• Please log in to reply
88 replies to this topic

#41 Matt D

Matt D

4:40

• Members
  • 10390 posts

Posted 08 October 2017 - 08:54 PM

Part of me wonders if we're not getting Cena vs Shane at Mania one of these years.

#42 hammerva

hammerva
  • Members
  • 1811 posts

Posted 08 October 2017 - 08:54 PM

Shane hasn't taught his kids now to sell a beat down yet.  One of them was laughing right in the camera 

#43 The Thread Killer

The Thread Killer

The Canadian Wildman

• Members
  • 1091 posts

Posted 08 October 2017 - 08:58 PM

That Roode/Ziggler match was not so good.  I don't know if it was because nobody gives a crap about Ziggler anymore, or if it's because Roode isn't catching on with the fans, but whatever the reason, that match just didn't connect with anybody...and I had thought the crowd was pretty loud otherwise tonight.

As far as this Main Event? So far, bleh.  Shane's punches are so lame, and he looks so sloppy with everything he does. (As so he should, since he's not really a wrestler.)  Owens just doesn't do it for me, either.  If only shouting made you good, Owens would be great. 

Are my ears deceiving me, or are some fans cheering Owens?

#44 NintendoLogic

NintendoLogic

Grim and frostbitten

• Members
  • 2785 posts

Posted 08 October 2017 - 09:04 PM

I can't think of anyone who has been in multiple high-profile PPV marches with worse strikes than Shane McMahon.

#45 hammerva

hammerva
  • Members
  • 1811 posts

Posted 08 October 2017 - 09:10 PM

I can't think of anyone who has been in multiple high-profile PPV marches with worse strikes than Shane McMahon.

I will always say that no matter how awful his punches and MMA is he can still kick CM Punk's ass in an UFC fight

#46 Childs

Childs
  • Moderators
  • 4463 posts

Posted 08 October 2017 - 09:11 PM

These Shane cell matches are so boring. Just do your death wish spot and release us you entitled prick.

#47 hammerva

hammerva
  • Members
  • 1811 posts

Posted 08 October 2017 - 09:22 PM

Stunned that this cage is holding up to all these moves.  

And the camera almost missed the damn fall.   Chances are they won't miss this one from Shane.  Shane landed on his fucking shoulder.   That was so worse than the Taker fall 

In a night where the camera work has been horrible, the reveal of Sami as the guy who help Kevin was perfect

#48 Strummer

Strummer
  • Members
  • 4155 posts

Posted 08 October 2017 - 09:36 PM

Kevin Steen and El Generico are now the top heels on Smackdown

#49 NintendoLogic

NintendoLogic

Grim and frostbitten

• Members
  • 2785 posts

Posted 08 October 2017 - 09:36 PM

Thanks to Shane, future generations are going to wonder what the big deal was about Foley getting thrown off the cell.

#50 The Thread Killer

The Thread Killer

The Canadian Wildman

• Members
  • 1091 posts

Posted 08 October 2017 - 09:54 PM

To me, there is just something fundamentally stupid and wrong-headed with headlining a Pay Per View with that match.  Aside from everything else, if you watch it totally dispassionately it just wasn't a very good match. It was way too long, and it was sloppy and dangerous.  There is no need to put guys at that kind of risk, screwing around up there on top of that cage, 20 feet in the air.  It's not safe, and it conditions the fans to expect stupid, pointless bumps.  And on top of all that, one of the participants isn't even really a wrestler.  I just think the whole thing is stupid.

#51 EricR

EricR
  • DVDVR 80s Project
  • 783 posts

Posted 08 October 2017 - 10:04 PM

I really liked Owens/Shane, and I think I have hated every other Shane cosplay main event. This PPV overall was my favorite one in quite some time. 

#52 The Thread Killer

The Thread Killer

The Canadian Wildman

• Members
  • 1091 posts

Posted 08 October 2017 - 10:15 PM

Thanks to Shane, future generations are going to wonder what the big deal was about Foley getting thrown off the cell.

Excellent point, and I think that is another reason why I philosophically didn't agree with this match.  What Foley did was special and unique, and it's being diluted and devalued for no constructive reason.  It's not like Shane McMahon needs to do stuff like that to add to his illustrious wrestling career.  I really don't get the point of his doing bumps like that, other than raising the "stupid bump" bar for no reason.

Overall, I thought this was actually a pretty good show, but I have some issues with that Main Event.

#53 Dylan Waco

Dylan Waco
  • Moderators
  • 10189 posts

Posted 08 October 2017 - 10:19 PM

Was honestly my favorite WWE ppv of the year.  I tend to be way off from a lot of folks thoughts on this board nowadays so I rarely comment at length, but I didn't think there was a match on the show worse than decent (didn't see the pre-show match).  People can say what they want about Jinder v. Nak but it was heated and I can't say that for the women's match that is being praised (which i also liked for structure reasons, but it really was Divas era level in terms of crowd response).  I have no clue if Shane v. Owens was good or bad.  But I was on the edge of my seat watching it.  For spectacle guys with bad cardio that was a vastly more entertaining offering than what we got out of Brock v. Braun.  I wouldn't blame anyone for hating it, but if Shane insists on wresting, Owens is one of the few guys on the roster I don't mind him wrestling at all.  Usos and New Day killed it and managed to do a bunch of creative stuff with an excellent finish.  Corbin winning the title is dumb since he gets no reaction when hitting great spots on AJ Styles, but the match was as good a triple threat match as I've seen in recent memory and an all time great AJ performance.  I was also happy for Tye to get the match.  Rusev and Orton was a solid match with a nice finish.  Roode v. Dolph was just average, and I hate that the feud is continuing, but it wasn't terrible and that was the worst thing on the show. 

#54 C.S.

C.S.
  • Members
  • 1931 posts

Posted 08 October 2017 - 11:17 PM

I fell asleep and missed it live. I just finished watching it. I cherry-picked what I watched, but I think I picked the right stuff.

I watched New Day/Usos (very creative), Natalya/Charlotte (good until the finish), and KO/Shane (more below). I skipped the rest of the matches because I knew exactly how they would end and I was right.

I think I'm going to watch all PPVs like this from now on, because it was so much more enjoyable this way and so much less of a slog.

I personally thought the main event was AWESOME. As a spectacle/stunt show, it delivered. And that Sami Zayn turn, as horrid as it sounded on paper, was really well-executed.

#55 fakeplastictrees

fakeplastictrees
  • Members
  • 763 posts

Posted 08 October 2017 - 11:22 PM

Usos/New Day was a great opener to the show and didn't feel too contrived. There was personality and no sacrifice of a heated exchange and will to win. Loved it. Watching Roode/Ziggler wrestle to silence was pretty sad. I think they would both work best as a heel tag team and not feuding with each other. As a man who did not enjoy the Natalie/Charlotte match from NXT and believe it to be one of the most overrated WWE matches of the last 5 years--this PPV match did nothing for me. I still believe Natalie is employed based purely off of her name and relationship to the Hart family. Cringeworthy at her worse and passable at her best. The main event was bad. Everything that I hate about HIAC all rolled up into one match. Breaking out of the cage, spots for the sake of spots (with absolutely no urgency), and of course the mandatory cage dive. The Zayn turn was interesting and unexpected. We shall see what happens with that.

As far as Rusev is concerned...I feel bad for the guy. He is a good worker and good promo and yet WWE can't really find anything for him to do. Wrestling Randy Orton at a PPV isn't considered 'something'. Not to mention,  wrestling Orton is a really bad spot for anyone to be in. I will wish Rusev had the spot Jinder currently holds. Matches against Nakamura, Styles, Sami, and a motivated Orton could have been really fun. Toss in a few "Bulgarian Challenges" (jobber matches) and usual Rusev greatness (receiving the key to the city) and it would be a reign to remember!

#56 Tim Evans

Tim Evans
  • Members
  • 4089 posts

Posted 08 October 2017 - 11:50 PM

Rusev needs to go the Drew Mcintyre route. He's never going to be pushed when he's with Lana. Go on the indies and make them want to hire you back.

Thought the show was really good overall. Both Cell matches delivered. I can see why people hate Shane matches but I love them. Just crazy spotfests. Only match I didn't like was Roode/Ziggler. Ziggler is probably the worst guy on the roster not named Noam Dar.

#57 sek69

sek69

Winnipeg Arena's gonna be on fire

• Members
  • 10576 posts

Posted 09 October 2017 - 12:07 AM

Rusev is literally everything Vince usually drools over, a big guy who can work and even can (usually) make the comedy stuff work as well. Yet he remains directionless and the best use they can come up with for him is generic foreign heel. Maybe theres still resentment that they couldnt break up him and Lana.

#58 iamthedoctor

iamthedoctor
  • Members
  • 858 posts

Posted 09 October 2017 - 01:04 AM

Hopefully when Smackdown airs on Tuesday Shane fires Sami for that stunt he pulled.

I really wanted Shane to win considering he hasent won a single match since hes come back.

#59 Alucard

Alucard
  • Members
  • 299 posts

Posted 09 October 2017 - 02:38 AM

Hopefully when Smackdown airs on Tuesday Shane fires Sami for that stunt he pulled.

I really wanted Shane to win considering he hasent won a single match since hes come back.

Agreed on both accounts. Of the Shane matches, this felt like the one he could've come away with the win considering he was avenging Vince and all. 

#60 El-P

El-P

NFLTG

• Members
  • 9004 posts

Posted 09 October 2017 - 04:40 AM

Soooooooo.....

Usos vs New Day was simply a terrific opener. I love garbage brawls. Old ECW fan. The only thing that was missing was blood, but they made up for it with sheer brutality and drama moments. A wee bit too demonstrative at times (as in overproduced), but the accumulative effect for the slaughter, with regularly working big spots that were creative yet not cutesy, erased that feeling overall. Hell, I'd say MOTYC for WWE.

That's it. It was a great PPV.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users