Pro Wrestling Only

WWE TV 10/2 - 10/8

Microstatistics

They already did this in 1991 with Virgil's "sister" Virgilina. :) I'm looking forward to the second version if that's true.

Zayn strikes me as a natural babyface in a traditional pro wrestling setting, but that kind of shit doesn't matter so much now, so he might make it work, and he's going nowhere, so it's worth a shot if that's where they're going. That said, who knows? They teased Ambrose turning on Reigns for months in 2015 and never did anything. Teases mean nothing.

Zayn going heel sounds like a terrible idea to me and I'm not even hip on every current SmackDown storyline. To me, if you have nothing for him, your better bet is to pull him off TV for a minute and then re-push him as a Royal Rumble long shot rather than kill whatever good will he does have with an ill-advised heel turn that will last what? 3 months? And get him where? The midcard? How many more Zayn shirts will they sell with him As a heel? The upside for Zayn as is, the midcard babyface underdog, still outweighs the upside for him as Kevin Owens' second.

It's crazy. The whole "we don't have anything for you" mentality that came with the writers era is putting backstage incompetence above the talent of the workers themselves. There's no "getting yourself over" anymore. Zayn turning heel is head-scratching, it's like Ricky Morton or Ricky Steamboat turning heel. Zayn is a born babyface. They don't know how to push him because they are dumb as fuck and have no idea how to book the simplest thing, like an underdog babyface. Add to that the idiotic merchandising policy (ohh, this guy with no cool merch around doesn't sell shit, he's not worth pushing), I don't see how a heel turn will help Zayn, unless he can show great quality in the role, who knows (I thought Morton did well with the crappy heel turn he was given in WCW).

We have to remember that it's 2017 WWE. If he's turned heel, he will still be cheered and still wrestle the exact same type of match. His opponents will change and he'll probably get more scripted promo time. He might also make some cosmetic changes. We should just call it a repackaging. AJ Styles has turned twice in less than two years and nothing about him has particularly changed at all.

The thing is that Sami Zayn - given the right gimmick - can be an effective heel. I've seen it with my very own eyes back in his early days on the Quebec indy circuit. He had a gangsta character called Big Larry (which was more of a comedy character) but it worked. The Sami Zayn character itself can't really work as a heel unless there's something drastic happening. But to say that Sami couldn't pull off a heel gimmick is absolutely false.