Pro Wrestling Only

Any contenders for WWF Greatest Match Ever between WrestleMania 3 and WrestleMania 10?

BigBadMick

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone mentioned the big Survivor Series tag match? That one that goes about 40 minutes?

Still contend this is one of the more overrated matches in WWF history. I have watched it on some live watches and at other points in the past couple of years and it doesn't top out at ***1/2 for me. Also, one of the dumbest decisions ever by a manager for Fuji to walk out on Demolition for Powers of Pain.

Aye, but there's two big long 20-man tag matches, the Fuji flip was 1988 and the generally better-liked match was 1987. I would agree that neither is on the level of the other matches mentioned so far.

And hey, Fuji was regularly portrayed as just plain dumb compared to some of the other managers, so it kind of fit?

Both of these matches are my go-to-"Netflix and Chill" on the Network. 87 was the overall better match but 88 has some historic value to it. The Demos/PoP switch at the end with Fuji and it's also the last match the Bulldogs had in the WWF (maybe North America, too?). As far as pay-per-view matches, both would probably be in my personal top ten. They highlighted just how good the tag teams were for a time.

I'd go with Warrior/Savage from WM VII. Loss is right in that it might be the best WWF match, as opposed to the best professional wrestling match.

It's the 87 one for sure. They go almost 40 minutes and you've got the likes of Bret, Tito, Greg, Martel, Haku, Bulldogs all in there working their arses off for the full time.

Plus it's a match with 20 guys in it that tells a story. I'd imagine around the **** mark which would put it on par with the best Savage vs. Dibiase matches at the very least.

I haven't seen it in years though, so could be one like Summerslam 89 Brainbusters vs Harts that blows you away at the time -- in the context of 80s WWF VHS tapes -- but isn't so hot to see now.

I prefer the 88 version, despite the clumsily executed double turn. While 88 may have the Conuistadors lasting the entire match, they were largely non-factors. 87 had the Young Stallions as seemingly the focal point of the match. Way worse IMO. 87 also had the Harts getting revenge for losing the WWF belts by eliminating Strike Force ....which the camera missed.

87 also had the Harts getting revenge for losing the WWF belts by eliminating Strike Force ....which the camera missed.

Never understood that. Would have made more sense for the two teams to have eliminated each other by having a brawl on the outside, instead of in such a tepid fashion as that. Jesse and Gorilla don't really sell it much either.

One call in the '88 match that still boggles me to this day is who the Conquistadors' manager was. Ventura says early on that each team on the Demolition side had one, and I suspect he just plain forgot about them.

Yeah, the whole deal with Hart-Doink-Lawler, with also Bruce and Owen at ringside, is very entertaining

Also, while the action between Hart and Lawler is brief, maybe five minutes only, it's the only chance we have to see Lawler in that kind of a Memphis brawl in New York. It's also a great chance to see the pissed off Bret Hart that would come back in the Diesel feud and eventually in his heel run. Even the ending of the match foreshadows WM13. It's the kind of career-long storytelling only Bret did and it's absolutely flawless in it's execution.

I'd go with Savage/Warrior at WM7. Counting the post-match angle, it's one of the best pieces of storytelling I've seen in the WWE. Maybe because I rented the VHS when I was young and loved Savage and Liz I'm pre-disposed to be a mark for it, but it's always been a touching, unique moment in wrestling to me.

I think it's worth throwing out Bret/Perfect KOTR '93 (I prefer this to the summerslam '91 match) and the Rumble 1992 match into the discussion, on top of the names already mentioned.

If you're willing to consider commentary as part of the match (and maybe some of the people who loved Reigns/Cena won't be because the commentary was all time terrible in that match) I can see a solid argument for that Flair Rumble win. It's really good already, but Heenan helps put it over the top.

Yeah, the whole deal with Hart-Doink-Lawler, with also Bruce and Owen at ringside, is very entertaining

Also, while the action between Hart and Lawler is brief, maybe five minutes only, it's the only chance we have to see Lawler in that kind of a Memphis brawl in New York. It's also a great chance to see the pissed off Bret Hart that would come back in the Diesel feud and eventually in his heel run. Even the ending of the match foreshadows WM13. It's the kind of career-long storytelling only Bret did and it's absolutely flawless in it's execution.

Yeah, this was great. To me, you almost have to put the entire segment: Lawler's coming out and interview, the doink match, then the bret/lawler match and fallout, for it to get in there, but I can absolutely see why someone would then pick it, if you do that. It was great.

Actually, the 1992 Royal Rumble match is not a bad pick for this. We've all watched it a zillion times and it never gets old. It's the most famous NWA Champion running down the entire WWF roster. You get to see all the big names of the era basically in one sitting. Not only is it an amazing match but a memorable moment with Flair winning the title and Heenan stanning for him the entire time. If this isn't a five star match you really have no soul.

Savage-Warrior is the runner-up.