Pro Wrestling Only

WWE TV Sept 4-10

sek69

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know how you could watch the Roman/Cena segment from this week and think Roman got "destroyed." That was one of Cena's worst promos ever, it was like he heard Roman call him a fake bitch and went out of his way to prove him right with the most pandering promo I've ever heard from him.

Not so much the promo itself, but I thought Roman challenging Cena to step to him and Cena backing off made him look super weak, and uncharacteristically so, since Cena is ALWAYS the one to be all "well smart guy let's settle this like men right here, right now!!" and never backs down from a fight. That part seemed super weird to me. Maybe they felt like Roman had to punk out Cena after last week.

I thought Roman's best line was the dick joke, but they ruined it by talking over it straight away. The bits about "why did it take you so long to beat a jobber?" were stupid, and could have easily been dealt with by Cena saying well, Jason Jordan is a great wrestler and that's how long it takes. Instead they implied he was carrying him like Mayweather carried Conor, which made no sense watching the match since Jordan held his own with Cena.

Cena still comes across as more natural, even when he's clearly holding back. Roman still seems forced, even though he remembered his lines this week. Cena was the big brother letting the little brother win.

This except completely opposite as Cena's promo felt very forced this week while Roman was just naturally responding. Cena's promo was like a kid who was getting picked on for being the new kid in school and finally someone else new comes along so he tries to win over everyone by saying all the same shit to the new kid that everyone else was saying to him before.

Yeah but we know Cena's one of the best promos in the company and Roman getting the better of him tonight was like when I sell for my five year old when we play wrestle. Like we know he can own Roman at will, we literally just saw it last week, so his promo this week was screaming "either I'm letting him win or I've suffered a head injury that limited my ability to speak".

I get the feeling that they're going to go back and forth each week to build the idea that each guy can make the other seem "gotten to", but it's just going to make it clear Cena wins by destroying him on the mic and Roman only wins if John doesn't respond and/or backs down. Because Cena is much better at this than Roman and he has to noticeably dial it back to make it seem like a fair fight.

This is probably stretching one of Cena's lines to the fullest, but John mentioned that he let Roman run his mouth until the perfect opportunity to "cut him down" arose. It did seem as if Cena was holding back and allowing Roman to get ahead of himself. Cena letting Roman succumb to his own hubris would make some sense in isolation but it's in stark contrast to the Cena personality we've become use to.

I mean, it's all scripted, so whoever "wins" or has the better line or argument or whatever is as much determined by the writers as who wins the match. WWE did this kinda brilliantly with Rock/Cena, I remember lots of arguments about who was winning their promo battles, and it ended up being the biggest money grossing show in wrestling history. To me, last week they had Cena work way too stiff with Roman if they want Roman to be the face of the company. So this week Roman was booked to win and look stronger. Obviously Roman isn't a fraction of the promo that Cena is, I don't think Vince will ever have to worry about Roman getting all the Hollywood buzz that Cena is getting, guy just can't deliver lines very well.

How do people still watch wrestling when their head is inside their own asshole?

Well that escalated quickly.

Always great to see enlightened debate here on the ol' Pee Dub Oh.

Yes, his insightful, reasoned, well thought out and eloquent rebuttal of your post really made me stop and consider his position.

This is just like the Gore Vidal/William F. Buckley debates.

Saying that Cena destroyed Roman on the mic by NOT destroying him on the mic isn't something that deserves any better response.

Here's the problem with that. If you don't agree with him, you had three choices:

1 ) Say you don't agree with him, and explain why.

2 ) Decide that his opinion is so off-base that there is no point even arguing with him, and ignore the post

OR

3 ) Make a rude, insulting and (most importantly) pointless comment that adds nothing to the discussion - other than making you look like a dick.

Which means either you're not capable of forming a coherent argument against his point or...

You're so thin-skinned that you can't let an opinion be expressed here that you don't agree with without adding your two cents or...

You're just a dick.

I've read your posts plenty of times. I don't always agree with you. I often don't. But there's no reason to be a dick about it and screw the thread up for everybody else.

So disagree if you must. But please...don't be a dick.

knowing.jpg

Is Dolph Ziggler the first wrestler to ever get over entirely on internet heresay? I mean, there have always been rumours of guys getting held back or not having the office behind them but usually that sort of thing is paired with a guy being a great worker or an entertaining promo that the fans want to see elevated. With Ziggler, he's a historically terrible promo and has never been that good a worker but he was popular for a few years with a certain segment of the audience because he was "being held back".

He was a good worker back in the day. And he wasn't getting pushed to match how over he was.

It's just that he slowly became quite terrible since then, and some people are stuck in 2012.

To me he was good in a "ten minute entertaining but disposable TV match" sort of way and was probably pushed to about exactly the level his ability warranted if not further.