Pro Wrestling Only

[1981-01-18-CWA-Mid-South Coliseum] Jerry Lawler vs Jos LeDuc

paul sosnowski

Memphis is my favorite wrestling ever and I don’t think I’ve ever seen this so we’re off to a fantastic start. The lights go out, the Superman theme plays, and Lawler rappels from the ceiling! This has to be the coolest entrance of the 80s. Lawler gets more early offense than you would expect in a Lawler vs. monster match. We get clipped and skip to the strap coming down and comeback. This doesn’t seem like a great Lawler match, haven’t seen enough LeDuc to know if I should be disappointed.

Cool post-match stip. Hart gets to whip Lawler 10 times, and at any point Lawler can agree to leave the territory to end his beating. So it’s the Sandman-Dreamer caning dynamic. At 9 whips, LeDuc grabs the belt and starts hammering Lawler, leading to a chaotic brawl. The match wasn’t much but the entrances and post-match are quality Memphis.

• GSR changed the title to [1981-01-18-CWA-Mid-South Coliseum] Jerry Lawler vs Jos LeDuc
  • 2 years later...

The crowd was into this and the action felt heated but this comes off as more of an angle than a match, and the way that storylines play out so quickly given the way the territory is structured, it just falls into the category of yet another chapter in the ongoing feud between Lawler and Hart. It doesn’t help matters that LeDuc is one-and-done, not returning to the territory again until 1984. A decent watch, but not anything worth going out of your way to find and see.

Check out my full write-up of this match, one of the entries in my 365 Wrestling project.