Pro Wrestling Only

[2000-07-23-MAW-Summer Sizzler 2000] Sex & Violence (CM Punk & Jason Kronnan) & Dave Prazak vs Dino & Bobby Bambino & Sherri Martel (Tables & Ladders, 2/3 falls)

soup23

Punk has started his promo shaming of the audience and it works good here where he shows a good bit of poise. Prazak comes out to Sexy Boy which made me laugh. Sherri’s gear is ahem…. Interesting. This has commentary on it unlike the early MAW matches we have seen. The opening moment with Punk and Dino was fun and then Sherri gives Punk a wedgie and is wanting a piece of Prazak. Match breaks down with all competitors brawling around ringside. The crowd heat isn’t as strong here as I would have imagined. I love Sherri but her offense consists of nut shots and eye rakes throughout this match. Prazak scales a ladder with Sherri following but Dave is able to push her off and that is the first fall with Sherri going through the table that didn’t break completely. Match opens up even more in the second fall into a full spotfest. It certainly is a match that looks a little dated but most of the execution is there and for Hardys vs E&C lite affair, this isn’t bad at all. I actually kind of like Dino in this setting better than in a straight match. Dino takes a big powerbomb onto a ladder that looked nasty. Dino gets thrown into the ring posts to the gasps of the crowd. Jason Kronnan has very little on cagematch but he looked good here and maybe he will pop up at some point in the future. I also wonder if this match contributed into getting Punk booked for IWA. Sherri inserts herself back in as the faces make a comeback. Punk is placed on a table on the outside. Prazak is sent head first into a table but they are not counting that as a fall so they send Dave through it again. Immediately afterwards, Dino climbs the top rope and hits a Shooting Star Press through the table and Punk on the outside. Dino had to gather his balance a bit but once he composed himself, the dive looked good and the match ended on a high point. A little rough around the edges but a fun effort overall. *** (6.2)

• 2 months later...

Punk has finally ditched the basketball jersey, which really improves his look. The promo is impressive considering how green he is at this point, as he's finally dropped the bouncing babyface act he had in the other matches I've seen from this year. He does a great job selling for Sherri early on, too.

It feels like we get to Sherri v. Prazak very quickly here, but they pay it off with Sherri going through the table and Prazak going one up on her here.

The second fall is fun, but there's way too many "no, you can't pin the guy, it's a tables match" spots. The brawl feels a bit too meandering and the big spots don't totally feel big enough to justify the lack of structure. The Prazak bump to end the second fall looked awful, and the shooting star took way too long to set up (although it looked nice when he hit it).

• 2 months later...

Prazak coming out to Sherri's version of the HBK theme is a great bit of heel managing. Punk cuts a decent promo for the time to start the match.Sherri's bump through the table looked like it didn't feel good. I didn't think much of this because it was basically what all these multi person table matches are: do a spot and then take 5 minutes to set up the next spot. The SSP through the table was awesome though. Bambino might have the best SSP i've seen besides Sydal.

• GSR changed the title to [2000-07-23-MAW] Sex & Violence (CM Punk & Jason Kronnan) & Dave Prazak vs Dino & Bobby Bambino & Sherri Martel (Tables & Ladders, 2/3 falls)

Two out of three falls, Tables and Ladders match, where the first team to put two member of the opposition through a table will be declared the winners.  Punk introduces Prazak as the “Sausage King of Chicago” (which I so hope is a reference to Ferris Bueller) and he makes his entrance to the Sherri sung version of ‘Sexy Boy’.  CM Punk working with Sensational Sherri is not something I ever expected to see.  The commentators talk about how she can hold her own with anybody and proves that here, Punk quickly wanting no further part of her.  Jason Kronnan fares no better and with only one man left, she slingshots Prazak into the ring.  He face plants after being whipped into the corner and Sherri goes for a cover, forgetting there are no pinfalls here.  Prazak ducks a clothesline and bails to the floor where he is surrounded by the Bambino brothers, Kronnan saving him just as they lay him on one of the tables.  We’ve three separate fights going on here as the camera struggles to keep up with everything.  Prazak takes off again with Sherri in pursuit and seems to think that climbing a ladder in the ring is the best way to escape her.  It may not have been but it works for him, for as Sherri climbs up after him he gives her a shove and she falls backward taking a painful looking bump onto a table that doesn’t break on impact.  It’s as if that takes something out of the fans seeing Sherri be the one to drop the first fall.  Sex & Violence work over Dino, slowing things down ready for the next bump.  Cradle suplex by Punk who has to have it explained to him again that there are no pins in operation here.  Dino with a coast to coast leg drop on Punk, who had gotten straddled across the middle turnbuckles after missing a charge.  Sherri’s barely moved out of their corner since she landed on that table so I wonder if she’s legit hurt.  Fisherman’s buster by Bobby, but as he then heads upstairs he’s snatched by Kronnan who Liger bombs him to the mat.  Sit-out powerbomb for Dino onto a ladder which must’ve hurt every bit as much as Sherri’s table bump.  After S&V lay him onto a table, they ascend opposite corners ready to put him through it when Sherri and Bobby give the ropes a shake causing them to lose their balance.  Top rope frankensteiner by Bobby on Kronnan and Sherri with a press slam for Punk.  Prazak is left all alone and after Bobby slugs him, Sherri drops a leg to his groin.  It looks like they were meant to hip toss him through an upright table, but they end up launching him head first into it!  The table still cracks and although the commentators think that should count as a fall, the referee waves it off.  A quick improvisation sees them whip him into it and this time it breaks proper so we’re officially all tied up.  Only for a matter of seconds mind as Punk is already laid on a table at ringside and Dino comes off the top with a shooting star press putting him through that giving them the third and deciding fall.

I thought Sherri was working stiffer than the guys here with the way she was laying her stuff in!  Surprised to see her take a bump through the table period, let alone the first one.  Although at times it did take a while to set things up, this was an enjoyable spot fest and my favourite Punk outing so far.  Dino looked good here in this environment too with his athleticism and agility.  Out of Sherri and Prazak though it’s a tough call on who took the worst, as in most painful, table bump!

• GSR changed the title to [2000-07-23-MAW-Summer Sizzler 2000] Sex & Violence (CM Punk & Jason Kronnan) & Dave Prazak vs Dino & Bobby Bambino & Sherri Martel (Tables & Ladders, 2/3 falls)