Pro Wrestling Only

[2000-09-02-OVW-TV] Nick Dinsmore & Damaja vs Disciples of Synn (Slash & Damien)

soup23

Cool to see Wolfie in OVW here in the Disciples of Synn tag team. Damaja and Dinsmore start off hot and Dinsmore looks strong with a double clothesline. The heels take over with some powder in the eyes from Synn and like usual we get a perfectly fine OVW match that is marred by Cornette screaming and a bevy of run ins at the finish. Cornette tells us Jim Ross is on commentary with them next week and I can’t even imagine how loud that broadcast will be. The run ins here weren’t the most egregious we have seen with Flash Flanagan impressing. **

• 5 months later...

Pretty solid tag before all the shenanigans. Cornette really is going in just constant overdrive with the volume and the words per minute and the hyperbole. More than anything I just continue to think that Nick Dinsmore is impossibly hateable. It's unfathomable to me how anybody is supposed to cheer for this guy.

*3/4

• 2 weeks later...

Slash & Damien ‘the Disciples of Synn’ are accompanied to the ring by Synn and some character called Judas. Test of strength that Slash is coming out on the wrong end of, so he bites Dinsmore’s hand and turns it into a full nelson. Dinsmore slips out, hooks Slash’s arms and cradles him for an early two count. Nice hammerlock escape and reversal by Dinsmore, all while Cornette is screaming how the DoS will come out on the losing end if they try to wrestle ‘Mr Wrestling’. A miscommunication sees Slash run into Damien, and Dinsmore drops them both with a double clothesline. Double Russian leg sweep on Damien that is swiftly followed by a belly to back suplex. Slash with the blind tag, but Damaja is aware of it and catches him with an inverted atomic drop. Boot to the mid-section of Damien before he catapults Slash into this own partner. Lionsault by Dinsmore and Damien has recovered in time to break up the pin. As referee Robert Briscoe tries to get Damaja out of the ring and onto the apron, Judas throws powder in the face of ‘Mr Wrestling’. ‘Rude Awakening’ neckbreaker but, instead of doing his job, Briscoe is now conversing with the fans who’re apparently telling him what he just missed. Despite there being no evidence whatsoever, their word is enough for him and he ejects Judas from ringside. A quick commercial break and we return as Dinsmore hits a German suplex on Slash. That doesn’t take much out of him though and he’s able to execute the ‘Alleycopter’, dumping Dinsmore to the mat. Big spinebuster by Damien and ‘Mr Wrestling’ barely gets a shoulder up in time. Double chokeslam before Slash goes to town with his array of strikes in the corner. The DoS have Dinsmore set for their finisher when Damaja rushes into the ring and rocket launches Slash into the official. Yup, wasn’t going to be long until he got bumped! A ‘Cactus clothesline’ takes Slash and Dinsmore out of there, Damaja with a flapjack on Damien and now here’s Synn, about to throw fire (which Cornette had been dropping not so subtle hints about in commentary) at him. He snatches her before she’s able to, then takes an eternity playing to the crowd about whether he should DDT her or not. Of course that’s a stall job and he’s just waiting for the customary interference. It’s Robbie D who jumps off the top and nails Damaja in the back of the head with a metal tray. Damien drops an elbow and the DoS retain the gold. B.J. Payne makes the post-match save for the faces, but Synn ends up spraying an aerosol in his face. That brings out Flash, who had been burned previously by Synn, and he cleans house.

A match I was enjoying an awful lot until the ref bump; you know by now it’s coming, but it’s still bloody annoying when they do. Once I’ve finished my watching for the year I’m going to go back and count the number of OVW matches that featured them and will hazard a guess now it’ll be over 75%. Dinsmore and Slash had really good chemistry together and I liked the opening section they worked together. Damien is not a patch on his partner, but he just about holds his end up. I wasn’t a fan of Slash’s neckbreaker (which is his finisher in Memphis) being nothing more than a transitional move here though. Jim Cornette is still not coming up for air and shouting his way through the match. The Flash save at the end should have been a big deal, but Cornette calls that in the same loud tones that he’s been calling the match. As a result it all merges together and doesn’t have the same impact had he spoken normally even for a few seconds before his arrival.

• 2 months later...

First I've seen of Dinsmore pre-Eugene. He reminds me of Matt Borne, in that everything small detail he does is interesting. I remember now how disheartening it was for him to be wasted as Eugene. Not that he didn't do anything on the main roster, but I wish he'd had a chance to play a Mr. Wrestling type role. He'd have done well as a Tim Woods tribute act.

There were some fantastic tag maneuvers here, which is not a surprise with Cornette booking. Both teams had very fun, creative double-teams and there were a number of cool one on two attacks with Dinsmore and Damaja using the Disciples against each other.

Cornette is unbearable on commentary. I've been watching some Attitude Era Raw's where he's fantastic and I think the difference is here he's the lead announcer overwhelming Dean Hill. With Jim Ross, Cornette has a lot more back and forth. Here he's just screaming and calling every single move and it's exhausting.

• GSR changed the title to [2000-09-02-OVW-TV] Nick Dinsmore & Damaja vs Disciples of Synn (Slash & Damien)
  • 2 weeks later...

Flash turns more and more into Dolph Ziggler every OVW match I see with him. The disciples make a good tag team and I didn't hate this because it didn't feature walking tall refs. I can see why they kept Dinsmore as a babyface because it would work in 1988. However, in 2000, that character was a heel and he should have traded places with Conway or Flash.