Pro Wrestling Only

[2000-08-05-IWA-MS-From Hardcore Hell & Back] CM Punk vs Colt Cabana

soup23

This is really the beginning of Punk's career in a way as he makes his IWA debut. They are still running in the middle of the field and we get a nice view of some of the driving choices of the IWA faithful. This match continued their development over the year as we have seen. This was the third match in the third promotion we have seen between the two and the work is crisper at most points here than in MAW in January with the exception of Punk being sloppy on a couple of spots including a monkey flip. Punk is able to get good support from the crowd although I think Hero looked more polished and resonated more in their respective debuts. The difference in their looks and gear at this point in their careers also isn't that big of a difference. The finish was abrupt with Colt being the heel throughout and picking up the win with his foot on the ropes. **3/4

• 2 months later...

Punk is still a babyface here, although I'm guessing that doesn't last long in IWA.

It sounds like Cabana is using "Gold Bond, MN" as a hometown, an early Gold Bond Mafia reference I'd assume.

The work here isn't always crisper than earlier in the year, but there's certainly a confidence that these guys are developing. They're not so bothered by a sloppy moment and keep moving nicely. They're also starting to incorporate some bigger high spots into the match without anything being too elaborate (like the tornado DDT).

• 2 weeks later...

Cabana continues to look like the more obvious prospect of the two though Punk may have the edge in engaging the crowd. Even with his sloppiness and awkward moments he has that foundation at this point and constantly gets the crowd involved, playing a real good babyface to Cabana's heel. And Punk does have his moments here where he kind of flubs a leapfrog and stumbles at a few points but his timing is good and he makes the most of his comeback spots. Cabana is solid if a bit vanilla and clearly a more natural athlete and these two have an obvious natural chemistry. Good little match with a screwy finish as Cabana steals the win here.

**1/2

• GSR changed the title to [2000-08-05-IWA-MS-From Hardcore Hell & Back] CM Punk vs Colt Cabana
  • 5 months later...

I have no idea what Punk’s entrance music is but I like it.  Oh, it’s his IWA-MS debut too.  After Punk spits in Colt’s face as retaliation for him doing the same to him moments earlier, a disgusted Cabana grabs a towel from Dave Prazak to wipe it away as he “doesn’t know where he’s been!”  You forget how quick and agile Colt actually is for a guy that doesn’t have the sleekest of physiques.  Punk fails to clear him on a leap frog, however they’re cutting such a quick pace that he’s right back on it with a bodyslam.  They trade arm drags but Punk then screws up a monkey flip.  As Cabana takes to the outside for more words of wisdom from Prazak, he’s told to “get your queer ass in the ring”.  Great release German suplex by Punk dumping Colt on the back of his head.  Prazak hooks Punk’s ankles after Colt reverses the Irish whip and as he turns around to say something top him, Cabana knees him in the back sending him careering out to the floor.  As he distracts the official, Prazak is there to put the boots to him.  Sit out double underhook suplex for a two.  Colt shows him how to do a monkey flip, but Punk lands on his feet and Cabana runs into a big boot.  Tornado DDT by Punk who bangs the mat to rally the crowd behind him.  He counters the tilt-a-whirl and an inside cradle for a near fall.  Colt misses on the top rope twisting senton as it looks like Punk’s found that second wind.  His response is a quick double leg take down/folding press, placing his feet over the ropes for extra leverage, to steal the win.  Another IWA-MS match, another that ends with the crowd chanting “bull shit”.

Between the pace they cut and the working of the crowd I enjoyed this one.  Yeah, Punk screwed up on a couple of occasions, however there was no waiting around after doing so, he was straight back into things.  Cabana still looks like the better prospect (I wonder how long we’ll be saying that for) but you can clearly see the two have got into their groove now when it comes to working together.