Pro Wrestling Only

[2000-07-28-FMW] Hayabusa & Hisakatsu Oya & Masato Tanaka vs Mr Gannosuke & Kodo Fuyuki & Jinsei Shinzaki

soup23

One of the better 6 mans of the year so far. This is the first time JInsei has been in FMW in over a year and they play off that history with him and Busa doing a really great sequence at first with some mat work that was friendly but aggressive. Things open up from there when Gannosuke comes in and cribs the Busa/Jinsei spots including the pose. The meat of the match revolves around the beating Oya takes. He has his ribs taped up and the heels do a great job hounding on him. Gannosuke is one of my personal favorite guys in wrestling just from the way he runs the ropes so violently like the ultimate loyal henchman. The finale is long and intricate but I didn't think it was too ridiculous from a kickout standpoint besides Hayabusa taking three powerbombs from all three opponents and then kicking out. This was after Gannosuke realized he was outgunned and he had to survive the onslaught from Tanaka and Oya. In the waning moments, we get a sudden turn as Jinsei turns on his team and Gannosuke in particular for the insulting nature of the early portion of the match. It didn't make the most sense logically but it got a huge pop so I will give it a pass. Him and Busa run through some of their double team moves and Busa picks up the win with a 450. **** (8.2)

• 2 months later...

Yes this was fine stuff and then the turn comes and it's simultaneously nonsense and also an electric moment. I have never cared for people turning on their partners mid-match as it makes absolutely no sense to wait like that but this was pulled off well enough and the crowd popped big for the teaming up of Hayabusa and Shinzaki. Hayabusa almost slips off the top rope before hitting a perfect 450 for the win.

***1/2

• 1 month later...

The Shinzaki turn was to be expected. He was close to Hayabusa and that's one of the reasons he was at the 5/5 Anniversary show. Also why they worked that ECW match together against RVD and Sabu and why they toured AJPW together.

The match was one of the better FMW matches we've seen.

I love it when a face comes in with a tapped up/injured body part and the heels exploit it, so Oya coming in with tapped up ribs and the heels going after it was neat, however Oya's just walking around normally despite the "injured" ribs was kinda eh. Not sure if the backslide by Gannosuke on Oya was a botch, but the quick Fujiwara armbar made up for it and looked natural so kudos to them.

That turn by Shinzaki was great. Got a massive pop from the crowd and their tag team moves looked fantastic.

Really good stuff.

***1/2

• 1 month later...

The heels entrance with the women wearing Shinizaki caps was funny. This was pretty good with the heels going after Oya's injured ribs and Hayabusa flying all over the place. I liked when Fuyuki goes after the ribs, he makes a weird screaming noise. The turn didn't make sense but was fine because the crowd popped for it.

• GSR changed the title to [2000-07-28-FMW] Hayabusa & Hisakatsu Oya & Masato Tanaka vs Mr Gannosuke & Kodo Fuyuki & Jinsei Shinzaki
  • 2 weeks later...

If I'm ever going to get into FMW it has to be with a multiple-man match, right? Right? I liked how this bout provided everyone with short bursts of action that masked whatever flaws they might have in singles matches. And the injury to Oya gave them a focal point during the tricky middle period where the heat had worn off, and while the Shinzaki turn didn't make much sense to the casual observer at least it was a guy trying to aid the face side instead of his rudo partners turning on him. Entertaining bout.