Pro Wrestling Only

[2007-07-22-WWE-Great American Bash] Umaga vs Jeff Hardy

Superstar Sleeze

WWE Intercontinental Champion Umaga vs Jeff Hardy - Great American Bash 2007

Umaga is the king of the missed move! I love it he uses his own missed moves to set up his opponents' offense. In order for you to defeat him, he needs to make the mistake. So Umaga retains his credible, but the onus is still on the opponent to put him away. Love the psychology. The heat segment is set up by a great Samoan Drop when Jeff tries to take it to the Samoan Bulldozer early. Then there is a loooooooonnngggggg Vulcan nerve pinch which drags this down. Once Umaga starts missing moves business picks up. Umaga slamming his groin into Jeff's knees. Going flying over the top rope. Missing his ass splash in the corner. Going flying into the steel post all set up great Jeff Hardy offense. Whisper in the Wind and the Swanton Bomb got huge pops and reactions for the two counts. Jeff was no slouch selling. He is the modern day Ricky Morton in my opinion, just insane babyface charisma. Umaga shoves him off for the Twist of Fate (I love how they left Jeff with one last move and then Umaga squashed his hope). Huge superkick, ass splash in the corner and Asiatic Spike which Jeff takes a nutty bump for to really sell it. Last five minutes are amazing. Umaga gets what it means to be a monster. ***1/4

• GSR changed the title to [2007-07-22-WWE-Great American Bash] Umaga vs Jeff Hardy
  • 10 months later...

Umaga finally away from Santino Marella and Vince! Umaga ragdolling Hardy sounds like a recipe for huge success to me as Umaga is excellent as a monster. He knows how to use his size and speed to his advantage as well as how to get the best out of his opponent. Umaga uses the most basic moves early on, including an Irish Whip and makes it look so great. Hardy's willingness to go all in on that stuff certainly helps. Jerry offers some excellent commentary in the match too, explaining why the Nerve grip that Umaga does is so effective which is simple yet great insight. Jeff is so good when being killed by someone. He sells Umaga's offence well, bumps his butt off and is incredibly sympathetic which creates tons of heat for the match. Another thing that's good about the match is how most of Hardy? s offence comes from Umaga's mistakes. Whether it's taking too much time to do something or a missed move, Hardy capitalised as it's the only way you can beat him. The near fall with the missed corner splash into a swanton bomb was excellent. The crowd and I totally bought it. Hardy sold the impact of his landing just enough to allow Umaga enough time to recuperate and stay alive. The way it lead to the finish was good too. Overall, this was a great match. Hardy is in his eliminate as the defensive wrestler and Umaga does an Umaga. ****1/4