• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

#21 sek69

sek69

Winnipeg Arena's gonna be on fire

• Members
  • 11148 posts

Posted 31 October 2017 - 03:39 PM

Yeah, it's weird how the discussions go when it involves the women. A male heel booked like Alexa would get crucifed, but when it happens in the women's division it's WWE's fault for ruining the babyfaces. I like Alexa but she's basically been Stephanie'ing the whole roster so far. 

#22 Matt D

Matt D

4:40

• Members
  • 11230 posts

Posted 31 October 2017 - 03:51 PM

How much input do you think she has in things relative to 02 Hunter or King of the Mountain Jarrett or whatever?

#23 Alucard

Alucard
  • Members
  • 374 posts

Posted 31 October 2017 - 05:24 PM

In most cases, she's only winning the blowoffs, she isn't winning everything every week. Coming from SDL (where she put over Naomi three straight times on the way out), she comes to RAW and beats Bayley quick for the title to establish her on Raw.

From there she went in to the Sasha feud, where she lost by countout at Great Balls of Fire, got pinned in a tag the next night, lost clean to Bayley the following week, and then lost the title to Sasha at Summerslam with no wins in between. Then she regains the title in the only time she ever beat Sasha. After that it was back to losing tags and a clean singles loss to Nia on Raw before No Mercy.

Now she only looks strong because she retained in a four way and has two straight wins over Mickie James, who had basically been brought back as the veteran to put others over, which I believe is only being done to build her up some to feed to Asuka. The fact that when she does win, is usually a clean win, is actually refreshing to me. I think she's one of the best talkers in the company but as far as not losing promo battles, I feel like Mickie punked her out almost weekly in their feud including laying her out with her finish just last week.

Personally, I'm a big Alexa fan and feel like a lot of some peoples resentment towards her push has been because it's finally pushed Bayley to the background somewhat. Everyone else in the division is kept pretty strong. Alexa beat Sasha one time ever, hasn't beat Nia, etc. Asuka's there now, Mickie got more usage in this feud than she has since returning and even Alicia Fox is getting used this month.

#24 Kadaveri

Kadaveri
  • Members
  • 195 posts

Posted 31 October 2017 - 06:39 PM

I know Kane has always been safe with it and hasn't hurt anyone that I'm aware of, but for whatever reason when he did it to Rollins and Ambrose and the one on the stage they weren't as safe looking as I'm used to seeing from him.  Maybe that's just me, but it seems like he's always been good at taking it on his knees and protecting the head, and on these it seemed like the head was dangerously close to taking at least half the impact

but again, maybe that's just me and I need to go back and rewatch

I've just rewatched the tombstone on the stage and Finn's head doesn't connect at all. Kane's safe.

Alucard - I think you're underestimating the significance of Alexa winning in the end. It's backwards booking for a heel to yes suffer setbacks but always gets the last laugh. There aren't many movies where the hero wins some battles in the beginning/middle but then loses to the villain at the end.

#25 FMKK

FMKK
  • Members
  • 1084 posts

Posted 31 October 2017 - 07:08 PM

I know Kane has always been safe with it and hasn't hurt anyone that I'm aware of, but for whatever reason when he did it to Rollins and Ambrose and the one on the stage they weren't as safe looking as I'm used to seeing from him.  Maybe that's just me, but it seems like he's always been good at taking it on his knees and protecting the head, and on these it seemed like the head was dangerously close to taking at least half the impact

but again, maybe that's just me and I need to go back and rewatch

I've just rewatched the tombstone on the stage and Finn's head doesn't connect at all. Kane's safe.

Alucard - I think you're underestimating the significance of Alexa winning in the end. It's backwards booking for a heel to yes suffer setbacks but always gets the last laugh. There aren't many movies where the hero wins some battles in the beginning/middle but then loses to the villain at the end.

It's not particularly backwards booking to have a sustained heel title run. It's clearly a set up to job her to either Nia or Asuka in the end so I see no issue with building her up strong to lead into that.

#26 Matt D

Matt D

• Members
  • 11230 posts

Posted 31 October 2017 - 07:27 PM

I always felt 98 Jericho won a ton, but that was part of what kept his heat so big for a payoff. Likewise Rush in Mexico right now. The payoff there will be a huge match at an anniversary a few years down the line. The difference is that i can almost promise you they don't have the first idea for a payoff with Bliss.

#27 Loss

Loss
  • Admins
  • 44062 posts

Posted 31 October 2017 - 07:34 PM

If they have Kane for one more run, the 100% correct use of him is to feed him to Braun. These segments are not putting Kane over, they are putting Braun over in the long haul. Of course, Kane has been around way longer than any wrestler should probably ever be in one place -- imagine Superstar Graham, Bobby Duncum, or Spiros Arion headlining in 1996 WWF -- but time also moves slower than it used to.

#28 sek69

sek69

• Members
  • 11148 posts

Posted 31 October 2017 - 07:52 PM

I love how there's zero reason for anyone to care what show they are on until they build to SS, then suddenly everyone's ride or die.  Other than Angle, who was just told his job was on the line, why would anyone else care? Do they get a brand supremacy bonus on the next check?  Something that's literally never mentioned 11 months out of the year suddenly becomes so important that heels and faces  band together.

#29 Matt D

Matt D

• Members
  • 11230 posts

Posted 31 October 2017 - 07:57 PM

I love how there's zero reason for anyone to care what show they are on until they build to SS, then suddenly everyone's ride or die.  Other than Angle, who was just told his job was on the line, why would anyone else care? Do they get a brand supremacy bonus on the next check?  Something that's literally never mentioned 11 months out of the year suddenly becomes so important that heels and faces  band together.

They should make it for the WM main event slot or for the #30 slot in the Rumble to go to the brand. Something like that.

#30 Loss

Loss
  • Admins
  • 44062 posts

Posted 31 October 2017 - 09:27 PM

The rasslin' approach would be to offer big cash bonuses with a life-sized check and trophy for the winning side. A suitable WWE-style compromise would be for the GMs to say the winning team "will have a lot to be thankful for this holiday season" and create mystery around what that means.

#31 sek69

sek69

• Members
  • 11148 posts

Posted 01 November 2017 - 12:05 AM

Big E as Akeem might be the most meta thing ever.

#32 fakeplastictrees

fakeplastictrees
  • Members
  • 845 posts

Posted 01 November 2017 - 12:19 AM

1,000 writers on staff and WWE still can't figure this out. WWE continuously runs into the same issue again and again. We saw this with "The Walkout" and other big angles over the last 10 years. There's no urgency or reason other than needing to sell an upcoming PPV. The 100 meatless and heatless HIAC matches are byproducts of this thinking. Since at least the 3rd week of April, WWE knew SS was on the schedule. I just always hate the Brand vs. Brand matches WWE produces as it all comes down to even-steven booking the night of the PPV ( OMG! Smackdown and Raw are tied 3-3 going into the main event) and WWE hand holding the audience because wrestling fans (despite watching the product all year) will magically forget which wrestler is on which brand unless that wrestler is wearing a t-shirt.

#33 goc

goc

A disgrace to Joe Blanchard

• Members
  • 7475 posts

Posted 01 November 2017 - 12:56 AM

For all the complaining I've seen online about the Raw vs SD stuff the crowds have been REALLY into it. Last week on Smackdown they booed the mentions of Kurt Angle mocking Smackdown and even chanted Under Siege 24 hours after the term even started being used. They were really into it again on this week's Smackdown.

#34 sek69

sek69

• Members
  • 11148 posts

Posted 01 November 2017 - 01:01 AM

Sports fans cheer for teams, nothing new there. My only issue is why would the wrestlers care?

#35 FMKK

FMKK
  • Members
  • 1084 posts

Posted 01 November 2017 - 02:41 AM

The rasslin' approach would be to offer big cash bonuses with a life-sized check and trophy for the winning side. A suitable WWE-style compromise would be for the GMs to say the winning team "will have a lot to be thankful for this holiday season" and create mystery around what that means.

I remember years ago they did a gimmick where members of the winning team each got to book the show for a week, which I thought was an interesting idea. Maybe that could be revisited some time.

#36 goc

goc

A disgrace to Joe Blanchard

• Members
  • 7475 posts

Posted 01 November 2017 - 07:58 AM

Sports fans cheer for teams, nothing new there. My only issue is why would the wrestlers care?

Because professional wrestlers want to win their professional wrestling matches. Why would the wrestlers not want to be on the winning team? Regardless of if they're going to switch teams once the next draft/shake up happens. It's not like free agency makes pro athletes not care about winning the games they play.

#37 Stiva

Stiva
  • Members
  • 889 posts

Posted 01 November 2017 - 09:36 AM

I thought everyone in the WWE just wanted to have some fun, Michael!

#38 NintendoLogic

NintendoLogic

Grim and frostbitten

• Members
  • 3080 posts

Posted 01 November 2017 - 11:09 AM

Because professional wrestlers want to win their professional wrestling matches. Why would the wrestlers not want to be on the winning team? Regardless of if they're going to switch teams once the next draft/shake up happens. It's not like free agency makes pro athletes not care about winning the games they play.

Athletes care about winning games with something real on the line. Raw vs. Smackdown is more akin to a preseason or All-Star game.

#39 Sean Liska

Sean Liska
  • Members
  • 1415 posts

Posted 01 November 2017 - 03:19 PM

Athletes care about winning games with something real on the line. Raw vs. Smackdown is more akin to a preseason or All-Star game.

Maybe but it's worked so far. SD last week did a really surprisingly good number after the big Raw angle. Crowds are hot for it. The product seems to have momentum and purpose. We can very fairly poke holes in the logic but WWE to me had a hot week of TV and I'm looking forward to SS.

#40 Johnny Sorrow

Johnny Sorrow
  • Members
  • 4765 posts

Posted 01 November 2017 - 03:44 PM

I can't speak to the 3 hour version, but RAW on Hulu this week was great.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users