Photo

Master List of All Pre-70s Footage

• Please log in to reply
78 replies to this topic

#21 thebrainfollower

thebrainfollower
  • Members
  • 1231 posts
  • Interests:Doctor Who, Star Wars, classic horror, politics, history, theater, and that wrestling thing we are here for.

Posted 10 September 2017 - 04:35 PM

Does anyone know the story of HOW those WWWF 4 shows happened to survive?

#22 peachchaos

peachchaos
  • Members
  • 1003 posts

Posted 10 September 2017 - 06:05 PM

Corey lists this as being from Long Island City, NY

06/09/32 Unknown Ed Strangler Lewis vs Dick Shikat

----Actually, Steve Yohe also has it being there

Lewis was brought into New York City in June and, right away, was booked into a contenders match with Dick Shikat on June 9, 1932 in Long Island City's (Queens) new Madison Square Garden Bowl. The winner would get a title match with Londos.

Just quoting this so it doesn't get lost on the bottom of the page. 

Trust in Yohe, always.

#23 legace

legace
  • Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 11 September 2017 - 05:57 AM

Do any of Tor Johnson's matches still exist on film?

I personally haven't come across any as yet but if I do it'll be posted here.

#24 legace

legace
  • Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 11 September 2017 - 05:58 AM

Corey lists this as being from Long Island City, NY

06/09/32 Unknown Ed Strangler Lewis vs Dick Shikat

----Actually, Steve Yohe also has it being there

Lewis was brought into New York City in June and, right away, was booked into a contenders match with Dick Shikat on June 9, 1932 in Long Island City's (Queens) new Madison Square Garden Bowl. The winner would get a title match with Londos.

Yeah this match was already listed above but it's always nice to read extra info on stuff so thanks.

#25 legace

legace
  • Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 11 September 2017 - 05:59 AM

Does anyone know the story of HOW those WWWF 4 shows happened to survive?

I think the guy who obtained them did so direct from the TV channel they aired on rather than from WWWF themselves.

#26 legace

legace
  • Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 11 September 2017 - 06:52 AM

The list of available Japan Pro Wrestling Alliance footage 1954 - 1963 and Japanese Wrestling Association footage 1964 - 1969 has been added to post 1.

#27 iamthedoctor

iamthedoctor
  • Members
  • 795 posts

Posted 11 September 2017 - 07:00 AM

Okay I'm gonna begin here with the WWWF, there's not an awful lot floating around out there right now so this is a fairly short list, I will be adding stuff to the list if and when any more becomes available. I'll also be adding stuff from the other promotions that I've come across as I go along too, I'm still working on the Capitol Wrestling Corporation list so for now here's the list of all existing WWWF pre-1970 footage which I believe is is complete -

I noticed that list was missing WWWF TV December 2, 1965. I know there was a Bobby Davis stuff from the 50s but those early 60s WWWF I believe there was 4 episodes.

Here are what exists from ITV Wrestling and World Of Sport pre-1970 -

Regarding pre 1970s from ITV I think there is alot more 60s matches out there as I remember years ago Sky Sports was airing some old WOS matches that were black and white footage. No idea what aired as I only caught the odd one or two when I came from the city early on a weekday so haven't a clue what they aired.

#28 legace

legace
  • Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 11 September 2017 - 11:24 AM

Okay I'm gonna begin here with the WWWF, there's not an awful lot floating around out there right now so this is a fairly short list, I will be adding stuff to the list if and when any more becomes available. I'll also be adding stuff from the other promotions that I've come across as I go along too, I'm still working on the Capitol Wrestling Corporation list so for now here's the list of all existing WWWF pre-1970 footage which I believe is is complete -

I noticed that list was missing WWWF TV December 2, 1965. I know there was a Bobby Davis stuff from the 50s but those early 60s WWWF I believe there was 4 episodes.

Here are what exists from ITV Wrestling and World Of Sport pre-1970 -

Regarding pre 1970s from ITV I think there is alot more 60s matches out there as I remember years ago Sky Sports was airing some old WOS matches that were black and white footage. No idea what aired as I only caught the odd one or two when I came from the city early on a weekday so haven't a clue what they aired.

Yeah the episode that is listed by some as December 2nd, 1965 is mislabelled, the actual date is January 20th, 1966, I'll add that info to the list.

As for the World Of Sport stuff, the only thing I can think of that you MIGHT be talking about is this:

"Sky Sports Classics

This series of 8 shows aired on Sky Sports 3 in the summer of 1998. Hosted by Jeff Stelling, it combined archive matches with contemporary interviews with former TV stars".

The above was taken from British Wrestling expert John Lister's itvwrestling.co.uk site, I recently asked him if he remembers any pre-1970 stuff airing on Sky Sports Classics and he said this: "I don't think the Sky Sports Classics or Waddell's Wrestling Show had any vintage stuff -- I believe it was taken from the same set of 70s/80s tapes used to produce the two DVDs".

#29 Mad Dog

Mad Dog
  • Members
  • 4743 posts

Posted 11 September 2017 - 04:25 PM

That's a shame. I've been trying to find some of him and have had zero luck. 

#30 legace

legace
  • Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 11 September 2017 - 05:54 PM

That's a shame. I've been trying to find some of him and have had zero luck. 

I guess the best people to ask would be Steve Yohe or one of those lads. Which promotions did Johnson most famously work for?

#31 Mad Dog

Mad Dog
  • Members
  • 4743 posts

Posted 11 September 2017 - 08:12 PM

See, that's what I'm unsure of. I know he wrestled as the Swedish Angel. And the only substantial thing I have on him is he held the MWA World Title in 1943 in a quick flip with Orville Brown. But I really just know he was a wrestler who did a lot of Ed Wood's movies.

#32 ragemaster

ragemaster
  • Members
  • 137 posts

Posted 11 September 2017 - 09:22 PM

Has the 1962 Mick McManus vs Jackie Pallo been released/shown in its entirety?

Only clips were ever shown on the BBC documentary time shift?

#33 legace

legace
  • Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 02:03 PM

See, that's what I'm unsure of. I know he wrestled as the Swedish Angel. And the only substantial thing I have on him is he held the MWA World Title in 1943 in a quick flip with Orville Brown. But I really just know he was a wrestler who did a lot of Ed Wood's movies.

I only know him as the Swedish Angel and for the Ed Wood films too, I'd imagine if any stuff of him IS out there it'd likely be newsreel clips.

#34 legace

legace
  • Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 02:05 PM

The complete episode of that particular FA Cup Final special is circulating but only amongst a select few people, it's EXTREMELY rare.

#35 ragemaster

ragemaster
  • Members
  • 137 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 03:30 PM

The complete episode of that particular FA Cup Final special is circulating but only amongst a select few people, it's EXTREMELY rare.

Makes you wonder how much more WOS is out there somewhere.

Always wanted to see some early George Kidd or Billy Robinson.

#36 legace

legace
  • Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 03:44 PM

Makes you wonder how much more WOS is out there somewhere.

Always wanted to see some early George Kidd or Billy Robinson.

From what I've been told the person has the 1962 FA Cup show bought it from ITV directly along with some other stuff too, they apparently spent a pretty penny in order to obtain all the footage.

#37 ragemaster

ragemaster
  • Members
  • 137 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 04:52 PM

Do you know if they brought just a copy or the rights, so ITV don't have a copy or own it now.

Hopefully they find a way to release it someday and not just sit on it.  

#38 legace

legace
  • Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 04:55 PM

Do you know if they brought just a copy or the rights, so ITV don't have a copy or own it now.

Hopefully they find a way to release it someday and not just sit on it.  

It was just a British Wrestling fan who bought the footage for home use only, ITV still own the rights. I'd like to see them put some stuff on ITV Hub or something.

#39 Phil Schneider

Phil Schneider
  • DVDVR 80s Project
  • 3405 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 06:54 PM

If that is possible we should find a Brit to buy some stuff, raise a little cash and throw it on a google drive or something

#40 legace

legace
  • Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 08:48 PM

If that is possible we should find a Brit to buy some stuff, raise a little cash and throw it on a google drive or something

This is what British Wrestling expert John Lister told me when I asked him about it last year:

"Before the 1970s all we have is an -- apparently quite large -- film reel archive held by one of the ITV regions covering the 50s and 60s. The problem is that it's unlabelled and they charge a fee of several hundred pounds simply to cue up a reel and see what's on it, then another similarly large fee to get a copy made, which is strictly licensed for personal use only and no copying.

The only one of these reels that I know for sure to have been converted includes the 1962 Cup Final, which was dug out for the Northern Reunion a few years back. (This same reel, which had a few other shows, was the source of the archive material in the BBC Four Timeshift documentary.)

The bad news is that the tape seems to be almost impossible to get hold of, simply because officially nobody is allowed to make a copy. I believe it is circulating, but have never managed to get a copy myself!".

So there you have it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users