Pro Wrestling Only

[2000-08-12-Osaka Pro] Masato Yakushiji vs Takehiro Murahama

soup23

Another Murahama singles match. Give it to me. I continue to appreciate how the technical notion is on display with these matches as well as the strategies each man is developing to try to garner the victory. Yakushuji is able to work well on the mat here until he gets caught with a high kick from Takehiro. He knows he will need to avoid that in the future so the match develops with a lot of distance and it all being based on whether Murahama can cork off that knockout blow or submission. He hits it later on in the match but Yakushuji is able to reach down deep and break the armlock submission. Yaku then absolutely annihilates Murahama on a German. Murahama hits one more kick and tries to shake out the cobwebs looking for another submission. They show he hasn’t recovered all the way with Yakushuji elbowing out. Spinning kick for Murahama and he is really running around with his jumping high kicks nearly gaining the win. When it looks like Murahama finally has the match at hand, Yakushuji is able to do a spear/rollup mixture to win the match. I consider this a pretty big upset but it made sense based off of the match layout. ***3/4 (7.6)

• 1 month later...

It's Yakushuji in his Bruce Lee gear vs. a rainbow pants wearing shooter. Pro wrestling is great. This was a cool indy match with some shootstyle moves interwoven. Murahama almost KO's Yakushuji in the opening and from then on it's mostly Murahama dominating and pushing Yakushuji closer to the upset. I really liked Yakushuji's super fast and out of nowhere spin kicks that he uses as game changers here, but I thought he may have oversold a little (doing a KO sell for a Murahama kick to the shoulder) and due to Murahama's greenness there was some noticable stumbling around/hesitation/wondering what to do at times. I also thought the match was lacking in vicious retaliation to be GREAT. Still liked this a lot, Yakushuji looked super cool in his role.

• 2 months later...

I was not that high on this. Much of this felt very aimless to me, like little more than individual moves or runs of offense traded back and forth without much consequence or build. The strikes were good, the dives were good, and the intensity was there. But I thought Masato was kind of sloppy and there was just no bigger sense of work here than two guys trading back and forth. It was fine but I guess I expected something more substantial. Clever finish to give Masato the win though.

**3/4

• 4 weeks later...

I wasn't expecting much from this but it turned out to be a decent display. Never underestimate Masato Yakushuiji. He may not look the way you imagine a pro-wrestler should but he was blessed with amazing speed and quickness. The match didn't play to Murahama's strengths so it was less interesting than some of the work he's done with other Osaka Pro talent but it was reasonably fluid nonetheless.

• 2 weeks later...

This was alright. There was definitely some awkwardness to this and some weird delayed selling from Yakushuji but he also managed to keep it entertaining with some of his out-of-nowhere dives or spin kicks. And at one point, he kills Murahama with a release German suplex that seemed unexpected, trying to follow that up with the Anaconda Vice. Not Murahama's best performance but still a decent enough showing.

• GSR changed the title to [2000-08-12-Osaka Pro] Masato Yakushiji vs Takehiro Murahama