Pro Wrestling Only

WWE TV September 11-17

...TG

I don't want WWE to be a wrestling first company. I'd like for them to be more like they were in 2000 where the midcard booking and storylines were pretty much on point, and the matches seemed better than they probably were because of the faith people had in the company to deliver satisfying payoffs. It was fun when it needed to be and serious when it needed to be, the crowds were hot, people believed the top guys could be beaten under the right circumstances, and the comedy was generally funny. Give me that, and I'm more than happy with WWE personally, even if the best matches top out around ***1/2 or whatever.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't want WWE to be a wrestling first company. I'd like for them to be more like they were in 2000 where the midcard booking and storylines were pretty much on point, and the matches seemed better than they probably were because of the faith people had in the company to deliver satisfying payoffs. It was fun when it needed to be and serious when it needed to be, the crowds were hot, people believed the top guys could be beaten under the right circumstances, and the comedy was generally funny. Give me that, and I'm more than happy with WWE personally, even if the best matches top out around ***1/2 or whatever.

I think that's everything right there.

I actually really miss jobber squash matches. They were good for showing you the offense/moves of a wrestler & being able to see what their actual finish is. I have fond memories of guys like Rick Rude and Tito Santana beating jobbers on Saturday mornings as a kid. I'd certainly take that over another Dean Ambrose/Miz confrontation or whatever. Especially with those picture in picture promos on top of the match too.

Apparently Jinder's promo on Nakamura didn't make the cut to WWE's YouTube page. It was something to hear the crowd chanting "that's too far" at the foreign heel cutting a racist promo at the foreign babyface.

Am I the only one thinking that they were actually chanting "That's too far" to Jinder not because they were offended but just to mock him because the segment was flat out embarrassing to watch?

Well given that they started doing the chant after a Mr Miyagi comment I believe, I think it was more a sarcastic "oh now you have done it" chant. I mean there had been borderline racist stuff on Nakamura for the last 2 shows before that and that was your tipping point? I mean if I was insulted by the racism in this angle (which I am), the "rook" stuff would have been it for me

by the way if you think it is bad for Nakamura, imagine how awful it could be for Asuka on RAW with Vince having 100% interest in the product.

Last week it was RAW, this one is Smackdown...

LgXEfbM.jpg

Taken by Wade Keller during Shane's promo.

A question no related to the photo....can we atribute SD becoming less interesting after the "superstar shakeup" - even though having a better roster than before - to the change from Ward to Road Dogg as lead writers or nah? I mean, NXT took a similar dive in quality when Ward was taken from the top writing position.

Apparently Jinder's promo on Nakamura didn't make the cut to WWE's YouTube page. It was something to hear the crowd chanting "that's too far" at the foreign heel cutting a racist promo at the foreign babyface.

Yet its probably the same fans who also wanted WWE to be more edgier too and push the envelope which is why the attitude era will never come back.

Curt Hawkins as a modern day Mario Mancini isn't the worst thing in the world.

I loved Jobber matches in the 1980s because when they had a big match on TV like Harts/POP or Perfect/Snuka it made the match stand out more. Over the years they have put far too many big matches on free TV instead of a special show or a PPV. Raw in the late 90s, 2000s or even going back to 2017 when your getting Cena/Nakamura should be saved for a PPV.

Sweet baby Jesus - the "build up" for Nakamura versus Mahal has been nothing short of atrocious. Who the hell came up with this stuff? I can't even fathom anyone brainstorming & settling on these segments as anything even remotely resembling "good" ideas. So you take the challenger and mock him for the way he speaks and the way he looks? Okay. And that's designed to draw your heat for a big title fight? Christ.

I've really tried to give the Jinder project a chance to succeed. It just feels ice cold though. People draw the obvious comparisons to the JBL push of '04, but this doesn't even come close to touching that stuff. At least JBL was cutting some killer promos - even all the way back BEFORE he initially got the belt off Eddie. Jinder just hasn't delivered on anything other than the upgraded presentation of his entrance and music. Even the small things he does decently - some of his strikes and the menacing facial expressions - aren't enough to elevate his dreadful interviews in these programs. Part of that is the booking, for sure. But a lot of the blame has to fall at his feet, too.

But yeah. I just don't get it. You take a guy like Nakamura and boost him with big wins over two of your most established guys - both Cena and Orton - in rapid succession on television. And then your big, brilliant idea to launch him into a title program is this horse shit? It's just awful. It's like witnessing every WWE television trope come to life in one aimless angle. Neither champ nor challenger feels like they have an ounce of momentum. Neither comes across as a top guy, buried beneath this garbage.

It's the top title program on SmackDown, and it's been made out to be all about bad accents, orgasmic facial expressions, and super-stale "appear on the TitanTron to distract the opponent" nonsense. I just hate every bit of it, and I can't imagine it feeling fresh or even slightly interesting to anyone at this stage.

I tend to roll my eyes when people gripe or complain about how badly WWE is going to mess up Nakamura, Asuka, etc. whenever they get called up to the main roster in the first place. But it's booking like this that completely reinforces those fears and makes it all seem appropriate enough anyhow. It's as if they just simply cannot help themselves. Nak doesn't speak flawlessly fluent English, so *of course* they'd have to mock him for it in his first big program. Right? :rolleyes:

On a positive note, I will say that I still find endless enjoyment in just about everything Rusev does. He's Bizarro Jinder - in that everything he touches is instantly elevated. He is given something, and he absolutely exceeds expectations with it right away. Even if he's being booked like a chump and a loser bell to bell most of the time, Rusev can remain over through sheer character work - and that's saying something when he's being beaten early & often on TV so much.

I'm all on board for adding Aiden English to the act as well. I certainly miss Lana as part of the package deal, but Aiden is a fun supplementary act nonetheless. I still wish the Miztourage could get more little character moments in their segments and interactions with Miz - besides just being punching bags and excuses for cheap finishes in his matches over on Raw. But it's a step in the right direction anyway.