considered.

#29 sek69

sek69

Winnipeg Arena's gonna be on fire

• Members
  • 10255 posts

Posted 29 August 2017 - 09:12 PM

Floyd did the boxing equivalent of carrying someone to a good match. He could have got Conor to gas even quicker and end it, but he gave the people who spent $99.99 their money's worth and the UFC stans can brag about their boy holding his own with one of the all time greats. Once he knew Conor had nothing left he increased the pressure until the ref could stop it without having to knock him down/out. Everyone came out looking as good as they could and now Conor has a big pile of fuck you money to drive Dana crazy with. 

#30 Microstatistics

Microstatistics
  • Members
  • 647 posts

Posted 30 August 2017 - 03:25 AM

That was a pretty good worked shoot. Could have been a bit stiffer for my tastes.

That was reminiscent of early Pancrase, with Mayweather carrying Conner for a few rounds to keep it entertaining for the fans.

I enjoyed it a lot more than the Pacquiao fight, anyway.

The Pacquiao fight was pretty much the perfect illustration of why pro wrestling is infinitely better than shoots/"real" fighting. I know this is in hindsight but it was very unlikely the Pacquiao fight was going to be exciting because Pacquiao was actually a dangerous opponent. Mayweather used a very conservative/"boring" approach because it was the safest way to secure a win. Which is fine, his goal was to win not put on a great match. McGregor was not that big a threat so Mayweather took some shots early and was far more aggressive and, assuming the worked shoot theories are true, just purposely dragged it out to allow for a more exciting/"better" fight. When the finish is not really in doubt or does not matter in reality (like in a pro wrestling work), it allows the body of the match to flourish. That's probably a generalization but it's what I have noticed.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users