Pro Wrestling Only

[2017-08-26-AAA-Triplemania XXV] Psycho Clown vs Dr Wagner Jr

soup23

A pretty classic apuestas match with a lot of intrigue and pagentry. For one, it was up in the air who was losing. Secondly, the crowd really bit on every near fall and had a nervous energy that was impressive to watch. As far as the actual work of the men, I didn't think Psycho was up to snuff but Wagner gave a splendid performance. His crowd brawling was excellent and the way he ripped the mask of Psycho and went for the cut was vicious. Psycho did provide some good nearfalls down the stretch and I liked the match ending on his big Code Red finisher. Wagner is a silver fox and looks like a cartel leader so he will be fine without the mask. ****1/2

I actually JUST finished this match and rating and came up with the same thing.

Really great match. A good apuestas match with capable wrestlers and at least one mask with some weight behind it has a floor to it. The crowd energy is just going to suck you in, even when the match falls short. No worries on that front here though. These two put on a show. Wagner was the man here, adding much of the urgency and keeping the pace of the match where it needed to be. He was clearly out to make sure losing his mask was going to mean something. Psycho did his part and I don't think he took anything away from it. The drama was high, the violence was abundant, and they gave me more than one "oh shit" moment. ****1/2

• 2 weeks later...

I really wanted to like this match, but couldn't. Although to be honest, I don't think I've ever seen a single Psycho Clown match I've liked. Even as a garbage match worker, he comes off as slow and sloppy. This wasn't exactly all that sloppy, but it just seemed to drag forever. Didn't really feel much intensity or urgency, just slow brawling. At least the crowd was into it.

• GSR changed the title to [2017-08-26-AAA-Triplemania XXV] Psycho Clown vs Dr Wagner Jr
  • 1 year later...

The first time I really got lucha. Any other attempts at watching it wasn't really hitting the mark for me. Now, to be fair, the stuff I watched wasn't great anyway. It was mostly the other Triplemania events which weren't great prior to this show and LU which I'm not totally fond of. So here I am, just finishing watching Floyd vs Conor go 10 rounds, turn back over just in time for the main event. It's 4am or around that so I'm dead tired but the energy of the match was something else and woke me right up. The rest of the show didn't have the vibe this match did. The apuestas setting certainly helped. The brawling was great and very violent. Wagner diving in the crowd blew my mind at the time as brawling is fairly tame nowadays. The ripped masks, the blood, everything. You could feel the gravity of the situation. Wagner is desperate not to lose his long worn mask whereas Psycho Clown, the hot product of the time, is deseperete to hold on to that. The nearfalls were nail-biting and gripping. ****1/2