Pro Wrestling Only

[1990-08-03-NJPW] Shinya Hashimoto vs Masanobu Kurisu

Phil Schneider

What a cool matchup. Kurisu is my favorite all time puro indy crowbar. A balding dumpy looking dude who hits quite a bit harder then is called for. Hashimoto is also willing to hit harder then necessary, and won't take any bullshit from an FMW scrub. Kurisu keeps trying to draw Hashimoto to the floor where he could smack him with the chair. Hash and Kurisu smack the crap out of each other in the ring but Hash obviously has the advantage. Kurisu is able to take over when finally gets Hash outside where he can recklessly crack him with a chair. It can't last forever though and Hash absolutely plants him with a bunch of DDT's at weird unsafe angles. I totally loved this, exactly what you want from this matchup. a couple of guys with a tendency to be unprofessional, losing their cool.

• 4 weeks later...

Yeah, this was a badass little scrap. I liked that while Hashimoto was several leagues above Kurius, he still put Kurisu over as a tough little tank who can deal out serious damage. Hash sells big time for Kurisu before outclassing him with an equally violent beating (especially loved his flurry of headbutts followed by beautiful judo trip), so Kurisu is forced to use illegal tactics before he can start his chair ambush. Not seeing half of Kurisu's chairshots kind of made the whole thing even better. Hash comes back as a pissed off angry bear just mauling Kurisu cuz he's Hash.

• 5 months later...
I fucking love Kurisu. Never has there been a grumpier potato-farming bastard in all of the pro-wrestling. What a highly unpleasant little man. This was basically ten minutes of two guys who will crowbar you stupid crowbarring each other stupid, so of course it was tremendous fun. Kurisu was headbutting Hash in the ear and cheekbone, really laying it in with the kicks, all to set him up for some steel chair mauling. He's determined to get Hash out the ring long enough to smash him with that chair, but Hash knows Kurisu's game and keeps scooting back in the ring. Kurisu is obviously vexed by this and starts throwing chairs around and then he just punts Hash in the balls. When he finally gets his chance to unload with the chairs you know he makes the most of it, breaking one over Hash's head and bringing it into the ring with him as a pet. Hash was buck wild with the kicks, just hammering Kurisu under the chin, walloping him in the ear with overhand chops. And the DDTs. Good grief. That first one was absolutely hellish and I thought he'd killed the wee fella. He'd have deserved it too, you know.

• GSR changed the title to [1990-08-03-NJPW] Shinya Hashimoto vs Masanobu Kurisu
  • 1 year later...

Perfectly solid "house show"-style match to start, then Kurisu gets dirty and breaks out the chair - I agree, the fact that most of the chairshots are blocked by the crowd just adds to the chaos factor. Then things get real nasty with the Hashimoto head kicks and DDTs. Great stuff. I'm unfamiliar with Kurisu but he's a lot of fun.