Pro Wrestling Only

[1986-10-04-WWF-Saturday Night's Main Event] Ricky Steamboat vs Jake Roberts (Snake Pit)

Superstar Sleeze

Ricky Steamboat vs Jake "The Snake" Roberts - SNME 10/4/86 Snakepit Match

Man, Jake The Snake should only be allowed to wrestle Steamboat. I usually find the Snakeman to be completely devoid of energy and his matches to be plodding borefests, but I have loved these Steamboat matches. It is not just The Dragon either. Roberts actually looks motivated! He is bumping and running! WHAT!?!? The shine is great loved Steamboat ducking Roberts punches and chopping him. Great bumps by Roberts throughout the shine. Just lots of energy. Steamboat is on fire. He looks to end it early with a big splash from the top, but Roberts gets the knees up. Great heat segment ensues not just because Steamboat is the king of selling because Jake is vicious. He gets a gutbuster and is just nasty working the ribs. I would have liked to see some DDT teases, but the work on the ribs was great. Finish is out of nowhere just a crucifix just as the match was really getting good. It was SNME so you knew it be short, but hot damn this was building nicely until abrupt finish. They tease the DDT on the concrete, which is what started this feud on May edition of SNME, but Steamboat gets out and he pulls out his dragon (looked like a small alligator) to scare off Jake & Damien. Thus this was the TV blowoff to their feud. One of the best Jake Roberts performance I have ever seen both in bumping on offense! ***3/4

• GSR changed the title to [1986-10-04-WWF-Saturday Night's Main Event] Ricky Steamboat vs Jake Roberts (Snake Pit)