WWE TV Sept 4-10

• Please log in to reply
92 replies to this topic

#21 Loss

Loss
  • Admins
  • 43479 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 03:29 PM

Moving on. Let's kill this particular topic of conversation so that we don't kill this particular topic of conversation.

#22 FMKK

FMKK
  • Members
  • 505 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 07:46 PM

Is Dolph Ziggler the first wrestler to ever get over entirely on internet heresay? I mean, there have always been rumours of guys getting held back or not having the office behind them but usually that sort of thing is paired with a guy being a great worker or an entertaining promo that the fans want to see elevated. With Ziggler, he's a historically terrible promo and has never been that good a worker but he was popular for a few years with a certain segment of the audience because he was "being held back".

#23 Jimmy Redman

Jimmy Redman
  • Members
  • 2338 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 08:01 PM

He was a good worker back in the day. And he wasn't getting pushed to match how over he was.

It's just that he slowly became quite terrible since then, and some people are stuck in 2012.

#24 FMKK

FMKK
  • Members
  • 505 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 08:10 PM

He was a good worker back in the day. And he wasn't getting pushed to match how over he was.
It's just that he slowly became quite terrible since then, and some people are stuck in 2012.

To me he was good in a "ten minute entertaining but disposable TV match" sort of way and was probably pushed to about exactly the level his ability warranted if not further.

#25 Strummer

Strummer
  • Members
  • 4112 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 08:14 PM

Man they are bringing .Vince back to tv to do an angle with Owens. That right there has to be a sign they see him a top tier type guy

And I agree with .Jimmy, Dolph got the support because he was more over than his push. It wasn't necessarily him but what he represented

#26 Jimmy Redman

Jimmy Redman
  • Members
  • 2338 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 08:46 PM

It's tricky with Dolph. As a heel he was good, and that's what got him support and smark cheers. But then when they turned him babyface, he was terrible at it and started his downward spiral. So like what do you do with a heel who can't work face who people want to cheer.

#27 Loss

Loss
  • Admins
  • 43479 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 09:14 PM

What I never understand about guys they obviously don't like at all like Dolph is why they even keep them employed. Just let them go!

#28 SirEdger

SirEdger

Eternal nostalgic...especially about wrestling

• Members
  • 1995 posts
  • Interests:Pro wrestling, fantasy booking, hockey, football, history, UFC, baseball, video games, reading.

Posted 05 September 2017 - 09:14 PM

If they wanted me to throw my remote at my TV during the Ziggler segment, mission accomplished. I just can't anymore. And I was a Ziggler fan.

#29 SmartMark15

SmartMark15
  • Members
  • 333 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 09:54 PM

It's tricky with Dolph. As a heel he was good, and that's what got him support and smark cheers. But then when they turned him babyface, he was terrible at it and started his downward spiral. So like what do you do with a heel who can't work face who people want to cheer.

I always got the feel that Ziggler was quite decent as opposed to great or even very good. What did you find to be his peak?

#30 Alucard

Alucard
  • Members
  • 287 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 09:57 PM

I'm in the minority but I thought last year was Ziggler's best. The promos building up to SummerSlam were his career best (Ambrose's too IMO) and the Miz feud was consistently delivering good-great matches.

#31 goc

goc

A disgrace to Joe Blanchard

• Members
  • 7422 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 10:47 PM

Dolph's segment on Smackdown is one of the worst things I've ever seen on wrestling television.

#32 Johnny Sorrow

Johnny Sorrow
  • Members
  • 4495 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 11:03 PM

This is just like the Gore Vidal/William F. Buckley debates.

When is a hateful fascist closet case going to call someone a queer and threaten to punch him?

And in other news, if you still don't realize Jason Jordan is gonna be a heel, his music literally says "related to and destined for greatness " or some shit like that. He was even wearing the Connor shirt, which is a tightrope to walk when you're creating the "pandering babyface" that's intended to turn off the crowd. It's an attempt to recreate Rocky Maivia, and that's tough when it isn't organic.

#33 MoS

MoS
  • Members
  • 425 posts

Posted 06 September 2017 - 03:40 AM

Braun Strowman has to be the most compelling wrestling character in WWE since Daniel Bryan in the first quarter of 2014. I really hope they pull the trigger and give him the title. Roman-Strowman is a more interesting feud anyway and apparently the two are also doing excellent house show numbers.

#34 Jimmy Redman

Jimmy Redman
  • Members
  • 2338 posts

Posted 06 September 2017 - 04:28 AM

I always got the feel that Ziggler was quite decent as opposed to great or even very good. What did you find to be his peak?

He was good around 2010-2013. Good run with Vickie in tow, good run with the IC Title. Good team with Swagger. Great matches over the years with Kofi, Orton, Sheamus, Cena, Bryan, Alberto, Cesaro, Rey, etc.

By the end of 2012 he flirted with the main event with the Cena feud, and when he cashed in MITB it was HUGE. The double turn with Alberto was great. Even in the last few years, that SS match, the Miz feud, wasn't there a ladder match with Harper?

All good stuff. I think it's unfair to suggest he was never good. But he's been pedestrian and really served no purpose for a long time.

#35 FMKK

FMKK
  • Members
  • 505 posts

Posted 06 September 2017 - 04:51 AM

I'll concede that he's had good matches (though very few if any great ones) but his character has been meta bullshit about his push for about 4 years and it's unbearable. He has terrible instincts as a worker as well, but is athletic enough to be carried by the right guy.

He would be a solid midcard hand if he didn't seem so played out

#36 Loss

Loss
  • Admins
  • 43479 posts

Posted 06 September 2017 - 06:43 AM

Braun Strowman has to be the most compelling wrestling character in WWE since Daniel Bryan in the first quarter of 2014. I really hope they pull the trigger and give him the title. Roman-Strowman is a more interesting feud anyway and apparently the two are also doing excellent house show numbers.

He's a superheavyweight talent at a level we haven't seen since Vader. I wish 2-3 year title runs were still a thing. 

#37 The Chief

The Chief
  • Members
  • 1592 posts

Posted 06 September 2017 - 06:44 AM

They could have made the Dolph stuff entertaining if the gave him the Poochie treatment like they hinted at. Go completely over the top with the presentation. Turn him into a walking Mountain Dew commercial.

#38 sek69

sek69

Winnipeg Arena's gonna be on fire

• Members
  • 10436 posts

Posted 06 September 2017 - 09:55 AM

You'd think putting the title on Braun would be a no brainer. He's everything Brock brings to the table in terms of being a big scary monster who can toss people around, a better promo, is available full time, and comes at a fraction of the cost. 

I actually still like Brock, but Braun is so clearly the better choice on top I don't see any way you can argue otherwise.

#39 Ricky Jackson

Ricky Jackson

The Only 5 Time Champion

• Members
  • 2794 posts
  • Interests:Wrestling, music, comics, beer, movies, history, sports...good manly stuff.

Posted 06 September 2017 - 10:44 AM

Braun will get his time on top, people don't need to get hung up on him being champ RIGHT NOW

#40 goc

goc

A disgrace to Joe Blanchard

• Members
  • 7422 posts

Posted 06 September 2017 - 10:44 AM

Braun is special being Braun, you make him the champ and then he gets slotted inside the formula they use for all champions and it's not going to be as good.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users