Pro Wrestling Only

[2000-07-29-NWA Wildside-TV] A.J. Styles vs Jesse Taylor

soup23

I'm surprised Taylor never became anything bigger as he has a good look and size and delivers his power moves here well. Styles as a heel was effective being cocky and overzealous but hitting all of his big moves flawlessly. They work a good seven minute tv match that wouldn't have looked out of place at all on Raw around this time. I was surprised to see Styles lose clean here but it did play into the fact that he was overconfident. **3/4

• 2 months later...

Taylor has the look and explosiveness as he tosses Styles halfway across the ring. Styles uses a litany of low blows and that goofy snap swinging neckbreaker. I did not care for Taylor's light comeback punches. Styles throws his whole body into a lariat that looks good and he's believable and effective working over a much bigger opponent. Taylor is caught of in the middle where he doesn't maybe have the capacity to be really sympathetic but he does a good enough job selling and making his comeback with the big belly to belly. Good little match.

• 2 months later...
  • GSR changed the title to [2000-07-29-NWA Wildside-TV] A.J. Styles vs Jesse Taylor

I reckon I must mention the commercial breaks in every Wildside write up and the match has barely got begun and we get one here.  Great release/catch military press into a powerslam by Taylor a la Goldberg.  Styles bails to the floor to get some advice from Jeff G. Bailey, although they don’t get the chance to talk for long, Taylor following him out.  A.J. ducks inside and gets the jump on his opponent when he slides back in.  Nice snap swinging neckbreaker.  Taylor with a tip up but Styles sees it coming and kicks a field goal between his legs as he comes down.  DDT for a two.  A.J. whips Taylor into the corner however he runs up the turnbuckles, springs backwards and catches Styles with a flying elbow.  A glorious dropkick by A.J. who then throws Taylor to the floor and distracts the official so Jeff G. can punt him in the ribs.  Frog splash but Taylor manages to kick out in time.  Another whip to the corner, Styles rushes in for a lariat, however Taylor ducks under and catches him with a belly to belly suplex for the upset win.  Bailey wallops Taylor with his shoe after the match and the two of them attack him until Jorge “he doesn’t even work here” Estrada runs out and makes the save.

Third time seeing this match up this year and Taylor and Styles continue to show that they have good chemistry when working together.  The more I see of Taylor the more I’m surprised that he never really did anything or went anywhere outside of Wildside as he’s both athletic and powerful.  Who knows if WCW had stuck around maybe he would’ve transitioned over there at some point as he looks tailor made for them.