Pro Wrestling Only

[2007-10-07-WWE-No Mercy] Fit Finlay vs Rey Mysterio

Superstar Sleeze

Finlay vs Rey Mysterio - No Mercy 2007

Two of my favorite wrestlers of the mid-00s just going out there and kicking ass. It only takes a couple minutes to be reminded why Rey Rey is considered one of the greatest high flyers of all time. I love how Rey used kicks and dropkicks to the leg to set up his high flying moves. He is so great at making an opponent off balance whether it is through speed or attacking the leg. When he does let up, Finlay gives him no quarter throwing him hard into buckles. Again Rey uses a dropkick to the leg to stay on top. Finlay uses the skirt to blind Rey and club him. Then they use that great Rey slide on his belly spot to go into the post. Finlay decimates Rey's arm (always better than going after his leg). Good hope spots here. I loved Finlay's short arm clothesline and his clothesline cutoff to the 619. Finlay goes for the Shillelagh after using a smoke screen of taking off the turnbuckle cover. Rey mount his big comeback and he drops the dime while Finlay's head is between the ropes and Finlay takes a nasty bump from the apron straight back to floor. He lets us know a ruse. They put him on stretcher and then he hops off and beats the holy hell out of Rey Rey. I like the angle at the end to put some heat on the feud. They had a better match on Smackdown after this, but this is a good way to start the feud. ***

• GSR changed the title to [2007-10-07-WWE-No Mercy] Fit Finlay vs Rey Mysterio
  • 10 months later...

This is a classic Rey match. Rey ruled in the underdog ruled that’s essentially his own with his selling and bumping. Mixed with Finlay’s brutal beatdown made this very compelling to watch. There is some pretty neat counters with Finlay countering a headscissors takeover with a backbreaker and Finlay hitting a nasty back elbow to counter the 619. The finish was pure genius. Finlay takes a nasty bump on the floor and fakes being KO’d only to attack Rey after the match. Wonderful stuff. ***1/2