Pro Wrestling Only

Any contenders for WWF Greatest Match Ever between WrestleMania 3 and WrestleMania 10?

BigBadMick

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well? I was thinking about this WWF narrative lately.

Also, were there any WWF matches prior that topped Savage-Steamboat?

In critical circles or in WWF lore? The company didn't canonize the Boot Camp match like that and I don't know if people talked about it that way in the years '84-87, but it definitely merits it in retrospect.

Hart/Bulldog - Summerslam 92

This was heavily canonized by the company for a long time, and also by fans, although that's been reassessed over the years...

Warrior/Savage - Wrestlemania VII

But this is a better candidate, I think.

I would say Warrior/Savage is probably the best match between those 2 events. It has an argument for being a 5 star match with an amazing narrative from start to finish.

Pre Savage/Steamboat is a tough call. The Boot Camp Match immediately jumps to mind. I like the Back Alley Brawl with Slaughter and Patterson a lot but it wasn't as good as the Boot Camp Match. I remember really loving one of the Backlund/Slaughter matches but I don't remember which one it was anymore.

Bret/Perfect from KOTR 93 placed #12 in the SC poll. And I might be the world's biggest fan of that match, so I have no problem with that. Rude/Warrior at Summerslam 89 and the Hogan/Slaughter Desert Storm Match at MSG are also high on my list of favorites.

Pre-Savage/Steamboat, I'm a big fan of the Backlund/Patera Texas Death Match (not an actual Texas Death Match, that was the WWF term for a no-DQ match).

Hart/Hennig - Summerslam 91

Hart/Bulldog - Summerslam 92

Hogan/Savage - Wrestlemania V

Hogan/Warrior - Wrestemania VI

Warrior/Savage - Wrestlemania VII

Warrior/Rude - Summerslam 89

Piper/Hart - Wrestlemania VIII

Flair/Savage - Wrestlemania VIII

Hennig/Flair - Raw 1/25/199

This seems pretty comprehensive, I'd add the Piper-Rude Cage Match and Hart-Lawler SummerSlam for completists sake.

For my money, Piper-Hart is the best of the bunch with Hart-Lawler very close behind.

Warrior/Savage doesn't floor me as a match anymore, it really is a smoke-and-mirrors backdrop for an angle. Good match and Loss is on point as usual with his comment. Just not my cup of tea in 2017.

The Boot Camp match is the perfect blowoff to an incredibly heated feud. The fact that Slaughter was somehow able to top the Alley Fight (in terms of violence and heat if nothing else) is truly masterclass stuff. The heat for this feud really fell into their lap, but it took a superworker to take it to the next level. It's hard to understate how talented Slaughter really is when his best match (and maybe the best match period) is in there against the Sheik. It's insane really.

Another Slaughter match I'd like to call to mind is the 1/81 Philadelphia Cage Match against Backlund. Watching this recently I thought it to be a contender for best WWE cage and put it just under five stars. Another amazing Slaughter cut and of course Backlund holds his own.

The Valentine-Santana Cage is right there too.

Savage-Santana No DQ Summer 86 (****1/4) and Savage-Steamboat 2/87 (*****) both from Toronto deserve a mention as well.

Well? I was thinking about this WWF narrative lately.

Also, were there any WWF matches prior that topped Savage-Steamboat?

And how long did Michaels-Razor stand atop the pole?

Michaels-Razor wasn't even the best match that night.

On the night it was, but it hasn't stood the test of time and has aged since the Hardy's, Edge and Christian and the Dudley's raised the bar.

I haven't seen it in years but for something which is not really a WWF match at all, how does Adonis/Murdoch vs the Briscos hold up?

It's been a few years but I remember quite enjoying it.

Adonis and Backlund have a really, really great Lumberjack Match at the March 1982 Capital Centre show that I remember catching me completely by surprise.

On the night it was, but it hasn't stood the test of time and has aged since the Hardy's, Edge and Christian and the Dudley's raised the bar.

They have raised the bar on stupid-as-fuck exhibition stunt shows with people climbing ladders just to fall down through tables. As a pro-wrestling match with a gimmick, Razor vs Michaels remains a classic.

I haven't seen it in years but for something which is not really a WWF match at all, how does Adonis/Murdoch vs the Briscos hold up?

It's been a few years but I remember quite enjoying it.

Adonis and Backlund have a really, really great Lumberjack Match at the March 1982 Capital Centre show that I remember catching me completely by surprise.

That match is awesome. They also have an under the radar really good match from 3/82 Philly

Steamboat vs. Bob Orton Jr. is pretty special.

Man... that brings back a bizarrely specific memory:

One of my wrestling fiends had a collection of Colosseum Home Videos. There was a match, and I am 90 per cent sure it was Steamboat vs Orton, that was on two different volumes of The Best of the WWF. I remember we were discussing if maybe it was an example of a "formula match" where two guys work basically the same match around the circuit... but then we cued them up and watched them back to back and it quickly became apparent that it was in fact the exact same match in the same building with the same fans...

That stands out in my memory more than the match itself, though I am sure it's a good one. I'm assuming it's the same on you mean.

I wonder how many other matches made more than one Colosseum tape.