WWE TV 8/28-9/4

• Please log in to reply
78 replies to this topic

#41 Boss Rock

Boss Rock
  • Members
  • 173 posts

Posted 30 August 2017 - 02:54 PM

And in regards to the Nexus, I believe the plan was always for them to lose. Cena just wanted that specific finish and then realized "Yeah, probably shouldn't have done that".

If anything, Cena seems to be more of a measuring stick for someone's success (i.e. determining if someone has "it" or not). http://www.pwmania.c...h-dolph-ziggler

#42 Mad Dog

Mad Dog
  • Members
  • 4743 posts

Posted 30 August 2017 - 05:59 PM

Is Mike Bennett the fastest they've ever given up on someone?

#43 jcmmnx

jcmmnx
  • Members
  • 451 posts

Posted 30 August 2017 - 06:25 PM

I think Buff Bagwell still has the record.

#44 Loss

Loss
  • Admins
  • 43472 posts

Posted 30 August 2017 - 06:47 PM

They fired Kronik in 2001 because their one and only match was so awful. They lasted even less time than Bagwell.

#45 C.S.

C.S.
  • Members
  • 1833 posts

Posted 30 August 2017 - 06:48 PM

Bennett was DOA from the moment he arrived on PPV. Worst debut ever. At least Gobbledygooker was memorable.

#46 Mad Dog

Mad Dog
  • Members
  • 4743 posts

Posted 30 August 2017 - 06:50 PM

They fired Kronik in 2001 because their one and only match was so awful. They lasted even less time than Bagwell.

Was there a TV match before that?

#47 sek69

sek69

Winnipeg Arena's gonna be on fire

• Members
  • 10424 posts

Posted 30 August 2017 - 07:04 PM

One of my greatest moments as a fan was being live at the 2001 Unforgiven PPV. Not only did I get to see Angle and Austin brawl right in front of me, I got to see the Undertaker nearly have a full blown tantrum at how bad his and Kane's match was against Kronik. Even when everyone came out to celebrate Kurt winning the title, he was off in the corner the whole time boo-boo facing. 

#48 Jimmy Redman

Jimmy Redman
  • Members
  • 2338 posts

Posted 30 August 2017 - 07:40 PM

And in regards to the Nexus, I believe the plan was always for them to lose. Cena just wanted that specific finish and then realized "Yeah, probably shouldn't have done that".

If anything, Cena seems to be more of a measuring stick for someone's success (i.e. determining if someone has "it" or not). http://www.pwmania.c...h-dolph-ziggler

I've seen a Barrett interview where he says they were going over until it got changed the arvo of the show.

Cena also talked about it on the Jericho pod, from memory. Like the guy on the last page said he seems to have only realised in hindsight it was the wrong call.

#49 EricR

EricR
  • DVDVR 80s Project
  • 758 posts

Posted 31 August 2017 - 12:13 AM

Bringing back Curt Hawkins, giving him a decade old "Chuck Norris Facts" gimmick and debuting him in a loss on Main Event was a pretty weird one. 

#50 TonyPulis'Cap

TonyPulis'Cap
  • Members
  • 163 posts

Posted 31 August 2017 - 02:55 AM

When the Brand Split first happened, I really enjoyed Smackdown. They seemed to make use of everyone on the roster well and the feuds all seemed personal and real without devolving into the whole 'worked shoot' territory, but this year the shows seems to have progressively fall off a cliff. I know it's not exactly a hot take, but moves like taking the title off AJ at the beginning of the year, losing The Miz who had a great run in 2016/early 2017 and then the awful Wyatt/Orton feud have slowly eroded what was previously a really fun show every week.

This week was really poor in my eyes. There were some small bright spots - I always laugh at the Fashion Files segments, even though I think they are running out of steam, and I liked the re-debut of Shelton as Gable's tag partner in a WGTT v2.0 and I thought the delivery in the Shane/Owens segment was good, even if it's building to a match I don't really want to see, but the rest of the show was really boring and uninspired. The idea of AJ doing an open challenge every week should be fun, but he beat Tye Dillinger in less than a minute when that could've been a good match. While I liked the Jinder push in that it was elevating someone new, i do find him pretty dull in the ring and he has essentially cut the same promo on every Smackdown for the past four months. Orton in the main event scene also seems to suck the life out of everything around him as well.

When Smackdown went live it initially was doing a lot of different things with the presentation that made it a really good show but it seems to have got stuck in a creative rut at the moment.   

#51 sek69

sek69

Winnipeg Arena's gonna be on fire

• Members
  • 10424 posts

Posted 31 August 2017 - 07:56 AM

Fashion Files seems like a classic case of "plans change" since they were clearly building to something with the reveal of who was attacking them. The David Lynch spoofs came off as hand waving to distract from them no longer paying off the original concept, and now it's becoming "Fandango does wacky stuff" with no clear purpose.

I'm betting we'll find out one day from some shoot interview or ex writer podcast what the real idea was supposed to be.

#52 Loss

Loss
  • Admins
  • 43472 posts

Posted 31 August 2017 - 10:07 AM

One of my greatest moments as a fan was being live at the 2001 Unforgiven PPV. Not only did I get to see Angle and Austin brawl right in front of me, I got to see the Undertaker nearly have a full blown tantrum at how bad his and Kane's match was against Kronik. Even when everyone came out to celebrate Kurt winning the title, he was off in the corner the whole time boo-boo facing. 

They were his friends, and he was the one who suggested hiring them. He was already at kind of a not-very-good point working with DDP and being tossed aside before the end of his program with Austin in favor of Benoit and Jericho. He was working through some rough injuries and also getting some criticism for not selling for anyone. So yeah, having this bad of a match with guys he recommended didn't come at a good time, even if all was forgotten pretty quickly.

#53 Strummer

Strummer
  • Members
  • 4105 posts

Posted 31 August 2017 - 12:10 PM

I can remember there being a  to-do about Undertaker and Kane squashing Edge and Christian for the tag titles in early 2001 or so.  Dave was pretty peeved about that IIRC.  Undertaker was kind of annoying in 2001

#54 El-P

El-P
  • Members
  • 8859 posts

Posted 31 August 2017 - 12:38 PM

Undertaker was kind of annoying in 2001

He was fucking awful both as a character and as a worker. The American Badass is the worst Taker era ever, even worst than Corporate Ministry. Taker gets a pass for a whole lot of shit, really, because of how cool the gimmick had been before and was again when he became the Mania Vintagetm Undertaker again.

#55 The Thread Killer

The Thread Killer

The Canadian Wildman

• Members
  • 1054 posts

Posted 31 August 2017 - 01:13 PM

I liked the Biker character, as a concept.  Taker was beyond stale at that point, and needed to change things up.  I just think that it was poorly executed at times, and like his previous incarnation, he outstayed his welcome.  I don't think it should have lasted nearly as long as it did.  But I don't think Taker would have had the run he did throughout his career, without taking that break from the traditional "Dead Man" version of the character, and breaking things up.

Let's be honest, a lot of the annoying shit the Undertaker did, he was going to do regardless of how he was dressed up.  At least the Biker gimmick gave him a lot more freedom on the microphone, and he didn't have to rely so heavily on all the gimmicky language, etc.

#56 The Thread Killer

The Thread Killer

The Canadian Wildman

• Members
  • 1054 posts

Posted 31 August 2017 - 01:26 PM

When the Brand Split first happened, I really enjoyed Smackdown. They seemed to make use of everyone on the roster well and the feuds all seemed personal and real without devolving into the whole 'worked shoot' territory, but this year the shows seems to have progressively fall off a cliff. I know it's not exactly a hot take, but moves like taking the title off AJ at the beginning of the year, losing The Miz who had a great run in 2016/early 2017 and then the awful Wyatt/Orton feud have slowly eroded what was previously a really fun show every week.

This week was really poor in my eyes. There were some small bright spots - I always laugh at the Fashion Files segments, even though I think they are running out of steam, and I liked the re-debut of Shelton as Gable's tag partner in a WGTT v2.0 and I thought the delivery in the Shane/Owens segment was good, even if it's building to a match I don't really want to see, but the rest of the show was really boring and uninspired. The idea of AJ doing an open challenge every week should be fun, but he beat Tye Dillinger in less than a minute when that could've been a good match. While I liked the Jinder push in that it was elevating someone new, i do find him pretty dull in the ring and he has essentially cut the same promo on every Smackdown for the past four months. Orton in the main event scene also seems to suck the life out of everything around him as well.

When Smackdown went live it initially was doing a lot of different things with the presentation that made it a really good show but it seems to have got stuck in a creative rut at the moment.   

Good post.  You have encapsulated everything that once was right and seems to slowly gone wrong for Smackdown since the draft.  It's pretty infuriating, since there is no good reason for it.  The talent and resources are all there, as are guys (coughLukeHarpercough) who are being criminally underutilized.  Very frustrating to be a fan right now, more often than not.

#57 The Thread Killer

The Thread Killer

The Canadian Wildman

• Members
  • 1054 posts

Posted 31 August 2017 - 03:42 PM

I caught 205 Live this week, and it was actually a pretty good show.  The No DQ/Street Fight/Hardcore Match with Kendrick and Gallaher was excellent, which you would expect from those two. I didn't much care about the whole Swann match and TJP angle, I don't even get what they're going for there, nor do I care.  But the backstage segments about and featuring Enzo were actually entertaining (to me) and the Main Event was a fun 6 Man Tag.  I am happy whenever I get to see Gran Metalik who I think is awesome and terribly underused.  Judging by the crowd reaction, moving Enzo to the Cruiserweight Division was right choice.  Of course, he's glaringly bad in the ring and noticeably less skilled at even the fundamentals than his teammates and competitors, but he will probably get more eyeballs on the product.

And yeah...I laughed out loud when he called Drew Gulak "Captain Underpants."

#58 Mad Dog

Mad Dog
  • Members
  • 4743 posts

Posted 31 August 2017 - 04:30 PM

I can remember there being a  to-do about Undertaker and Kane squashing Edge and Christian for the tag titles in early 2001 or so.  Dave was pretty peeved about that IIRC.  Undertaker was kind of annoying in 2001

For as bad as he was in 2001, he was fucking awful in 2002.

#59 goc

goc

A disgrace to Joe Blanchard

• Members
  • 7421 posts

Posted 01 September 2017 - 11:30 AM

Bringing back Curt Hawkins, giving him a decade old "Chuck Norris Facts" gimmick and debuting him in a loss on Main Event was a pretty weird one. 

I'm pretty sure Curt Hawkins was brought back just to be a jobber though. I'm not sure how much of a push they were ever really planning to give Mike Bennett but I definitely don't think anyone ever planned to actually do anything more with Curt than have him lose matches.

It's better to have your own in house jobbers under contract than rely on local indie dudes especially when you have situations like a guy getting used for a squash match in NXT while he's got a GoFundMe page up asking for donations for medical treatment for his seizures caused by concussions.

#60 C.S.

C.S.
  • Members
  • 1833 posts

Posted 01 September 2017 - 03:11 PM

It's better to have your own in house jobbers under contract than rely on local indie dudes especially when you have situations like a guy getting used for a squash match in NXT while he's got a GoFundMe page up asking for donations for medical treatment for his seizures caused by concussions.

Who was this?

I get the feeling that NXT is very backward and bush league when it comes to certain expected standards of quality backstage. For example, I heard Tyson Kidd's injury was handled very poorly. I can't remember where I heard that though - maybe a bitter Bret rant? But still.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users