Pro Wrestling Only

[2003-10-19-WWE-No Mercy] Brock Lesnar vs Undertaker (Biker Chain)

Superstar Sleeze

WWE Champion Brock Lesnar vs Undertaker - No Mercy 2003 Biker Chain

Nowhere near their No Mercy 2002 Hell In A Cell Match classic, but few matches are, but I thought this was pretty good. It was just way too long. Clocking in at around 25 minutes, they could have shaved off ten minutes and it would have been a lot tighter. I still thought there was a lot to love. There was a great undercurrent of how important spacing is in pro wrestling. Anytime, Undertaker has space he is able to unload with those big soupbones and is able to stagger Lesnar. If Brock can close the gap and crowd Taker, he can control the match based on his size. It is two very different ways to control by power. It is a striker's power that needs that distance against a wrestler's power who wants close proximity. I liked how Taker needed to earn Old School. There are not a lot of Biker Chain attempts thankfully. Takes uses La Magistral Cradle. Wow! Taker sells punch drunk well especially off his own headbutts. Brock is like Dan Severn in the UFC early on. He is good at smothering Taker, but has no idea how to put him away. He introduces some stairs well that's one way. Taker hits a nasty piledriver on the stairs. Brock uses a low blow to finally slow down Taker. I'll be honest I cant really remember what happens after this. I don't take notes when I watch matches and usually I can remember if they tell a good narrative. That's the thing, it was a fine match but there was no sense of progression. What remember next is Brock powering out of a Triangle Choke with a powerbomb. Taker Dragon Sleeper, but Brock wriggles free and hits an F-5. It is little move trade-y towards the end. There was definitely a HUGE chokeslam off the top rope which think is a result of Brock trying to go for the Chain since the F-5 didn't work. The chain was way up there. Brock couldn't even reach it standing on the top rope. FBI run-in. THE FBI?!?1 Seriously, bro? Taker does his awesome fucking over the top rope suicide dive that I love so at least there was that. LAST RIDE! Taker goes for Chain and gets it. VinnyMac crotches him and gives the chain to Brock. Brock blasts him for the win. I thought they told an interesting story early, but then they just starting hitting bombs, but I didn't feel like there was much connection between the moves. There was some great moves: piledriver on steps, massive chokeslam and the tope. Just ultimately forgettable, shave off ten minutes and this would have been lean and mean. ***1/4

• GSR changed the title to [2003-10-19-WWE-No Mercy] Brock Lesnar vs Undertaker (Biker Chain)
  • 8 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...

This was typical Lesnar vs. Taker goodness until the stupid run-ins ruined it. At least they led to a hellacious tope from Taker. Vince was ridiculously jacked. The biggest problem with the match is that no-one got to use the chain. They should have made it a regular chain match instead of doing the flagpole gimmick. Still, can't complain about those soupbones. Taker is legit one of the best guys to watch from the WWE in 2003.