Pro Wrestling Only

[2017-09-24-WWE-No Mercy] Brock Lesnar vs Braun Strowman

GOTNW

This match was dumb. By far the most interesting about it coming in was how they were going to reconcile protecting Braun with the likely result of him not winning the title, and they ended up with a solution that accomplished nothing. Braun overpowered Lesnar early on, which was his one advantage over Lesnar (as is over everyone), but we've seen Lesnar in that position a bunch of times already. As soon as Lesnar grabbed the arm on the Double Wristlock and started spamming Germans the idea Strowman was just another challenge for him to overcome started clearing up, and that's exactly what happened. Lesnar's back being "injured" was dumb-an attempt to put over Strowman as causing damage only made the match look more ridiculous, as an injured Lesnar suplexed Strowman numerous times after not being able to do so forever, then did the same thing with the F5 (which he also couldn't hit earlier on). Strowman got his finisher efficency ruined and lost clean in a match where the most memorable thing was Lesnar taking a bump to the outside through the ropes. Blarh. The exhaustion selling after the match is analogous to a cheating spuse promising change-"See! He's tired! Look what it took for him to beat him! We know what we're doing! This is fine! Wait to see where it leads to! It will get better!" **1/2

I have a somewhat mixed feelings on this match. On one hand, I thought it was really good. A borderline great match that would've hit the ****+ mark had there been more heat to it. Lesnar's performance was great with him selling the damage Braun had done to his back super well. But then on the other hand, the booking was absolute dogshit. This could've & should've been so much more - it shouldn't have ended with just one F5, and goddamn, if it had to end with just one F5, they could've built to that in more dramatic, epic fashion. The great build to this match deserved that. But it is whatever - I didn't really expect this to be anything more than what it ended up being. I enjoyed it a lot. ***3/4

Really poor main event. The opening minute was slow but promising, but it went nowhere. Lesnar puts Strowman in a kimura despite them being in the ropes for a hell of a long time but the ref doesn't force a break. Brock eventually pulls him away and then we get Strowman slowly reaching and struggling till he gets to the ropes to force a break. What. If that wasn't awkward enough we then later got Braun on the ground feeding Brock for a triangle choke or something but Brock just laid on his back doing nothing. Then we get the usual rolling German suplexes and F-5 to win for Brock after he kicked out of Strowman's super protected finisher multiple times.

Bad. *3/4

SLB liked it too so I guess I'm not alone but I actually thought this was a great match, better than any of the Roman/Braun matches and even Brock/Joe. I'll admit the finish was anticlimatic and a little weak, this was one of the instances where 1-2 more finishers kickouts (by Braun) were needed. Still, awesome Brock performance ranging from his initial mannerisms that put Braun over as a serious threat to stuff like his back giving out due to the accumulated damage to him generally getting dominated. The corner arm bump and desperation kimura was a great transition to level the playing field so to speak. Braun's arm selling was pretty amazing, he sold it like it was preventing him executing his finisher properly and how it cost him precious seconds while he was going for the pin (which sort of accounts for the repeated kickouts of the finishers). So I thought, apart from the finish, Braun came out looking pretty strong. ****

Edit: Superstar Sleeze liked this match as well so that makes 3.

• GSR changed the title to [2017-09-24-WWE-No Mercy] Brock Lesnar vs Braun Strowman