Pro Wrestling Only

Any contenders for WWF Greatest Match Ever between WrestleMania 3 and WrestleMania 10?

BigBadMick

Well? I was thinking about this WWF narrative lately.

Also, were there any WWF matches prior that topped Savage-Steamboat?

And how long did Michaels-Razor stand atop the pole?

Michaels-Razor wasn't even the best match that night.

On the night it was, but it hasn't stood the test of time and has aged since the Hardy's, Edge and Christian and the Dudley's raised the bar.

Completely disagree. Ladder matches are like action films. Fun at the moment but hardly hold up.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On the night it was, but it hasn't stood the test of time and has aged since the Hardy's, Edge and Christian and the Dudley's raised the bar.

Completely disagree. Ladder matches are like action films. Fun at the moment but hardly hold up.

Not sure what point your making, sounds like your agreeing with me.

Bret vs. Davey Boy SS92 is my pick. Incredible Bret performance playing the subtle heel vs. the hometown boy. Bret vs. Savage SNME 87 is excellent too. Also agree with the comments that Bret/Owen > Shawn/Razor. Shawn vs. Razor is a great match but Bret vs. Owen is one of the best matches of all time and my #2 US match ever.

Not sure what point your making, sounds like your agreeing with me.

No. Bret-Owen was better that night and every day since.

Ramon/Michaels I was great because it maintains a face/heel dynamic. Spotfests are fun, but you don't get emotionally invested because there's no rooting interest.

Also they incorporated the ladder into their match instead of building it around ladder spots. The best description of the match I have read was that it is a match with a ladder rather than a ladder match.

Yeah, I think the real point to is that Shawn and Razor would have had a great match without the ladder. You really can't say the same for the Hardys and crew.

But choosing between the two perfect matches that happened at ten is like picking a favorite kid. One is the best opener, the other is the best gimmick match in Mania history.

First matches to come to mind were Bret-Hennig SummerSlam 91, Bret-Davey SummerSlam 92, and Bret-Piper WMVIII. Also Savage-Flair WMVIII and Savage-Warrior WMVII. Some of the Rockers-Brainbusters matches too maybe. They tend to blend together with me, but I think they had a really great one on a SNME.

I wouldn't say any of those matches are definitively best of that period, but think they all belong in the conversation

Anyone mentioned the big Survivor Series tag match? That one that goes about 40 minutes?

Still contend this is one of the more overrated matches in WWF history. I have watched it on some live watches and at other points in the past couple of years and it doesn't top out at ***1/2 for me. Also, one of the dumbest decisions ever by a manager for Fuji to walk out on Demolition for Powers of Pain.

The answer to this question as hypothesized in the original post is Savage vs Warrior.

Anyone mentioned the big Survivor Series tag match? That one that goes about 40 minutes?

Still contend this is one of the more overrated matches in WWF history. I have watched it on some live watches and at other points in the past couple of years and it doesn't top out at ***1/2 for me. Also, one of the dumbest decisions ever by a manager for Fuji to walk out on Demolition for Powers of Pain.

Aye, but there's two big long 20-man tag matches, the Fuji flip was 1988 and the generally better-liked match was 1987. I would agree that neither is on the level of the other matches mentioned so far.

And hey, Fuji was regularly portrayed as just plain dumb compared to some of the other managers, so it kind of fit?

Yeah, I always thought Fuji going with the Powers of Pain made total sense. 1) He was portrayed as dumber than the other top managers, and 2) The Powers of Pain were the new monster team in the fed. And 3) it worked to turn the Demos face, and they had a great face run. It all worked.

And I loved those huge Survivor tag matches with the "re-enforced ring"

It's the 87 one for sure. They go almost 40 minutes and you've got the likes of Bret, Tito, Greg, Martel, Haku, Bulldogs all in there working their arses off for the full time.

Plus it's a match with 20 guys in it that tells a story. I'd imagine around the **** mark which would put it on par with the best Savage vs. Dibiase matches at the very least.

I haven't seen it in years though, so could be one like Summerslam 89 Brainbusters vs Harts that blows you away at the time -- in the context of 80s WWF VHS tapes -- but isn't so hot to see now.

Hart/Hennig - Summerslam 91

Hart/Bulldog - Summerslam 92

Hogan/Savage - Wrestlemania V

Hogan/Warrior - Wrestemania VI

Warrior/Savage - Wrestlemania VII

Warrior/Rude - Summerslam 89

Piper/Hart - Wrestlemania VIII

Flair/Savage - Wrestlemania VIII

Hennig/Flair - Raw 1/25/199

This seems pretty comprehensive, I'd add the Piper-Rude Cage Match and Hart-Lawler SummerSlam for completists sake.

For my money, Piper-Hart is the best of the bunch with Hart-Lawler very close behind.

Warrior/Savage doesn't floor me as a match anymore, it really is a smoke-and-mirrors backdrop for an angle. Good match and Loss is on point as usual with his comment. Just not my cup of tea in 2017.

Hart-Lawler at Summerslam '93? Is that the one with Doink interference? Memories are fuzzy for me on that, but I'm not sure it would make my top 200 matches of that period let alone top two.

Technically it's two different matches. It was billed as Hart vs. Lawler so I'm considering the entire segment in my rating. Realistically, I could see people watch it and look at it as nothing more than a pair of **1/2 matches, but it's much much more than that.

Fuck it. I'm going to pop in SS 93 right now and watch the entire show.