RIP Lance Russell

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#21 Sean Liska

Sean Liska
  • Members
  • 1368 posts

Posted 03 October 2017 - 01:48 PM

Dave Meltzer just put up a show on Lance - if you're a subscriber it's great stuff. His affection for Lance is touching, it's so cool that the guy we loved on TV was just as great in real life, that's pretty rare.

#22 ohtani's jacket

ohtani's jacket
  • DVDVR 80s Project
  • 5848 posts

Posted 03 October 2017 - 03:45 PM

I'm happy he lived to a ripe old age and that he got to hear from a younger generation how much they appreciated his work. He was always such a gentlemen when he'd appear on a podcast and completely down to earth. He may have been a performer on Memphis television but he had no gimmick other than being himself. He had a wonderful voice and thankfully his work will always be there for people to enjoy. 

#23 Ricky Jackson

Ricky Jackson

The Only 5 Time Champion

• Members
  • 3036 posts
  • Interests:Wrestling, music, comics, beer, movies, history, sports...good manly stuff.

Posted 03 October 2017 - 06:51 PM

Much like Bruno, there was nothing fake about Lance Russell in the fake world of wrestling, and that's what made him great. RIP

#24 sek69

sek69

Winnipeg Arena's gonna be on fire

• Members
  • 10989 posts

Posted 03 October 2017 - 07:09 PM

Is there anything better in wrestling than Lance's exasperated reaction to Memphis heels?  He managed to sound like both a disappointed dad and a substitute teacher that's completely lost control of their class.

#25 ButchReedMark

ButchReedMark

#TogetherStronger

• Members
  • 654 posts

Posted 03 October 2017 - 08:49 PM

Lance Russell never spoke at us, or even to us, he spoke with us. He commentated like he was sat next to us on the settee, like watching with a friend. The best of all time.

#26 Sean Liska

Sean Liska
  • Members
  • 1368 posts

Posted 07 October 2017 - 05:52 PM

Shit I miss Lance Russell.

#27 Kronos

Kronos

Space Mountain

• Members
  • 1147 posts

Posted 23 October 2017 - 06:52 PM

My favourite announcer ever. One of my favourite segments they ever ran in Memphis was when Curt Hennig had - I think - just lost the AWA belt to Lawler and came down to the studio demanding Lawler come out and face him. The longer it went without Lawler showing up the more aggressive Hennig got, and it reached the point where he even put his hands on Lance. The way Lance played his part in it was the perfect straight man performance and when he loses his own composure and calls Hennig a hoodlum I lose it every time. He was the very best. And I agree with Childs that he was as big a part of what made Memphis Memphis as Lawler or Dundee or anybody else.

"You're acting like a hoodlum!"

#28 KB8

KB8
  • Members
  • 915 posts

Posted 26 October 2017 - 10:40 AM

Man, it's even better than I remembered. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users