Pro Wrestling Only

Who's your Boy?!

Jetlag

Disco Inferno is a fave, but I'm gonna throw a curveball and also mention the team of Mortis and Wrath. Terrible gimmick, but man, Kanyon's offense was kinda sick and Wrath looked like a legit bad-ass...until he wrestled and it was clear he was not.

I'd also put Saturn on my shortlist just cuz I love the way he would kinda just pilfer other ECW guys' high spots when he got to WCW and, even into 99', wrestle as this ultra-tough bad-ass but wear bizarre shit and have matches with almost no semblance of story or build, just crazy moves and set-ups to crazy moves. It's like, did Saturn suck or not? I don't know the answer, but the dude is kinda my boy because of all the bizarre elements in his character, the angles he was involved in, and the way he laid out his matches.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll co-sign on Sandman, at least through the Mikey feud. Of course when even Paul E. and Tommy (and probably Sandman himself) are so adamant and outspoken about how shitty he was, well...

I'll not only agree on Mortis & Wrath but fuck it, I'm throwing Glacier in there as well. Always a solid worker under any guise and the Bash at the Beach '97 tag opener needs to be seen and respected by more.

Rico Constantino - though underrated, his character and presentation is deep in Boy Territory; no classic matches or legacy to speak of (apart from pinning Ric Flair!) and has turned out to be a bit...troubled as wrestlers so often are, but I would pay money to see him work while most wouldn't...which may be as much a sign of Boyness as anything.

Jim Powers. From 1990-1992 I'd have taken him over Hogan if you were sick enough to put a gun to my five year old head. After that, Gene Snitsky. In 2004 and 2005 he was fucking hilarious.

Snitsky's a good pick. I like him because he's a local guy.

I'll also add Gary Albright. Has been in some matches that are universally considered great (except by those who hate UWFI and its style) but rarely gets more credit for them than his opponent. A big scary guy who suplexes motherfuckers will never, ever get old to me. A better worker than John Tenta (among big '90s guys) or Rick Steiner (among bullying suplex machines), in my view.

I am going to go with Disco Inferno. From the absolute absurdity of his using a giant disco ball to beat Kurasawa, to his needing a booklet to apply his leglock properly, to his wannabe NWO status, to his amazing stuff as a Filthy Animal, to making his music video to mock Konnan, he was a comedy highlight of WCW.

WWF guy would be the Warlord but that's probably only because of his Phantom of the Opera mask to be honest. And the giant W staff because for years I have wanted to buy that for my best wrestling friend Will as a gag.

Mordecai: Thought the zealot gimmick had a ton of potential and wasn't like anything I had seen before.

Hirooki Goto: Not great, but I think he has some good matches to his name. He may be a sad-sack loser, but he's MY sad-sack loser.

The Ascension: Really dug the look, the theme, and their aura of intimidation from NXT.

Glacier: Played as him once in Revenge and just liked him ever since.

Tye Dillinger: Yes he sucks and is only over because of a chant, but I just find him likable.

Maven, I marked for him all the way and loved any time he got near the main event scene, and Alex Riley who I wished would have been the breakout star of 2011.

Maven was great and what made him so special was he was on the first tough enough and worked his way to a contract. When he bagged the Hardcore Belt and eliminated Taker at the Rumble and beat him on Smackdown I hoped Maven would have had a run with the IC belt.

Viscera in any form. Mabel, King Mabel, Big Daddy V, it's all good.

Also, Chaz Taylor. There's just something so lovably stupid about him.

Big Vis is a good one although I think he probably would've been more respected if he was in a different era. A big fat guy that can throw a nice spinning heel kick would probably get over like gangbusters today.

That's the whole point of the thread…

Which is why I could also pick Barry Darsow. I kinda like him, although he basically sucked in every incarnation he's ever been in. ;)

But I definitely could pick WWF Bravo too, if only because french announcer Eddie Carpentier would pimp the hell out of him as a major star and player all the time back then. And 14 years old me was buying to every word Carpentier was saying.

That's the whole point of the thread…

Which is why I could also pick Barry Darsow. I kinda like him, although he basically sucked in every incarnation he's ever been in. ;)

But I definitely could pick WWF Bravo too, if only because french announcer Eddie Carpentier would pimp the hell out of him as a major star and player all the time back then. And 14 years old me was buying to every word Carpentier was saying.

As a kid my boy was Barry Horowitz as digged his checkered blue or Black & Green trunks he wore. Marked the hell out when he beat Chris Candido on Wrestling Challenge and then the undefeated Hakushi.

After he had been a jobber for years and then got a sort of push alough im suprised they never put a belt on him, kinda wanted him to be IC champ in the autumn months of 1995.

As a kid my boy was Barry Horowitz as digged his checkered blue or Black & Green trunks he wore. Marked the hell out when he beat Chris Candido on Wrestling Challenge and then the undefeated Hakushi.

Same here. Always loved Horowitz and was glad he got a little bit of a push then. Horowitz was the perfect guy for the job, could work, bump, give you a solid match whomever he worked against, had a good look, had character. A unsung hero of US pro-wrestling if the late 80's/90's.