Pro Wrestling Only

[2000-08-02-MCW Maryland] Joey Matthews & Christian York vs The Executioners vs Ghetto Mafia vs Dino Divine & Christopher Carmichael (Elimination)

soup23

It is still nice to see Matthews & York in a tag setting but this match really reminds you that there is still a lot of late 90's indie holdovers. No one besides York and Matthews showed any potential to me here and all and the match is full of just generic gimmicks and sub par action. This shows how far we have come even in replacement level indie action. York and Matthews don't even pick up the win which is atrocious. *3/4

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...

I gotta agree that this wasn't very good. Too many guys in the match and very disorganized. Matthews/York looked ok but they didn't have enough time to shine. Executioners were awful and Cueball/Divine were bland. Great to see Tara though. Big fan of her back in the day. Also, the ref is currently in WWE and sells better than everyone in this match.

• GSR changed the title to [2000-08-02-MCW Maryland] Joey Matthews & Christian York vs The Executioners vs Ghetto Mafia vs Dino Divine & Christopher Carmichael (Elimination)
  • 3 months later...

I’m not sure how much I’ll end up writing for this as I’ve never seen six of the eight before, I couldn’t make out any names in the introductions and there is no commentary to help identify anyone. Christian York and Joey Matthews, who’re the current MCW tag team champions, are introduced as being from ECW and Joey is even wearing a T-Shirt with ‘ECW’ emblazoned across it.  The heel manager of the Executioners claims that he’s a 30 year old virgin and “proud of it!” as a way to get heat.  That’s different to say the least!  The Ghetto Mafia are the first team to be eliminated after interference from Christopher Carmichael (I heard them talking to each other so that is two more identified!).  One of the Mafia looks to roll up Divine when Carmichael elbow smashes him in the face, all missed by the referee who was in the champion’s corner having words with them.  Divine then gets the pin with a folding press while placing his legs over the middle rope for added leverage.  Carmichael, Divine and the Executioners high five after the elimination as it looks like they’ve made a pact to work together here.  Matthews takes a crazy bump through the ropes to the concrete and goes about doing his fine FIP work.  After avoiding a double top rope splash he hot tags Christian York who drops Carmichael with a superkick before clotheslining Divine over the top rope to the outside.  As they look to regroup on the floor, Matthews nails them both with a suicide dive.  Combination top rope rana/big splash from opposite turnbuckles on one of the Executioners and they are out of there.  The ’30 year old virgin’ is on the apron complaining to the referee when the other Executioner KO’s York with one of the title belts.  Carmichael quickly slides into the ring to make the cover, shouts at the ref to get his attention and we have new MCW tag team champions.

I did think it strange having a York & Matthews Indy match now that they are ECW regulars, but just a case of a quick return to drop the belts, even being protected while doing so.  I can’t say any of the other six actually showed anything (with the Executioners being particularly bad) and the highlight was the Joey Matthews FIP section, which is fast becoming a regular thing.  Look out for the crazy bump to the floor he takes that leads up to that.